Amplitube 3 or IRs for Axe-Fx?

Delitzsch

Führendes Mitglied
Dec 14, 2013
I've had my Axe Fx standard for several years now and finally getting around to messing with putting custom IRs into from Axe-Edit. Thinking about going with Ownhammer or Redwirez, but then I came across the Olympic Group Buy over at IK Multimedia for their Amplitube 3. For $99 you get Amplitube 3 and two collection packs of your choice. It's a pretty sweet deal.

So what do you guys think. Is Amplitube 3 worth it at that price or should I pass and get some better IRs for my Axe-Fx?

A little background first: I've had an AxeFx Std a few years ago, I have a bunch of tube amps (Mesa Dual Rec, Marshalls, Bugera, Engl, Kitty Hawk), I have almost all the Amplitube stuff now from the Olympic deal (and I had 100 credits from a previous deal left, so I got the whole thing for like €50) and I have the Redwirez BigBox and some Kalthallen and Ownhammer IRs as well as a selfmade IR from my Mesa 4x12 cab.

What's the best for you depends on a couple of things:

THE AMP SIMULATION:
AxeFx: The AxeFx is probably one of the most advanced modellers in regards to amp simulation. The endless options (amps and parameters) make it a tweakfest, though. My brain exploded from these many options and I ran in circles around a good tone without hitting it (not saying that the tone is not in there somewhere). This had been the main reason to sell it. Still, if I listen to some recordings I did back then, they sounded pretty darn good.

Amplitube: I really like a lot of the newer models and some of the older ones are gems, too. I fell in love with the Orange models and the Fender VibroKing Custom is great, too. But I don't have a direct comparison to the real deal, which makes it easier for me :). The Recto model ("Metal T" or something) is very close to my Dual Rectifier, but not as versatile.

THE CAB SIMULATION:
The cabs are the most important thing when it comes to modelling amps, IMHO. Far more important than the amp model to get a convincing sound that sits right in the mix.

AxeFx: I am one of the few that liked the stock cabs from the AxeFx the most. Particularily when I mixed two cabs. I ended up with a 2x12 and a 4x12 most of the time. If you find that those don't do it for you, check out Redwirez, Kalthallen and Ownhammer.

Amplitube: The stock cabs - despite their endless versatility with placement and mics and whatnot - never did it to me. None of them. The lack of low-mid and bass body make them sound thin and a bit sterile for me. Once I shot an IR from my own cab, I am very happy with it and it's scaringly close to my own cab. The Kalthallen IRs are great, too. But it's always a matter of taste.

THE WORKFLOW:
I'd say that this is the most important factor.

AxeFx: If you play live or with your band in a rehearsal room, the AxeFx might be the best choice. Reamping and auditioning different sounds is not as straightforward as with a software sim, because you have to run each guitar track seperately through the unit to get the final result.

Amplitube: If you want to record at home in your DAW, Amplitube might be the best choice. Flicking a cab on the left guitar track to see if it gels nicely with another one on the right is quick and easy, for example.

Currently, I am getting back to Amplitube and I am on a very good way to get very good sounds out of it. The convenience (for MY workflow, which is recording and composing at home mostly) is what makes it a winner for me.
And I can always reamp the final tracks through my real amps if I want to do so later.

You have a few days left, so why don't you grab some Kalthallen or Ownhammer IRs, get Amplitube Free, try out a few models (Orange Rockerverb, Thunderverb, Fender VibroKing, German Gain would be on my list) to see if they hold up to your AxeFx? If you want to try the Redwirez, check out the Bogner 4x12/SM57/CapEdge ones.

Good luck!

Hey, RiF. Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate the info.

I don't play out or gig anymore. My Axe Fx is mounted in the rack of my studio desk. I can identify with your points about reamping and just recording at home. I think what I'll do is go ahead and take advantage of the Olympic Group Buy and then later get some aftermarket IRs.

One question: With running several guitar tracks of AmpliTube, does it drag the CPU down considerably? I'm already using Trillian, but once I've recorded it's output to an audio track, I just freeze it to free up some CPU. How is it with AmpliTube?

I can run 3-5 instances of Amplitube at a low buffer size of 64 samples alongside a rather busy full mix on my 2009 Core i5-750 in Pro Tools 9/Win7-64. Any other DAW should give you higher numbers.
Amplitube has 3 quality modes, so you can reduce the CPU during tracking. My above numbers are on the highest quality setting.

But don't sell your AxeFx right now! And ask me first if you want to sell it!
BTW, part of my family comes from a town named Delitzsch :).

But don't sell your AxeFx right now! And ask me first if you want to sell it!
BTW, part of my family comes from a town named Delitzsch :).

Oh I don't think I'll ever part with my AxeFx, except maybe to upgrade to the newest one, lol.

Pretty neat about your family heritage. It's a small world :wave:

Hey RiF, forgot to ask you something. You said that once you put your own IR into AmpliTube that you liked it. I was under the impression that that was not possible. That you couldn't load custom IRs into it. Did you just turn off cab simulation and use an IR insert after AmpliTube?

which amps are good in amplitube?

For metal, I like: Mesa Rectifier (Metal Lead T), Orange Rockerverb/Thunderverb/OR30, German Gain (not 100%)
For cleans, i like: Fender Vibroking Custom, Jet City JCA100
For crunch: Oranges, Jet City

What's interesting is that I really love a few models, but most of them I don't care about at all.