amp problem(?)

Linqua5150

New Metal Member
May 8, 2008
im not sure if this is a problem or not butive been playing around with my tone recently and instead of doing the old school thing where you have the gain low and the volume high, ive been experimenting with having the gain and the volume high to get more distorion and better solo tone quality. im looking for a wintersun, bodom ish tone but ive been trying to mess around with the knobs for more of a heavyer chunk sound. now the tone is pretty good(still messing with it tho) but every time i move my hand there is that giant scratching noise of the hands sliding on the strings. is there a way to eliminate this and still get some high gain going? please recommend any settings ill play around with any of them. im a bit of an amp noob as i usually just play unhooked or through my mini amp because people in my house love the quiet.

i have a marshall avt 150. i have a faded gibson sg, and a hot head distortion pedal that i actually dont use. if itll help ill use it.

thanks guys

Indeed. It's called gain for a reason. Everything that happens to the strings will produce sound, so be more careful. Your technique will clean up pretty soon.

yes, technique, seems to me some round wound strings are scratchier than others too, but thats speaking of cheap strings Ive had arrive on new guitars, doubt your Gibson has these.

ok ill mess with the gain some. i use ernie ball super slinky strings. any recommended asettings to at least give me a starting point or something?

well, I use EB 10s, which I recommend. The super slinkys won't give you a very heavy sound, and will contribute somewhat to the scratching. But basically, just learn to control your hands so that you don't hit extra strings or whatever. You should be able to play on maxed gain and not make any sounds you don't want to make.

hmm looks like im gonna try to go to guitar center pretty soon and check out some new strings too. any recommended ernie ball strings to try? or others in general besides the ones youve mentioned?

Yeah, I think I had some Elixirs on mine at one point and they were great.

As far as ernie balls, try the regular slinky. Your guitar probably isn't set up for anything heavier.

hey, i just looked up the gauges ofthe ernie balls. i have super slinky on my guitar. i have a spare pack of extra slinky. now weareinflames, the regular slinky are heavyer than the super slinky which i currently have on my guitar. the extra slinky are the lightest and ill put these on my guitar soon.