Slate VCC will be iLok2

Oh we definitely will, that's not the question though. The question is either will it be because we want to or because we can't use any of the new tools coming out and are forced to by PACE and plug-in developers? Also something to think about, how much money did Slate absolutely flush down the toilet on man-hours making sure VCC, Trigger and FG-X will work for PPC users just to go with iLok2 Intel Mac-only versions ultimately? You can bet that whatever Slate thinks he is losing out on in sales due to piracy, he, and other devs, is about to lose a lot more by kicking PPC users to the curb. Hell, he just lost me as a VCC, and future plug-ins using iLok2, customer.

One thing I think some people aren't realizing is that all of the PPC users can just forget about support in the form of updates for plug-ins that they have already paid money for. This has basically rendered our purchases down to an all-sales-final type of deal - awesome customer support! I feel totally appreciated.

Technology obsoletes all hardware eventually - PPC was created in 1991, hell the first Pentium chip came out in 1993 eventually becoming the Pentium Pro in 1995, and then the Pentium II was introduced in 1997. I understand that Apple made computers with PPC chips up till 2006, but in technological terms that's very old technology. While it may still "work fine", quite frankly so does a Pentium II for most causes (depending on the software you expect it to run), but you can't hope to continue developers to keep supporting an abandoned technology. Last year Apple dropped PPC support in OS development, why should other app developers not eventually follow suit. Hell - even Cakewalk just upset users with the announcement that the new version of Cakewalk will require the following processor to be considered a "supported system" Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.67 GHz/AMD or Phenom Quad Core 9750 2.4 Ghz. That's a pretty hefty processor requirement (compared to what it was for Sonar 8.5) and it obsoletes a lot of the lower end dual core systems people have that were happily running Cakewalk Sonar. Will X1 run on a lesser chip, possibly but by the sounds of it a feature (one of the main features in X1) called ProChannel may not run well and really bog down CPU usage. I know I have to upgrade my processor so it's cash out of my pocket.

In the end - I feel for all the PPC users, but technology moves forward and developers have to as well and the burden of supporting old systems is a drain on resources.

I can understand that PPC users are annoyed, but as has been said, it's 14 year old technology now, which is a VERY long time in computer land.

Yes PTHD users won't get much in the way of benefits from upgrading to an Intel based mac, but to be honest if you've got a HD based studio then upgrading your computer once every decade or so shouldn't be a problem.

At the end of the day, you're going to have to upgrade from PPC at some point as developers stop supporting it. Why not just bite the bullet now?

Hello guys.

I know its boring to accept things for what they are, and more fun to imagine secret hidden agendas.. But it's just not true.

Here's the reality:
We have two plugins out. Both of them cost a large sum of money to develop. They were selling very well. Then one day, one of them was cracked. The sales of that plugin immediately went way down. If that plugin was cracked when it first was released, assuming it would have sold as low as what it has been since getting cracked, it would not be a profiteable plugin.. and then i can't pay my developers, sales staff, support staff, office space rent, accountants, shipping clerks.. Running a company is expensive, and the obvious idea is to make more money then you spend. Not gonna happen if your products are getting pirated.

So using that as a model, its pretty easy to conclude that if we don't protect future plugins from piracy, then we won't be able to make enough money to exist as a software company.. especially since the customer base of this industry is TINY.

I think that the policy I've created is fair and revolves around our core business model, which is, customers come first.

Purchased both Trigger and FG-X here, very happy with that.

Release an iLok2 CPU optimized FG-X version update and alot of those pirates will probably end up paying just to get that update :)

Oh we definitely will, that's not the question though. The question is either will it be because we want to or because we can't use any of the new tools coming out and are forced to by PACE and plug-in developers?

Er.. well it will always be because you want to. No-one is forcing you to do anything mate.

