AmpliTube 4

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hello all,

So, Ola uploaded a demo of it yesterday, seemed quite interesting, so I just got the thing and been fiddling with it tonight.

Some of the features are quite nice (like the bundled graphic eq, the standalone function, and all the customization in it).. I guess it's been too long for me without a ''new sound'' haha, and this thing packs a bunch of potentially usable ones (at least to sit and doodle around with, anyway).

It's been out for quite a while it seems. Has any of you used it yet? Any opinions, perhaps beyond a first impression?

Cheers

Last edited:
I have it, but didn't pick up the Mesa pack. The stock amp sims are pretty decent, although they seem fairly unchanged from the A3 versions. The new Marshall bundle that comes with A4 is awesome, though. Honestly, the Cab Room alone makes A4 worth the price of admission. It's made a huge difference in tone to me.

Tried it and didn't like it for high gain tones. If you notice, every tone that Ola shows in its video, the gain on the amps are maxed out. This is very unpractical, since you end up with no margin. The tones "in general" are ok, it's just that they really didn't model the gain well. Each amp has a significant lack of gain.

For example, we use a 3Ch. Dual Rectifier very often, and we have the gain at around 1 o'clock, maybe 2 o'clock. On amplitube I set it at maximum, basically like Ola does. Other option is to add gain by turning up the gain knob of the overdrive, but again... it isn't really emulating what I'm doing in real life.

If I'd spend money on such a sim package (Amplitube, GTR, Overloud...), I think I'd only get the Overloud stuff. From what I heard, it sounds much better and closer to the real deal.

If I'd spend money on such a sim package (Amplitube, GTR, Overloud...), I think I'd only get the Overloud stuff. From what I heard, it sounds much better and closer to the real deal.

I second that! Overloud TH3 is the best and most realistic ampsim to my ears - unfortunately pretty underrated. The cabs are very good too, but you can increase tone quality with external IRs like those from Ownhammer or Celestion. Not that much away from a Kemper, IMHO.

So Overloud is still the best option for high gain it seems. Nonetheless the demo Ola did sounds really good. I wonder if Fractal or Kemper eventually are going to release something in vst form anytime soon, like line6 did with the Helix. I think i heard something about Fractal going Vst too but that was like 2-3 years ago.

Have you tried Kazrog's Thermionic? I have all of them and giving test drive to TH3 was underwhelming, cab section was amazing tho.
I had same feeling as I had when I gave a test to Amplitube 3, before A4 was out.

So Overloud is still the best option for high gain it seems. Nonetheless the demo Ola did sounds really good. I wonder if Fractal or Kemper eventually are going to release something in vst form anytime soon, like line6 did with the Helix. I think i heard something about Fractal going Vst too but that was like 2-3 years ago.
I doubt it. They want to sell their hardware. Why should they release vst that cost much less and in a few days it's out on piracy sites. Line6 are insane with their prices for their mediocre vst's. They've released echo farm and the price? 199$.

I own Thermionik 5 and found it generally lacking. The cleans are absolutely horrific. I like Amplitube but you have to be a knob tinkerer to get great tone out of it. That said, it is absolutely capable and comes with a lot stuff like a harmonizer etc. Personally I'm an S-Gear or Mercuriall Spark guy.