Quick Rundown of iLok

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
So, I've never owned an iLok, but I'm seriously considering buying some Waves plugins and I will need an iLok as well.
Can anyone give me a quick rundown of what the iLok really is? I'm not sure I fully understand - I just know I need it for Waves.
What does an iLok do besides let you run software with license codes? It lets you use software you bought on any computer as long as you have your iLok? Do iLoks cause issues on PCs like BSODs or crashes?

I've used computers with iLoks before, but I never paid attention to them specifically.

Thanks

iLoks are awesome. Anyone who is spreading ill will about them doesn't want to pay for software. It's by far the most elegant, no-brainer way to approach software licensing, totally win-win.

I've never had any problems with mine on my PC, and the licensing process is so hassle-free, I love it!

the only POSSIBLE problem you could POTENTIALLY run into with an iLok is something I'm currently experiencing (and its still to be determined) in that it might interfere with windows when installing new hardware ... as far as driver implementation goes. Other than that, its as the others have said, a no brainer. Basically just a dongle that stores your license codes for whatever plugins you have licenses for. It doesn't store your actual plugin or anything, just the license codes

iLoks are awesome. Anyone who is spreading ill will about them doesn't want to pay for software. It's by far the most elegant, no-brainer way to approach software licensing, totally win-win.

yes indeed!
the only down side i have, is i HATE carrying it anywhere. i get VERY paranoid

I don't like mine but I'm forced to use it. Basically I don't like them. I was happy when Logic dumped the dongle as well. That thing was annoying. Especially the one they had for LP 4. Dumb black box thing with a usb cord.

Totally agreed!
But I find a bit stupid that you can't simply remove licenses, expecially the demo ones...
I know it can hold up to 100 licenses (which are a lot indeed), but I don't like to waste slots for demo licenses of product I've decided to not buy...

The USB port it eats up becomes an issue sometimes. Like when you're working on a Laptop and you only have 3 or 4 ports available (and no hub), you're using Cubase, an USB interface and you also want to use an external mouse and hdd.

The USB port it eats up becomes an issue sometimes. Like when you're working on a Laptop and you only have 3 or 4 ports available (and no hub), you're using Cubase, an USB interface and you also want to use an external mouse and hdd.

Buy a USB hub then. I got a cheapy one out of Asda for less than a fiver and it works fine.

I've never understood the aggro some people have for Ilok's to be honest. Much easier than faffing about with serial numbers, challenge/response and authorisation codes! (IK Multimedia are the worst for this)

Totally agreed!
But I find a bit stupid that you can't simply remove licenses, expecially the demo ones...
I know it can hold up to 100 licenses (which are a lot indeed), but I don't like to waste slots for demo licenses of product I've decided to not buy...

You can remove licenses easily using the iLok web app. Also, slashvanyoung - it's always a good idea to take a USB hub with you. I keep a portable one in my laptop bag at all times.

You can remove licenses easily using the iLok web app.
Remove? How?

From the ilok site FAQ: http://www.ilok.com/ilok-faq.html

How do I delete demo or trial licenses from my iLok?
You cannot remove demo or trial licenses from an iLok. If you purchase the corresponding product, you can replace the demo or trial license with the full license. Demo or trial licenses that are part of a Bundle behave differently. These licenses are not replaced by the full license, but are instead Queued. If you need to free up space on a given iLok, you can move your demo or trial licenses to another iLok.