Amorphis- Eclipse

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
This is a review I did of the latest release from Amorphis :) Please, tear this apart, I want to refine my reviewing skills

Amorphis- Eclipse
Nuclear Blast- 2006

Veterans Amorphis are at it again, with their remarkable follow up to Far From the Sun: Eclipse. Plagued by many unfortunate events that eventually led to the departure of their original front man Pasi Koskinen, they have trudged on, completing the difficult task of finding a new vocalist. Tomi Joutsen, the newest addition to Amorphis brings incredible charisma to the record. Personally I think he fits the job perfectly, and old Amorphis fans will not be disappointed by his performance.

Having not heard any bootlegs of Tomi, I did not know what to expect when I thrust the CD into the stereo. I was greeted by unique keyboard tones, dazzling guitar melodies, and a perfect combination of baritone growls and clean vocals. It was a pleasant experience, including certain moments of complete bliss as the group plunged into epic choruses and stepped back to allow for an occasional atmospheric solo. Sometimes, however, I wish the band would stray from the generic formula of verse to chorus, just to mix things up.

With influences ranging from death metal to progressive rock, this album is sure to make many happy. Highlights include Perkele, The Smoke and Brother Moon, although all tracks hold a specific meaning and mood. If you like to hear pretty melodies, impressive vocals, an occasional growl or two and the icing of keyboards, this is the album for you.

8.5/10

Ya, this is a pretty good album, my first purchase from Amorphis :) How was Tomi live?

I'm surprised that people are agreeing this is a good album. I usually see this album get ripped on because its not like the old stuff. Old Amorphis is ok, but I have to say the Eclipse and Silent Water are far better in my opinion. Its like they found their niche and sticking too it.