Amp Settings Help

Randall Nasworthy

New Metal Member
Nov 4, 2012
Right now I'm running an Ibanez RG4Ex through a Line 6 amp and then out from that straight through the DI. I was wondering what are the best settings to set my amp at.

I've read that you're not supposed to record a lot of bass with guitars because it will take up too much space in the mix. So should I set the bass to zero?

I'm trying to achieve a general heavy, clean, tight sound. No, not Joey Sturgis' sound. But you could compare what I'm going for to the sound on the new The Word Alive CD Life Cycles. I'm just new to mixing and arranging and am having trouble finding a place to start. I don't want to get all the way through recording and realize, "oh I should have recorded the guitar with more bass" or something like that to where I would have to start all over.

make sure to record the clean DI tracks along with the amp so you can reamp later! It will be alot easier learning that way as opposed to having to re record every time you want to change the tone. Just get the amp to sound good in the room and maybe add some mids mids and cut some gain after. Take an sm57 and place it at the center of the speaker cap and move it around until it sounds good. Just takes a lot of practice.

I'm not a big fan of itb guitar amp simulators. I not sure how I would re-amp the guitar and produce a decent sound. The ones I have experimented with don't really sound good and cause a lot of latency and other issues that takes more time to fix than its worth really. I'm sure if I had a 16 core w/ a 20000 rpm hard drive it wouldn't be an issue lol. But I don't and the amped di'd is the best sound I can come up with. It actually even sounds better than mic'd input imo.

I think I've figured out you just have to feel around for it. I just set up the tone I want and eq it later. The only problem is, with this line 6, there's so much drive to it swallows the mix. And if you lower the drive, the amp sounds like crap lol so its a lose lose. There's no gain option, just drive lol. Its a spider III half stack. I would never advise anyone to get a line 6 amp, They are terrible.

I'm not a big fan of itb guitar amp simulators. I not sure how I would re-amp the guitar and produce a decent sound. The ones I have experimented with don't really sound good and cause a lot of latency and other issues that takes more time to fix than its worth really. I'm sure if I had a 16 core w/ a 20000 rpm hard drive it wouldn't be an issue lol. But I don't and the amped di'd is the best sound I can come up with. It actually even sounds better than mic'd input imo.

I think I've figured out you just have to feel around for it. I just set up the tone I want and eq it later. The only problem is, with this line 6, there's so much drive to it swallows the mix. And if you lower the drive, the amp sounds like crap lol so its a lose lose. There's no gain option, just drive lol. Its a spider III half stack. I would never advise anyone to get a line 6 amp, They are terrible.

If you record a d.i. track you can reamp through your actually amp. But this way you can always reamp, edit, or decide to use a plugin. I just started messing around with peavey revalver and i am loving the sound. The 6505+ sounds great.

Any line 6 amp is a awfully painful day to get sounding good, aside from the bogner spiders which just meh.

Di and reamp or get a high end amp for tracking day.

There are some great write ups in the Sneap forum - foh