Amon Amarth means...

Brainkisser

Master of War
Feb 21, 2003
NJ, USA
www.monmouth.com
The only meaning I know of for the words Amon Amarth is from Tolkien, meaning 'hill of doom' or specifically Mount Doom. Anyone know if there's another meaning out there?

np: AA - Down the Slopes of Death

Amon Amarth
[size=-2]'Mount Doom'
The name given Orodruin by the people of Gondor when it burst into flame before Sauron's attack on Gondor in the second age year 3429.
[/size]

[size=-2] Referenced from Tolkiens World From A to Z, The Complete Guide to Middle Earth-Robert Foster[/size]

[size=-2]AND ACTUALLY IT COMES FROM THE SILMARILLION, NOT LOTR[/size]

http://www.metalgoddessamb.com/OriginsofBandNames2.html

speaking of fantasy-inspired names; i saw a band on some site called "Lanfear" that's one of the forsaken in Robert Jordans WOT-epic, it doesn't feel anything near as good as tolkien-inspired ones, think they were italian btw ;)

spaffe said:
speaking of fantasy-inspired names; i saw a band on some site called "Lanfear" that's one of the forsaken in Robert Jordans WOT-epic, it doesn't feel anything near as good as tolkien-inspired ones, think they were italian btw ;)

Hey, I'm reading the Wheel Of Time series now...I'm on the second one. (The Great Hunt)

So how is the Robert Jordan series? I have been curious about that for a while.
Also, are there any of you who have read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series? Very much like LOTR in some respects, but very different too. I would certainly recommend it.

well i've read 15 WOT-books and i really enjoyed the first ones, (in sweden every american WOT-book is divided into 2 books, a very lame trick to make some more money, or because the readers will have to wait a shorter time for the book to be translated if you divide it) but i grew tired of them, nothing happened but the vast world he has created is still very intriguing. perhaps lost interest because of the swedish way of releasing them, because there's only in every two of the books that there's an ending, the other ones end in the middle of the story, and you have to wait until the next part is published, very annoying :(

anyway now i'm good enough at english to read them untranslated, perhaps i'll start re-reading them this summer.

Robert Jordans WoT is great... at least the first three or four books. After that it becomes an endless droning of repetitive bullshit. The man is just out to make more money, so he keeps pushing the grand finale... at first there were going to be eight books... then nine... now there are ten, and #11 is in the process... so I think he got money-mad... He should have stopped after four books or so, it would have been excellent. Now it's like Dallas or Falcon Crest in Fantasy-version...

Nefilim said:
Robert Jordans WoT is great... at least the first three or four books. After that it becomes an endless droning of repetitive bullshit. The man is just out to make more money, so he keeps pushing the grand finale... at first there were going to be eight books... then nine... now there are ten, and #11 is in the process... so I think he got money-mad... He should have stopped after four books or so, it would have been excellent. Now it's like Dallas or Falcon Crest in Fantasy-version...

Yeah, somebody else told me they stopped after the fifth book. I like it so far, I don't love it, but it's keeping me interested, for now.

Wheel of Time kicks ass! Not as much as LotR of course, but still. Granted some of the books drag a bit, but then there's so many sub-plots and such an insane amount of detail and intrigue you kind of have to have some boring parts here and there. The series has inspired a black metal band from Australia (I think) called Myrddraal. Some parts of the series are just amazing; the kind of moments you want to see in movies, like the battle of Dumai's Wells. Book 10 just came out, but nothing really happened in it sadly. It's looking to be about 13 books now, but it'll probably be longer; hell, in 1984 RJ said it would be a trilogy. Ok, I'll shut up now. :p

Oh yeah, I'm reading Silmarillion now, but I'm only up to Beren and Luthien. Probably won't be able to finish till summer cause of classes. :yell:

Brainkisser said:
Oh yeah, I'm reading Silmarillion now, but I'm only up to Beren and Luthien. Probably won't be able to finish till summer cause of classes. :yell:
too bad, i finished it some months ago, but i can't say i enjoyed it as much as the ring-trilogy, the story is too fast; some thousand years crammed into ~400 pages. but there are some really beautiful parts in it, perhaps i should read it again.
hehe the list is getting long :)

np: metallica - for whom the bell tolls

WoT is good, as has already been said, although the later books drag a bit (Winter's Heart is OK; haven't read Crossroads of Twilight yet) they're still worth reading.

I don't give much for the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, though. I don't understand how absolutely everyone can love those books, everyone except I.

Didn't like The Chronicles, eh? That's too bad, but of course it was many years ago that I read them. It is more individualized, I think, than many other fantasy type novels, which I'm sure can make a difference.
On a whole other note, is there any one out there who is into The Dark Tower series, by King? This is a truely archetypal epic that has kept me withdrawn into the dark depths for many years. So is there any one else familure with Roland and the Beam?

Yeah! Dark Tower is very good. Even though (or perhaps thanks to) it's extremely uneven, it's one of the best series around... but the books come out too far apart! How old is The Gunslinger, really? 15 years?

BTW, I hope you have read The Talisman and Black House, too? In case you had missed it, Black House sort of intertwines with DT.

gcele,
Bad ass that you are up to speed on the way of Ka. The Gunslinger is very old. I remember reading it for the first time when I was in 5th or 6th grade. Now I'm 23 so that was a long time ago. I actually have the Talisman and Black House up on my shelf and I plan to get after those very soon. It seems like most of King's later writings have been related to the Tower. Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis, and The Green Mile all kind of answer some questions. I'm planning on a reread of the previous 4 DTs before the 5th (and, I think, final) comes out. Have you read the prologue to 5 that is on SK's web site?

Yup, I read the prologue. And if I'm not mistaking, the priest from Salem's Lot shows up there, as the Old Fella. Seems like SK is determined on bending every book he's ever written towards the Tower. And oh... Ted Brautigan, from "Hearts in Atlantis", he's kinda mentioned in Black House.

BTW, book 5 isn't the last, there's two more after that, both scheduled for 2004. Fortunately, it seems there will be no more seven year gaps between the books :)