AMT Legend Series. Preamps Or Pedals?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Was curious about these. Are they supposed to be specifically voiced preamps or effects pedals?

They're preamps built in a pedal chassis. They're designed to be used into a poweramp or effects loop return. They're not designed to be used into an amps input and sound terrible if you try to use it as a distortion pedal.

They're great. I have an s-1 soldano clone and it sounds awesome and is so handy to have around. I carry it around in my pedal box to gigs as a backup in case my rig dies. The cab sim out doesn't sound great but it's better than nothing

I was looking into getting a preamp and these seemed like a good idea. I'm assuming you can just run these into your DAW and use whatever cab sims you like?

Also, has anyone compared the AMT "Mesa" to the Tech 21 US Steel?

Yeah running it like that is perfect. They are quite one dimensional but they are very good at what they do and for the price they are very hard to beat.

One other thing I was wondering about, are there any significant differences between the first and second series of these pedals tone-wise, or is the main difference to just the addition of a third output on the second series?