AMEK Preamps - can anyone give me a rundown?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
All I know is they're designed by Rupert Neve, Jens Bogren loves the CIB (whatever that is), and I'm curious about 'em! So can anyone give me a rundown on the models?

Metaltastic.....

We have a Amek channel strip down at the studio and i will say i think it's a pretty handy unit.
I have found it favourable on Snares,Guitars and Vocals.
It has an eq section that i don't often use however i most always use the filters on it.
The compressor is good for what it is,i have found it to be best on vocals,particularly with singers who have dynamic range.

Our Amek is the pure path series based on the 9098,a friend of mine who has his own studio and does alot of metal bands,has four earlier models,kinda light greenish and he absolutely swears by it for guitars.
Admittedly.........he does do a damn good job caturing them.

Hope my input is of some use to you.

Cheers

Thanks dude, much appreciated! Is the 9098 considered one of the good ones then? And the non-Neve designed ones not too hot?

I guess you could say that..........but because i have not had extensive use of the Amek range i would be ill qualified to make that assumption.Sometimes pre's surprise you.
Perhaps in an area you hadn't considered using it in,and then do,you find out the unit does a good job of capturing the source for you.
Most things i have thrown at it it seems to do a good job.We have some descent mic's in our arsenal which help the cause and ofcourse the voice your micing needs to be of a good standard.
I like the flexibility it has,eq,comp,phase rev,+48 etc etc and if you were considering buying or trying one out,providing you purchase at a price that's rewarding for you,you'll find the pre amp will equal that feeling.

All I know is they're designed by Rupert Neve, Jens Bogren loves the CIB (whatever that is), and I'm curious about 'em! So can anyone give me a rundown on the models?

I spoke to mr sneap about amek years ago about a particular desk and he said he did not think it was that good, however I have since noticed a Amek eq or preamp 9098 has appeared in his rack!!