Also something to think about, how much money did Slate absolutely flush down the toilet on man-hours making sure VCC, Trigger and FG-X will work for PPC users just to go with iLok2 Intel Mac-only versions ultimately? You can bet that whatever Slate thinks he is losing out on in sales due to piracy, he, and other devs, is about to lose a lot more by kicking PPC users to the curb. Hell, he just lost me as a VCC, and future plug-ins using iLok2, customer.

I couldn't really say anything about that. I know nothing about Slate's expenditure ;)

One thing I think some people aren't realizing is that all of the PPC users can just forget about support in the form of updates for plug-ins that they have already paid money for. This has basically rendered our purchases down to an all-sales-final type of deal - awesome customer support! I feel totally appreciated.

But this is really just wilful ignorance of the facts. The fact is, Apple have themselves started to discontinue support for PPC. Pretty soon, no-one at all will support PPC Macs - just like no-one supports Octamed on the Comodore 64 anymore.

It's just the way technology progresses.

I'm hoping that soon we can all move on from Windows XP and discontinue support for that OS too.

So, whats the deal with FG-X and Trigger then? I assume the same thing is going to happen there as well? Triple the suck for a PPC user that maybe bought all three... kinda like paying to be a beta-tester really.

Some things that are'nt clear for me :
- Do you have to buy the VCC Beta ? And if yes, how will it work for customers when V1.0 will be out ? I have seen VCC beta sold on some ebay places.
- I didn't know there was an iLok2 to be released. Will it be possible to delete licenses ?

The VCC Beta is not for sale directly from Slate any more. The final version of the plugin is supposed to be released before the end of the year, but we'll see. When the final version if out, the Beta customers get the full version for free, and anyone else can buy the full version.

Not sure about iLok2, but I'm under the impression you won't be able to delete licenses.

...I have read developers say on KVR they saw massive sales drops the moment their software was cracked.

I would not have guessed this. What developers were these?

I tend to agree with AdamWathan on this topic: if someone is going to make money using expensive music software - producing for money - they pay for the software. If someone is just playing around at home, they're not going to buy Pro Tools or Waves plugins or whatever, regardless of whether they are available for free. If it's available for free, the casual hobbyist will use it. If it's not, they'll get something that is available for free.

Does iLok2 make these companies more money, or does it just keep poor people from using their software, while annoying the heck out of their paying customers? If Cognition is right, maybe it's the former.

I use Reaper because it's excellent and it's cheap. It's priced fairly for the pro user, and it's priced VERY well for the casual user. They get 40 bucks for (almost) every casual user, while Steinberg gets absolutely nothing for every casual Cubase user.

*shrug*

Don't remember which developers I saw on KVR. It was some of the smaller ones, I think. But even Slate said on Gearslutz he saw significant drops in sales for the plugin that got cracked the moment the crack happened. And according to Slate these are so significant drops in sales, that if the plugin had been cracked on release, it would not have made back the costs it took to develop.

I'm curious about this. When I have time, I'm going to search the KVR forums for some info on those music software companies losing money from piracy. This is upsetting. Logic told me they probably didn't lose money from piracy, but I guess I was wrong.

Brett, ummm yikes. I wonder why a famous producer would let people know that he/she was pirating software. That's got to be a good way to get blacklisted.

Slate, does this mean trigger users will have to upgrade their iloks soon as well? Any plans to switch that over? No biggy if so, I mean it's only $50, not the end of the world......just curious.

I understand the need to stay with current copyright protection, it's unfortunate though that right this minute there's 3 guys in a dorm room in russia doing nothing but attempting to hack ilok2 code. Just seems like a battle that will never be won...........

Sorry for the OT but it's ilok related. Before I get the new ilok2 from Slate, I want to know if it's easy to move around licenses from ilok to ilok if I put the ilok2 on the same account as my existing ilok. Mainly because Im about to buy a couple of waves plugs and I dont want to get screwed by them

If I'm not mistaken I believe Slate posted over at Gearslutz that it's fast, easy and free to transfer licenses from iLok1 to iLok2, but to be sure, you can go check out that Gerslutz thread.