Amp simulation with computer?

Eddy

Old fart on this board
Apr 15, 2001
Fin fuggen land
I remember Sapper mentioning something about this on the old board.

Any ideas of programs that can do this?

I'm asking because I don't have proper amp that I could use for recording and I'd be interested to see what those progs can do.

All info welcome! :)

In reality? Do you know what those things cost? Bloody half week's paycheck! :D

I'll do some research on that Cakewalk prog. Thanks for the tip! :)

I saw mention of some programs that do this on guitar.com. Didn't look into it too much...as I have a POD.

....I guess I could continue bragging and say it didn't cost me a half a weeks paycheck either...only about a day paycheck. :p ...hmm...but probably BEFORE taxes... :(

I have seen them in my travels on the web before, but I don't exactly remember where. Most were DirectX plug-ins that would work in n-track. The only thing is that they will mostly require a fair amount of processor power to run well.

If I come across any Eddy, I'll let you know.

Good luck! :D

Ive used a couple of them. The problem I have with them is that they are really only handy when you can use them in real time when recording. The problem with this is that the computer can't handle it emulating the sound whilst recording and playing. So it didn't work too well for me and I have 256meg.

I think the pod is the only real answer unfortunatly.

IC - Could it just be that your soundcard could not handle playing (with modeling) and recording? I know some higher end cards can handle some of that stress itself taking less pressure off of the CPU/memory.

Originally posted by rabies
....I guess I could continue bragging and say it didn't cost me a half a weeks paycheck either...only about a day paycheck. :p ...hmm...but probably BEFORE taxes... :(

:p
Where's the finger smiley when you need one...

Thanks for the tips guys! :)

Doh! ...I guess not crossy. I had to move UP to a soundblaster live to get a performance increase (N-track was hiccuping all the time before when trying to record/play simultaneous).

Oh well...I guess you can't expect a lot for free?

I use Cakewalk guitar tracks. It only supports 8 tracks of audio unless you bounce tracks. It does have an amp simulator effect built in. You can select between a couple of different voicings, British, American.
I have problems when I use the amp simulator on my computer.
It seems to add some weird little pops and clicks to an otherwise good sounding track.
Cakewalk does have a product called guitar studio that has more features than guitar tracks, but I haven't used that program.
It might have better amp simulation than my prog. does.

I just installed Cakewalk Guitar Studio 2. I can't see any difference at the moment. I'll check it out today.

Mr Hyde the clicking is probably to do with the processing of the effects. That same thing happens to me when I try getting it to process the sounds in real time. oh and welcome to the guild :)

I tried Cakewalk's Audio FX plugins that have the amp sims on with N-track, but there was a 1 second delay between what I played and what I heard! Very confusing!! Shame because the plugins sound wicked! :)

I dowloaded the Cakewalk plugins too, but I haven't tried 'em yet 'cos I have to get and install N-track again due to bloody computer problems couple weeks ago that made me wipe out every single Windoze program from me hard-drive...:(