How Many of you guys run Linux?

Immortal Extinction

Extinction of God
Feb 20, 2004
Hi, I've been watching this forum for sometime now, but this is my first post here. I have Nuendo 3.0 and are currently running XP, But was thinking about switching to Linux. Are there any advantages or diadvantages to running Linux? will there be any issues with running Nuendo or any of its plugins?

AFAIK Nuendo doesn't run on Linux natively at all. You'd have to use a rather complex workaround with wine etc.

You'd be probably better off sticking to XP.

It's not worth it to make the switch, honestly. Linux is great for your everyday computing needs, but it really does lack in the audio category, and it's very picky with all hardware...

Thanks for the input, I've always heard Linux fans raving about how much better it is, but never heard anything about it used on a system running a DAW. I'll just stick with XP pro, for it does the job quite well considering the computer I"m working with

Hi, I've been watching this forum for sometime now, but this is my first post here. I have Nuendo 3.0 and are currently running XP, But was thinking about switching to Linux. Are there any advantages or diadvantages to running Linux? will there be any issues with running Nuendo or any of its plugins?

What made you want to run Linux in the first place? Generally, you should know something about the beast before trying to hunt it, right? You don't just go, Where's my shotgun? I'm going fishin'

I"ve heard alot in the past that it runs better than XP, and recently curiousity struck me on whether it would be good for running recording software

I use Linux, but not for audio. It's a great operating system and it's really come a long way. The latest version of Ubuntu Linux is amazing, but there is still a lack of usable drivers and DAW software, not to mention plugins, that can run on Linux.

The next couple of years might see the emergence of Linux as more of a contender for DAW applications, but they'll need to figure out how to make inroads with manufacturers to get open driver support.

What said above, linux is great for daily use, and developing, but no good daw yet. But hopefully something will come around and get produced for unix-based systems soon, the JACK audio engine is just too powerful, and way vertasile. You can get reaper to run properly on it though, if you're too much of a freak :p