How Many of you guys run Linux?

backtrack hahaha. nice. doin a little wifi snoopin eh? i used to have a lot of fun with that stuff hhahaha. i feel like a nerd now. fuck.

i used to use linux and preach it like that douchebag on the jeebus channel. its starting to suffer from bloat now as well though. good for "security testing", surfing the net, watchin flix, listening to musc, and Myth is a great media center alternative. but seriously, someone needs to start seriously developing a solid DAW for it.

I always felt that the fact that there are gazzilions of different distributions out there is one of the reasons why Linux hasn't reached a broader audience (besides the huge game-compatibility factor) yet. That being said, I will be testing Fedora today for the first time...

And isn't it kinda ironic that Reaper hasn't been ported to Linux yet? The idea behind Reaper just screams "Linux!" to me. IYKWIMAITYD.

And isn't it kinda ironic that Reaper hasn't been ported to Linux yet? The idea behind Reaper just screams "Linux!" to me. IYKWIMAITYD.

Yeah, but it probably isn't their fault, they'll have to make it work with a completely different audio engine, and it's no way compatible with vst.. It does work through wine though.

Yeah sure, if that port would be a no brainer it surely would have been done already.

FWIW: I'm currently on here running Fedora 10 for the first time off a live usb... and damn this is awesome. This is the first time I've got my wireless to work with a Linux distri. Everything is kinda really cool right out of the box.

Yeah sure, if that port would be a no brainer it surely would have been done already.

I think it's more to do with the catch-22 of Linux:

Linux doesn't have many audio programs because so few audio people use it... but so few audio people use Linux because it doesn't have good audio programs :lol:

But when you think about it, Linux userbase is EXTREMELY small, while Windows has a HUGE market. So from a business point-of-view, it does not make any sense to go Linux for DAW stuff.

I think it's more to do with the catch-22 of Linux:

Linux doesn't have many audio programs because so few audio people use it... but so few audio people use Linux because it doesn't have good audio programs :lol:

But when you think about it, Linux userbase is EXTREMELY small, while Windows has a HUGE market. So from a business point-of-view, it does not make any sense to go Linux for DAW stuff.

Man, if Presonus can't get drivers out for Windows XP 64 bit by now, Linux just doesn't have a chance.

yeah, I've been snoopin around on here since you told me about it, I figured its time to login and use it. Besides what better place to find out if linux will work with nuendo

The only serious DAW that I know of is the Ardour project - I've tried it, and since my demands were low it didn't get in my way, but you have to sell your soul to some fat, bearded geek to get most interfaces working, VST isn't going to happen on Linux unless you do some questionable and complicated things, and... there's just really no good way to do these things yet. Without drivers there are no users, without users there are no programs, without programs there are no drivers... fuck it all. A lot of devices (like my Audiophile 2496) have no problem running in Linux, and you can get VST working if you really have the patience, but at this point Linux audio is playing 'catchup' and not 'innovate'...

As for how much I use Linux... I'm writing from it right now, I compile my own kernels when I'm bored, if I were wearing clothes right now I'd probably have a Slackware shirt on, and I play with Linux audio just to see how it's coming along and try to help. I've actually stopped 'recording' (and moved entirely onto very controlled experimentation) because the lack of... everything is so depressing.

I would personally spend the same time that would be spent setting up a Linux audio workstation on Hackintosh experimentation - and I hate OS X.

Jeff