American black metal sucks ! ! !

Originally posted by markgugs
Noctes, Noctuary, Absu, Judas Iscariot, Somnus, Averse Sefire, Vesperian Sorrow, those are but a few of the high quality AMERICAN black metal

Noctes are Swedish Mark. And yeh, Agalloch are certainly not black metal.

There was a USBM band that got 9/10 in the newest Terrorizer, and was 40 in their top 40 albums of 2002 list. Can't remember the name though :rolleyes:

I can't say I know many good USBM bands, but there does seem to be a lot of unneccesary elitist attitude in this thread, mostly coming from Europeans.

I'm sure there are some American black metal bands that are good, but I haven't heard them yet. I checked out Acheron today and I think they suck. I know that America has better black metal bands than that. There is a local band called Year Of Our Lord who are pretty good. They definitely have some black metal influence, but I wouldn't say that their music is really black metal.

Originally posted by Sadistik
there is some great BM from the US...Shroud of Despondency, Summon, Thornspawn, Sarcophagus, Judas Iscariot, Sumeria, Vuldetyrne, Agalloch, Averse Sefira, Nachtmystium, Demonsword, Legions, Nokturne, Bloodstained Dusk, Lorde of All Desires, and more.....

Atta boy! Lorde of All Desires, or "LOAD" for short :)lol:) were FUCKING GREAT. I'm such a nerd that I have a tattoo from a shirt design of theirs. Loved that band so much.

In defense of Lorde, they actually had some good stuff going after i left. That little 3 song promo they did was really good, minus the live version of "Crowned in Blasphemy" with Daves horrible vocals. If only they could have done more, there could be some black metal competition in the Minneapolis scene, with Theatre of the Macabre and Autumn Decay now out of the mix. Who is left but us and Teratism? Oh well...

a thing that is so special about european (non-satanic) black metal is that they often refer to the history of their country and also add folklore in lyrics aswell as the music! most americans however have forgotten their genuine heritage and you don't want to hear them singing about hamish people settlers or cowboys! :)
the history of the usa is a christian one! they have no pagan past, except for the native americans!
go ask an american of german or scandinavian descent what he knows about his country of origin: "ey, we fought them in world war 2 and they eat a lot of sausages and drink beer" or "they live in small huts and everyone has a sauna and it's allways cold and dark"! :rolleyes:
so in atheistic death metal they might have a say (but don't forget swedish melodic death, which got me into extreme metal in the first place), but in pagan black metal they fail! however i really like agalloch, but that's not your typical american band eighter!
:D

Originally posted by Aggressor
Well we do... it seemes that most of the American bands really dont get it, either they play some mix of death and thrash or they just make alot of noise and think that it is Black Metal.
Im not saying that this goes for all American Black Metal bands, by the way, Thor's Bloody Hammer I checked out some of you stuff, and I must admit that it has a good feel to it...

Perhaps you need to familiarize yourself with Relapse Records.

When it comes to black metal, I agree that Norway, Sweden, and Germany house the majority of the best bands. But to say that American black metal sucks just means that you haven't looked hard enough for the good shit.

Absu, Fog, Dragonlord (members of Testament), Garden of Shadows (kind of a blend of melodic death and black), Kult of Azazel (for the Marduk freaks), Sanctus (reminds me of a mix of Naglfar and Dimmu), Scholomance (technical as shit black/death), and Veneficum.

Oh yeah, I forgot the best black metal band this side of the Atlantic.....VESPERIAN SORROW.

Now shut up about your European black metal (gay) "pride" and open your fucken ears.