Video : Redwirez IRs in the Axe-Fx

fremen

Old newbie

Testing various Redwirez microphones/mic positions in the Axe-Fx cab simulation using the same amp settings - only the IR (in an User slot) change. Sorry for the boring blues-rock clichés licks but that's what I play when I tweak sounds

Almost all the IRs on test here are from the Redwirez Marshall 1960A - G12Ms cabinet (Greenbacks). Get it here :
http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp?ref=home
All the others are still from RedWirez (Uberkab, Basketweave G12M25s...), two of them, the more scooped one, are from GuitarHack

I'm loading them in real time in the same User slot, using the old Axe-Editor, which explains the 3 seconds delay when they change.

At the end of the vid I use two cabs and the enhancer effect for a stereo spread. I'm also playing Guthrie Govan's "Waves" but had to cut the video there to be within the 10 minutes youtube limit (only to discover, when I started uploading, that it's now 15 minutes... ah)

Last edited by a moderator:
great video. While the redwire impulses sound really good, I haven't found a single impulse that I find usefull. If I'm recording my axe direct I always end up with the internal impulses, guitarhack or recabinet.

great video. While the redwire impulses sound really good, I haven't found a single impulse that I find usefull. If I'm recording my axe direct I always end up with the internal impulses, guitarhack or recabinet.

the redwirez need alot of mid scoop to get a nice sound. i myself find the guitarhack ones the best. havent tried recab.
you totally need to make an IR of your 2x12. :)

Hey guys,

Those of you looking for a more scooped tone may want to try the impedance curve IRs we just released. You can download them on your My Stuff page at the bottom, under Updates.

They do a nice job of simulating what a tube-based power amp does to the frequency response of a speaker. Tube amps have a much higher output impedance than solid-state amps, so the speaker's frequency response is affected by its impedance curve. This results in a bass bump at the speakers resonance point, a mid-scoop, and a rising upper-end response.

If you're amp modeler doesn't take this into account, then you can run one of the impedance curve IRs before your cabinet IR for a mid-scoop with more thump and sparkle.

For Axe-Fx users (or others who need to roll it all into one IR), we are beta-testing this feature in the mixIR. Now, in the mixIR you can tell it which speaker impedance curve to use and how much you want it to affect the frequency response. You can do this even if you aren't mixing IRs, by putting something like this in the recipe window:

Marshall1960B-V30s-R121-Cap-2in.wav,1

...and then selecting an impedance curve.

The results can be pretty dramatic. Let me know if they are useful.

Hey guys,

Those of you looking for a more scooped tone may want to try the impedance curve IRs we just released. You can download them on your My Stuff page at the bottom, under Updates.

They do a nice job of simulating what a tube-based power amp does to the frequency response of a speaker. Tube amps have a much higher output impedance than solid-state amps, so the speaker's frequency response is affected by its impedance curve. This results in a bass bump at the speakers resonance point, a mid-scoop, and a rising upper-end response.

If you're amp modeler doesn't take this into account, then you can run one of the impedance curve IRs before your cabinet IR for a mid-scoop with more thump and sparkle.

For Axe-Fx users, we are beta-testing this feature in the mixIR. Now, in the mixIR you can tell it which speaker impedance curve to use and how much you want it to affect the frequency response. You can do this even if you aren't mixing IRs, by putting something like this in the recipe window:

they are not showing up for me in updates, i havent updated since i got my account (maybe 3 months ago).

Hey guys,

For Axe-Fx users, we are beta-testing this feature in the mixIR. Now, in the mixIR you can tell it which speaker impedance curve to use and how much you want it to affect the frequency response. You can do this even if you aren't mixing IRs, by putting something like this in the recipe window:

crazy this is brought up here, after lepou just put the resonance control into his lecto sim for pretty much the same purpose...

Try again, roflsaurusrex. You should be good now. And do yourself a favor and remove your email from your post, lest the spambots get you :)

the redwirez need alot of mid scoop to get a nice sound. i myself find the guitarhack ones the best. havent tried recab.
you totally need to make an IR of your 2x12. :)

We've been working on this for a while. We had to work up a little box for measuring the speaker's impedance curve. We were going to wait until we sampled all the speakers in the collection, but this thread made me realize there are people who could use them now.

We have the Vintage 30, G12M25, G12T-75, and the Alnico Blue posted on the site, at this point. I'll be posting the EV12L soon and more will follow as we do them. Every speaker is different, but these 4 should cover a lot of ground as other speakers will be similar to one or the other.

Ran some white noise through the curves and made these pretty pictures:

impcurves-659x330.gif

In the pic above, the unaffected signal comes in around the peak of the blue line, so there's no boost to speak of, mostly some shaping of the mids. Peak to trough it's about a -10db cut.

You can play with the amount of "shaping" by using impedance curves of various degrees. We included 50% wet to 100% wet, which you see here. 50% wet is about a -3db cut, peak to trough.

Just a note for you fremen. We have specifically placed in an IR save routine into iFace 1.07 for Redwirez for the AXEFX users. So, you can get your mix of what you want in terms of cab, ambient mic, and eq, then save that to a single IR. Then simply use a conversion utility to convert to SYX.

I'll gladly comp you a free copy of iFace if you would do a demonstration video for the AXEFX community as I don't have an AXEFX to do it..
-Ken

Redwires with the impedance curves and the far fields beats the crap out of recabinet and most impulses (I have yet to try ownhammer)

I'm quite curious about ownhammer. I looked at their site a while ago to see what they were all about.