an 80 minute Dark tranquillity comp.

aztattooedsean

crazed tattooed metalhead
Jan 19, 2002
Chandler,arizona
www.facebook.com
If you were to make an 80 minute DT comp covering all their music to 1. turn on friends to the amazing dark tranquillity while at the same time give you a good 80 minute cd to listen to while driving on a road trip: what songs would you put on it and would you put the songs in any particular order to give it good flow?

I'm totally uncreative when making compilations...I don't like breaking the running order in any way at all, if there's songs from many albums then they'll be in a chronological order. Also I don't understand asking for another person's opinion on making a compilation.
So that's my absolutely useless 2 cents for this thread.

I'd totally put Static in there now though, I really like that song.

it is meant to be fun. I am curious what others would do as it is often interesting to see how people differ in their song selections. I will end up making my own choice as I have made plenty of good comps. I just wait for the one person that always says to make an mp3 of all their songs. haha.

Make an mp3 of all their songs... ;)

I made some dt-compilations before because my car doesn't have any CD-player. I think the setlist of 2002 (Damage Done Tour) is pretty nice so far, in addition some songs which haven't been played back then. And, of course, the faves of Character/ Exposures. And there are lots of them...

The setlist in 2002 was something like:

Sun Fired Blanks
Treason Wall
White Noise/ Black Silence
Punish my Heaven
Haven
Hedon
Monochromatic Stains
UnDo Control
Damage Done
Wonders At Your Feet
Insanity's Crescendo
ThereIn
Hours Passed In Exile
Indifferent Suns
Single Part Of Two
Not Built to Last
Lethe
Zodijackyl Light
Final Resistance

In addition, maybe, "Scythe, Rage and Roses", "Of Chaos And Eternal Night", "Dreamlore Degenerate", "The Poison Well", "Cathode Ray Sunshine", "Format c: for Cortex", "Auctioned" or "Edenspring"... OK, Now we have something like 50% of all dt-songs, maybe a little too much, right?!?

for my car who cant play mp3 cds I made a new DT_compilation on a simple audio-cd
with these songs_
The whole characteralbum
+my friend of misery
+doberman
+on your time
+hours passed in exile
+zodijackyl-light
+the wonders at your feet

so we have about 79 minutes full of wonderfull DT
ok perhaps of chaos would be cool
but I wnated a cd with character for my car and my favorite other songs

it is good to hear the ideas of different people. I love character but I want to give each cd equal treatment so not only could I enjoy it on long drives in my car but I could make copies to get new people into dark tranquillity.

To answer your question directly- here's my list in the order i would have it appear on the CD. I feel it keeps the comp. interesting with the right amount of highs, lows (fast and slow songs).

Final Resistance
The New Build
The Enemy
Haven
The Sun Fired Blanks
Hedon
Rundown
Of Melancholy Burning
Zodijackyl Light
Punish My Heaven
Insanity's Crescendo
My Negation
Static
Lady In Black
Doberman
I, Deception
Mind Matters

Clocking in at 77:50. Looking at the list, i might go burn myself a copy now.......
Keep it metal \m/

Daniel

Nebulous said:
To answer your question directly- here's my list in the order i would have it appear on the CD. I feel it keeps the comp. interesting with the right amount of highs, lows (fast and slow songs).

Final Resistance
The New Build
The Enemy
Haven
The Sun Fired Blanks
Hedon
Rundown
Of Melancholy Burning
Zodijackyl Light
Punish My Heaven
Insanity's Crescendo
My Negation
Static
Lady In Black
Doberman
I, Deception
Mind Matters

Clocking in at 77:50. Looking at the list, i might go burn myself a copy now.......
Keep it metal \m/

Daniel

most excellent daniel !! :Spin: without the cds in front of me, how many songs from each cd were chosen?

The Wonders At Your Feet
Through Smudged Lenses
Lethe
Away, Delight, Away
Punish My Heaven
Alone
Haven
UnDo Control
Shadowlit Facade
Exposure
Emptier Still
The Sun Fired Blanks
Tongues
Static
The Dividing Line
Scythe, Rage And Roses
Final Resistance
Senses Tied
Derivation TNB

That would pretty much be the order too. Playtime: 1:19:18

Songs from:
-Of Chaos And Eternal Night (2)
-The Gallery (3)
-Enter Suicidal Angels (1)
-The Mind's I (2)
-Projector (2)
-Haven (3)
-Damage Done (1)
-Exposures: In Retrospect & Denial (2)
-Lost To Apathy (1)
-Character (2)

I went for a flowing yet dynamic feel with some of my fav songs.

