How many of you guys are still iLok-less?

I'd rather not have one if I could avoid it, since I never work in other studios or anything. Therefore, iLok really is not convenient for me at all, and in fact, required me to buy a USB hub. It's also potentially causing issues with some plugs, although i don't know if that's the pace driver or the plugin.

Regardless, I definitely can't avoid having it because of Waves and Slate.

i have an ilok for my sonnox elite bundle and izotope trash/stutter edit and access to many more fully-featured vst demos than the non-ilok'd aeternuseternus

In an ideal world we wouldn't need them but I'd rather have one dongle for all my software than have to jump through hoops if I buy new computer or have to reinstall stuff. I love that I have all of the same stuff available when I work on MBpro as I do on my Win7 PC as well.
In fact, at this point I'm more irritated at the companies that use their own systems than I am with those that use iLok.

Had one for about two years now. Only have maybe 4 - 5 (active) licenses on it, but it gets used every day.

With ilok, i retrieve a feeling i loved about UNIX based OS : in linux, you have all your apps installed in the same way. With it, all plugins are activated the same way.

Using another anti piracy activation gives me the same feeling as when I download a new windows software, cause some will extract to a folder in C: before, or it will find your vst folder, some won't find it and wanna install in /steinberg/vstplugins/. Some will install activeX for the hundreds time, if it's not acrobat. "how is this one gonna want to be installed ?".

With ilok I like the fact I know how to register a plug, and I know I wont have to create a useless account on the developper's website to be the target of spam or have my data stored.

I have two, but considering switching from the current one to ilok2 because of it's size and shape. After I bought the first one, I wish all the plugins used the ilok; super convenient.

I'd have little to no problem with the iLok if it were free

I don't see the validity of this comment, since pretty much almost all the plugins that have iLok authorization cost more than the iLok itself. If 50 bucks break your audio engineering career, don't even start.

Well, it'd be nice if it were just a one-time thing, so that you connect to the internet once and then your stuff's all verified

That is exactly how iLok works.

Bought it about 1.5 years ago. Thought, 99 slots will go a lifetime. Allready at 43....haha.
Loving it, works really easy.

I'm at 47... Yeah, the 99 is pretty limited; Buy the Waves Mercury bundle, and it's almost full instantly :)

Bought a 2 the other day..
So mucch sleeker and smaller. AND you can plug other devices in next to it... unlike the old monstrosity!

I have one, rarely use it though. Most of my plug-ins are either serial or (what I call) "honest-ware". They give you a link to the file, and there's no copy protection.

I'm at 47... Yeah, the 99 is pretty limited; Buy the Waves Mercury bundle, and it's almost full instantly :)

I initially bought it because I had some EWQL packages on the way..some of them allready take up 6 or 7 alone per package.
A bunch of Waves plugins on top of that, Slate..and probally 2 or 3 demos which are expired. Shame you can't remove demos tho!

I still don't rock an iLok.
mainly because I didn't want to spend the extra money.
I don't own any waves plugs or slate plugs (although I do plan on getting slate's trigger soon).
I'm gonna have to get one eventually, I know.

does iLok do anything for the plugs that don't require it? because after having to reinstall everything in March after I got my new Mac Desktop was a pain.

I'm curious ... what did you want it to do for plugins that don't require it? They work without it, that should be good enough right? Or were you thinking you could store activation codes and such on the ilok for those as well?

Yeah I don't quite get what you expect it to do either? If a plugin doesn't use ilok then ilok has nothing to do with it? Do you think it's going to hold the installer and activation codes so it can reinstall and connect to the manufacturers website to re-register or something?