Oct 25, 2009
Norway
As someone who bought into the Beta Version, I received this today:

Dear Slate Digital VCC Customer,

I hope you have had success with the Virtual Console Collection beta
plugin. Although it’s not perfect and has its quirks (as a beta
usually does), many users have claimed that it has made a positive
improvement in their mixes. On behalf of Fabrice and the rest of
the crew, thanks so much for your help in the beta process.

I’m writing today to inform you about the future plans of the VCC
Beta plugin. The initial intent was to release a near final version
called beta3 in the past week. But then something happened which
threw a curve ball in our plans.

And that something is piracy.

A lot of people assume that piracy doesn’t really affect pro audio
companies. Almost every single software company in the industry has
been pirated, and we still keep on releasing new plugins. So we
must be doing good business then, right? Well, no. Even the
largest software companies have had to lay off staff members.

We are far from large. There are a little more then a dozen hard
working guys on our team. Our business is centered around releasing
just a few plugins per year, and putting as much quality and
innovation into them as possible. Therefore, in order to stay
afloat, we rely heavily on the sales of each plugin. Once the VCC
is released, it will be only one of three products that bring us
revenue.

So when one of our products was pirated, it didn’t just hurt us.
It killed us. If we didn’t make a plan to stop it, than we simply
wouldn’t be able to keep developing future plugins.

Coding an audio plugin is an extremely complex task that takes a
talented team of engineers and many, many, man hours. However, the
demographic of customers who purchase audio plugins is not nearly as
large as, for example, the demographic who buy accounting software
or graphic design software. Therefore, when the sales drop due to
piracy, there is absolutely no way to pay for the R&D or marketing.

The current protection that we use on plugins like the upcoming
final VCC is no longer strong enough to prevent piracy. We had to
come up with a solution, or we had to pack up shop. And it was
obvious which path we wanted to go. So, I came up with a plan.. As
you read it below, I hope you can put yourself in our shoes and try
to understand that we have attempted to create the most ethical plan
that will best please a majority of you, the customers, while
protecting our plugin from piracy.

We will end support of the current ilok dongle for the VCC, and
release all remaining VCC updates on the newer ilok dongle which has
much stronger protection against piracy. The new iloks are selling
for $49, but I promised you that for $199 you’d end up getting the
full version of VCC when it was done. So that means we’ll be sending
all of you an ilok on our dollar, including the shipping cost.
You’ll easily be able to transfer all older ilok licenses onto the
new ilok with ease, and it’ll actually hold a lot more then your
original ilok. Your current plugins that run on the old ilok will
work perfectly on the new ilok without hassle.. we tried it.

Now, the problem is with guys on PPC. The newer ilok will not work
with PPC Macs. So we think the fair thing to do is to offer you a
50% refund ($99), or you can take the free ilok and assume that
you’ll be updating to an Intel Mac sometime in the near future. The
choice is yours. We know this is a bummer, and I wish there was some
other way, but there just isn’t.

We’re working out all the logistics to get you these iloks along
with the new update of the VCC (which has many bug fixes including
the much in-demand Brit N fix) very soon.

Again, I thank you for supporting our efforts to make some cool
audio tools that help you make better music, and I hope you find
this solution to be one that is fair for everyone.

Best,

Steven Slate

Personally, as a Beta user, I am thrilled to be receiving a new iLok. It is unfortunate for those users who wish to check out VCC and have to buy a new iLok, though, as iLok2 might be a prerequisite for future plugins from other companies as well. All cred to Slate w/company for keeping their word with regards to the Beta users!

I have to just echo that Steve and co are doing everything right on their end. I completely understand how the crack of one of their plugs can almost be the difference of life and death to continue making plugs. It is a bummer for guys on Mac PPC, but honestly you can't expect a manufacturer to be forward thinking while supporting very outdated systems. I think both the free iloks and giving PPC users the option of refund was more than fair and really shows they are rising to really make sure everyone is taken care of while still securing a future for them to continue making awesome product.

As said though, more and more companies will be switching over so it's nice to know that I'll be prepared for the next plug that requires it.

I really hope this new ilok helps them with the piracy thing. Sad to hear.....

Slate Digital has to be one of the best plugin company's out there though. You may or may not love there product, but this type of stuff for there costumers is just amazing.

I'm so happy i purchased the beta!!!

I'm in two minds about it,

on one hand its good to see the aging (and now impotent) iLok get an update that will hopefully provide developers with decent protection for a while.

on the other hand, if it is going to be a mandatory upgrade for most vendors, its another series of hoops for the legitimate user to jump through.

kudos to the Slate team on the free iLoks though.

I would have bough the new iLok otherwise, free iLok2 is really a great act of customer service.
Do we have to send a mail or anything or will the new iloks just come when the time has come? :lol:
Couldn't get that information from the mail.

on the other hand, if it is going to be a mandatory upgrade for most vendors, its another series of hoops for the legitimate user to jump through.

As is always the case - theft always hurts those that don't commit it the most. Just like insurance fraud raises your rates despite you never getting in accidents or filling claims, piracy has the greatest effect on legal users and purchasers with increased hoops to jump through and ultimately a higher cost to buy the things we want.

I'm glad to see that Steven has an alternative that will hopefully provide a secure alternative to his company going under because of all the illegal downloads of cracked plugs and there users and the bullshit justifications they convince themselves with that they aren't hurting anyone by doing it.

I love this company!

Hopefully all the plugin developers have atleast 2 years quiet...

That sucks so hard for Slate but I hope this company is able to put out more awesome plugins and get healthy enough to feed the team and their familiys!

No it will not. :cry:

Yeah, well this will:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/internet-censorship-pushed-congress/

The government is voting soon (this week) on a bill that will allow the government agencies to shut down websites that share pirated files. Finally we might see some enforcement of copyright law on the internet. I don't agree with the bill entirely, because it gives the government power to censor the internet China-style. But this is the pirate's fault. Sure, some of the knowledgeable pirates will be able to still download stuff, but the majority of people won't be able to figure out how to download music, movies, and software for free.

Y'know... been thinking about this... everyone and his dog has been dropping iLok in favour of in-house challenge/response lately.... I wonder if Pace are struggling to keep their clients, and whether that has anything to do with the free iloks?

Y'know... been thinking about this... everyone and his dog has been dropping iLok in favour of in-house challenge/response lately.... I wonder if Pace are struggling to keep their clients, and whether that has anything to do with the free iloks?

Not according to Slate:
Pace has nothing to do with this situation and has not encouraged us to do anything.. nor do we get any special deal from them other than what you'd expect from bulk purchasing.

From here:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-alert-software/534299-slate-digital-virtual-console-collection-beta-1-a-41.html

Totally awesome of Slate to do this for their customers. I think it is really unfortunate that this kind of situation arose. Piracy really grinds my gears.

picture3.jpg

I hope we don't have to buy an iLok 2 to update Trigger / FG-X. If PT9 doesn't require it, then these shouldn't either...

from the gearslutz thread:

"Both FG-X and TRIGGER will be going through some major software upgrades that will turn them into v2.0. Both will have a lot of great new features, and the FG-X (among other new additions) will have the ITP 2.0 algo which is really something cool.

The charge for these upgrades is going to be around $30, and will also come with a new free ilok. So we didn't forget about the FG-X and TRIGGER guys."

Well, thank fuck I stopped updating Trigger at 1.62 when that horseshit GUI switch happened. I'm already going to have an iLok2 - why should I have to pay $30 for updates and something I don't need, which will undoubtedly still have the shitty GUI?

Thanks steve

Can't please everyone; I don't know of any company that gives such great customer service.