They were chosen as follows
The Gallery-2
Mind's I-3
Projector-2
Haven-2
Damage Done-3
Exposures-1
Character-3
+Lady in Black from the KD tribute

This is a question I have actually spent more than a few hours on trying to find an answer - and never succeeded. Ever since The Mind's I came out I have tried to make a perfect DT-compilation on cassettes and CD-R's, but none of them have really satisfied me. I have actually written all the relevant factors (song-lengths, volume-levels, etc.) down and tried to cross-read those to come up with a solution - but as said, with no success this far.

A few notes of mine as a sample:

- A Bolt of Blazing Gold (7:15) / Shadow Duet (7:06) - Two epic songs, representing very well the early DT, one or both to be included; note the low level of volume!

- The Gallery (4:08) - Not very representative of The Gallery-era DT; calm; possible opener???

- Lethe (4:43) - A classic, should be in, but the intro makes it difficult to include; near the end, but not the closer?

- Shadowlit Facade (3:25) - Rather short, to be placed between two longer songs, but note the volume-levels; represents ESA.

- Hedon (5:37) - A must have, but where??? Cannot be the closer, but fits badly between other songs, opener??? Note the low level of volume!

- Nether Novas (6:16) - To be placed right after a faster song due to the intro; not too close to other Projector-songs.

- The Wonders at Your Feet (3:01) - Might be a good opener, but an older song fits poorly after this due to the keyboards; to be followed by a Haven/DD-era song??

- Hours Passed in Exile (4:45) - Note the intro; preferably right after a faster song.

Et cetera.

I haven't yet thought of any Character-songs and all the comments above were made years ago - when I apparently had some time to think about these kind of things.

Anyways, it appears my perfectionism in this issue has probably prevented me from ever creating a proper DT-compilation of any kind. :p

-Villain

ATT: Villain
I had the same problems as you, especialy with Hedon and Lethe. I decided to leave lethe out so as not to get tired of an awsome song (that i usually play on guitar too).
Since compiling my playlist of DT songs i haven't been able to stop listening to them, so i think they work realy well, maybee you could try my list and see if it works??
Not to sound up myself or anything, i just like my list, and it might help solve your problems.

ATT:Tattooedsean666

Don't feel bad/stupid like i use to about thinking too much about music and its ordering, some bands don't think enough about these things on major releases, so someone has to :p

Keep it real dudes

Daniel\m/

tattooedsean666 said:
If you could select 3 songs from each full length release,what would they be?

Well, now that we don't need to care about the order of the songs and other things anymore, it's a lot easier. My takes would probably (these tend to change) be:

Skydancer:
- A Bolt of Blazing Gold
- Shadow Duet
- Through Ebony Archways (or possibly Crimson Winds, it depends on what I want to achieve with this collection)

The Gallery:
- Punish My Heaven
- The Gallery
- Mine is the Grandeur...Of Melancholy Burning (or Lethe)

The Mind's I:
- Hedon
- Insanity's Crescendo
- Still Moving Sinews (or perhaps Tidal Tantrum)

Projector:
- Nether Novas
- The Sun Fired Blanks
- UnDo Control (or To a Bitter Halt, once again depends a little)

Haven:
- The Wonders at Your Feet
- Haven
- Not Built to Last (or Rundown)

Damage Done:
- Hours Passed in Exile
- White Noise / Black Silence
- Damage Done (or perhaps possibly Cathode Ray Sunshine or Single Part of Two)

Character: (these could all still change)
- One Thought
- My Negation
- Senses Tied (or Through Smudged Lenses)

Finally, if I was allowed to add one song from each of the other releases, they would be:
- With the Flaming Shades of Fall from Of Chaos and Eternal Night EP
- Shadowlit Facade from Enter Suicidal Angels EP
- Static from Exposures
- The Endless Feed (Chaos Seed remix) from Lost to Apathy EP

But deciding the order of these... :erk:

-Villain

Hmm three from each one... This was actually much harder than the compilation...

Skydancer:
- Alone
- Shadow Duet
- Crimson Winds

The Gallery:
- Punish My Heaven
- Lethe
- The Emptiness From Which I Fed

The Mind's I:
- Scythe, Rage And Roses
- Tidal Tantrum
- Tongues