Amon Amarth

Audun_Of_Bodom said:
Its this simple if you like that music like myself you will like With oden on our side. Its a very killer album. Yes alot of their stuff is similar but this album is different. I would say its heavier and darker. Amon Amarth are fuckin great probably one of the best death metal or whatever kind of music you want to call it around today

lmao

NineFeetUnderground said:
how is that worse? The Lord of the Rings books are a commendable, valid and important literary work. Its hardly on par with some fat greasy guys from sweden taking their shirts off and drinking mead, thinking theyre now some sort of viking descendants and writing heavy metal music which has NOTHING to do with viking culture whatsoever.

but then again i forgot you listen to japanese power metal, so this is pretty fruitless.

Their songs have "NOTHING to do with viking culture whatsoever"? I'm sure your Masters Degree in the college of BS helped you explain that one. Basically what you are saying is that because Vikings didn't play distorted guitars that Amon Amarth's songs have nothing to do with viking culture. Their lyrics may be embellished sometimes but they have everything to do with viking culture. The majority of their lyrics come from mythological stories that deal with Norse Gods and Norse "culture". Ancient Scandinavians (most noteably Sweden) were seafaering peoples with strong beliefs in Gods and the supernatural who had a tradition of exploring and conquering foreign lands. Normandy, France was named after the Norman vikings who invaded that territory for centuries. Traces of vikings have even been found in southern Europe and probably discovered America. My point is, if you dont think that their song writing has anything to do with conquering, killing, mythology, Gods, people, ships, etc then I don't see how that doesn't make up viking "culture". And clearly you spend your time degrading other bands' music and their fans to fill your quota of "I know everything". I guess you'll either not reply or reply with some clever remark. Either way its safe to say you can go ahead and check off Amon Amarth on your list of bands waiting to be criticized for failing to meet the standards of your supreme being.

The Hubster said:
Amon Amarth is like a well made coffee made with the cheapest blend.

yeah, the only things I like a bit about them are production-related. Instruments sound crisp and guitars very meaty. The music is as dull as a PC tweaker giving you a full history of every graphics card they've ever owned.

My two year old son liked them when we watched them live on the CloseUp festival last spring. We saw a few bands I can't remember, plus Amon Amarth, Katatonia, Bolt Thrower and Opeth. He seemed to enjoy Amon Amarth most, but then again, he fell asleep during Bolt Thrower and missed Opeth totally.

As for my opinion about them... Live they were ok, but I have so much other music I'd rather listen to when I'm home/commuting/working.

Jitterboogie said:
Their songs have "NOTHING to do with viking culture whatsoever"? I'm sure your Masters Degree in the college of BS helped you explain that one. Basically what you are saying is that because Vikings didn't play distorted guitars that Amon Amarth's songs have nothing to do with viking culture. Their lyrics may be embellished sometimes but they have everything to do with viking culture. The majority of their lyrics come from mythological stories that deal with Norse Gods and Norse "culture". Ancient Scandinavians (most noteably Sweden) were seafaering peoples with strong beliefs in Gods and the supernatural who had a tradition of exploring and conquering foreign lands. Normandy, France was named after the Norman vikings who invaded that territory for centuries. Traces of vikings have even been found in southern Europe and probably discovered America. My point is, if you dont think that their song writing has anything to do with conquering, killing, mythology, Gods, people, ships, etc then I don't see how that doesn't make up viking "culture". And clearly you spend your time degrading other bands' music and their fans to fill your quota of "I know everything". I guess you'll either not reply or reply with some clever remark. Either way its safe to say you can go ahead and check off Amon Amarth on your list of bands waiting to be criticized for failing to meet the standards of your supreme being.

What hes saying is that they are using a 'media' that couldnt be further from the old viking tradition they ramble on about in their lyrics, even the damn lyrics are pretty much the same as all the other albums. which makes it absurd to even consider the band renacting the 'old ways'. Fact is the only similaritie that 'metal' has with that kind of mythology is that the guys playing it have long hair and beards. Pretty much nothing else except for the forced lyrics.

affinityband said:
What hes saying is that they are using a 'media' that couldnt be further from the old viking tradition they ramble on about in their lyrics, even the damn lyrics are pretty much the same as all the other albums. which makes it absurd to even consider the band renacting the 'old ways'. Fact is the only similaritie that 'metal' has with that kind of mythology is that the guys playing it have long hair and beards. Pretty much nothing else except for the forced lyrics.
Is that any different from a band singing about LOTR? Unless the band members consist of hobbits, dwarves and elves that is... ;)

Jitterboogie said:

That is just so incredibly interesting. I totally didnt expect a full history lesson on viking culture due to discussing some absolutely awful heavy metal band who thinks growing a beard and drinking meade in a music video makes them closer to their barbarian ancestors. Grow a brain, stop worrying about the size of your penis instead. kthxbye

Stilgar said:
Is that any different from a band singing about LOTR? Unless the band members consist of hobbits, dwarves and elves that is... ;)

the difference is that summoning KNOWS theyre just making music. and its based of a FICTIONAL story, in which they are making music which is blatantly also FICTICIOUS. Amon Amarth seems to have A LOT of trouble making that distinction. At least Quorthon attempted to have some sort of cultural or historical direction in his viking albums...Amon Amarth are basically every other melodeath band if you took out the lyrics. Its an absolute joke.

edit: you dont see me flopping around wearing a Benjamin Franklin costume playing heavy metal and singing about getting signatures on the decleration of independence. The whole thing is just ludicrous. They should be reading or digging, or preserving or teaching...instead of headbanging. The morons.

I really don't see the problem with them writing lyrics about vikings. They like the topic; leave them be.

Anyway, I like them. Just some damn good metal. I don't know if I'd rate them in my top bands but whatever, they're good.

Oh by the way, I'm sure Amon Amarth know they're just making music too. What the hell else would they think they'd be making?

NineFeetUnderground said:
That is just so incredibly interesting. I totally didnt expect a full history lesson on viking culture due to discussing some absolutely awful heavy metal band who thinks growing a beard and drinking meade in a music video makes them closer to their barbarian ancestors. Grow a brain, stop worrying about the size of your penis instead. kthxbye

Haha you're too easy to aggrivate..."stop worrying about the size of your penis"...thats funny coming from someone who devotes their life to degrading others' opinions on this forum.