Good bye amp simulation :)

The impulse clip sounds pretty good, but the real amp really shines! It has the thick bottom end and smooth highs that sims struggle with. Nice tone. What was your mic placement like?

Thanks dude. Nothing special, just an sm57 whacked (roughly) bang in front of the cone, in my bedroom/project studio area at a pretty unreasonable volume level, but not loud enough to deliver "tha bawlz!".

I waved bye bye to using amp sims a couple of years ago, it's the only way to be sure, although I do love some of the tones people here have got using various sims and impulses.

In most cases I'll drag out the 5150, crank the fuck out of it, job done = happy client..

Yeah, like a Bugera 6260 (277€) + HB 212 w/V30's (198€) .

Thats a great rig for a guitarist on a budget. I would personally go with an Avatar Cab but thats my personal preference. The 6260 is a great amp and I am really impressed with how it sounds next to the 5150. My friend just bought one and we did an A/B comparison and I was really impressed with it. Took a bit more to get it to open up like the 5150 but that was probably the Bogera Tubes vs my JJ's that made the difference. He just ordered some JJ's so I will let you know how it turns out once we get them and load them up.

I am really stoked to check out the TriRec!

Impulses have a long way to go before they can replicate "gear" properly.

Rooms - yes.

Amps - no.

It's all to do with the way impulse technology and impulses are made, and the linearity of the systems when we should be thinking non-linear. Processing required though is pretty intensive.

Is there something in the middle that's not amp sims?

yes

tube amp line out-->cab impulse

still not as ideal as a cab actually pushing air in front of a mic, but definitely a cut above an amp sim into impulses, and you can get good tones with any piece of shit cab

Honestly I think the sound we recognize as a "real amp" is all in the power tubes and the speaker cabinet. A real amp's FX Send + impulses still sounds like an amp sim to me, and so does the axe-fx, and anything that makes use of impulse responses. Always has that sterile 2d sound that just doesn't seem to breathe the same way. Listening to the guitar tone competition you can quite easily distinguish between amp sims and mic'd amps, and it doesn't have anything to do with the character of the preamp distortion.

What if you use a amp sim and send it to the return of a tube amp (only using the power amp) and micing that one up? Anyone ever experimented with that?

What if you use a amp sim and send it to the return of a tube amp (only using the power amp) and micing that one up? Anyone ever experimented with that?

Wouldn't that be better to use a dedicated power amp, like a Fryette 90/2/90 or one of the Mesa Boogie power amps rather than using the power amp section of a complete amp head?

Well, the reason I was asking: I have a Windsor head, but I think it's a bit a one trick pony... it does the JCM sounds really good, but no great clean or recto sounds... and for it's price, I can't use a dedicated power amp for that money ;) So maybe I just trail and error to see if this work with Podfarm Platinum.

I remember andy posted saying he used a sim of a 6505 (can't remember which one) plugged into the power section of a real 6505 and real cab and he said he could get it so he could barely hear the difference between the real pre and the modeled pre

I did this a while back with my vakveking (before i got m 5150). I got some ok sounds but I never recorded any of it. It could possibly sound better with some more tweaking but I never bothered spending a ton of time on it.

Another thing Id like to try is playing through an amp sim like normal and micing one of the monitors. At least there would be some air movement. I think someone hear has tried it a while ago, but I dont remember the results.

I just recorded my POD XT pro with a Rocktron Velocity power amp (no tube) to my Marshall 1936 cab. And I liked more than the particular patch recorded directly from the POD to my DAW.... I could imagine similar or better results with Podfarm to the Windsor..... :)

I used to do this with my POD XT and my Marshall DSL a couple of years ago for gigging. As long as you disable the cab and mic modelling then it sounds great imo. The power tubes seem to take alot of the fizz of the amp sim away and once you get the power amp working a bit and the speakers are moving it sounds awesome.