AN ACTUAL COOKING THREAD

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
i searched, but there's no real proper thread about cooking food. itt you should tell everyone what you like to cook and what you're making tonight, and also you should post pictures.

tonight, for the first time, im making BEEF RENDANG which is an indonesian dish that is kind of like chili or a curry but with east asian spices!?

using this recipe: http://norecipes.com/blog/beef-rendang-recipe/

G17ho.jpg

basically i'm letting some diced beef chuck simmer for 4+ hours (i'm 1½ hours in right now) in coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, galangal and lemongrass with a spice paste made out of shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander and ground chiles. the goal is to reduce it to almost no fluid.

00kOT.jpg

according to CNN, beef rendang is the world's most delicious food so i'm looking forward to eating this :eek:

POST ABOUT FOOD I FREAKIN LOVE FOOD

I cook all the fucking time and take responsibility for my family's eating habits, especially myself and my son. My wife kinda does what she wants.

The other day I cooked a bigass turkey then took the carcass, offal meat, a couple beef marrow bones, and boiled that bitch for 5 hours and made a kickass bone broth soup.

Next up is some pasture raised, grass fed beef or a duck once I heal up from my surgery in a few days.

You're not gonna catch me posting any pics of my meals though, so it never really happened.

just go buy a fucking pot roast, some taters, onions, and carrots...throw em in the crock, use whatever spices you want and slow cook that bitch! A lot of ppl use that lipton onion soup mix stuff.

that rendandg looks mad delish Erik Estrada ... looks similar to proper Gulyas actually ... throw some peppers and potatoes in it and you got Gulyas.

this shit is awesome btw from that list:

39. Masala dosa, India

A crispy, rice-batter crepe encases a spicy mix of mashed potato, which is then dipped in coconut chutney, pickles, tomato-and-lentil-based sauces and other condiments. It’s a fantastic breakfast food that’ll keep you going till lunch, when you’ll probably come back for another.

My pot roast is always over done when I put it in the crock pot. I think it cooks too hot. I usually just use the oven. Just as easy

wtf? thats impossible. just put it on low and let it cook for 6-8 hours. it should fall apart.

I put it on low and cook for 6-8 and I get a dry piece of shit. I think I just got a horrible crock pot. I've done the same in the oven and got wonderful pot roast. I don't get it.

Yeah. Maybe I add too much broth or something. I guess, it could also be shitty beef from my grocery store.

Just found out about an AMAZING Farmer's Market every Sunday afternoon only a few mils down the road from me. Bunch of local farms attend and one in particular which I wanted to setup an appointment for anyway is there. Gotta get me some raw milk, free range, grass fed beef, chicken, and eggs, cheese, and fresh local, seasonal veggies. I'm fucking PUMPED and it will be a weekly visit for me from here on out! :kickass:

that looks awesome Erik, will try.

No pic but yesterday I did experimented pretty simple and tasty as fuck: spaghetti in zucchini sauce.

The zucchinis were diced very small and fried in olive oil and pressed garlic until golden. I then removed most of the fat from the saucepan and poured 4-5 table spoons of crème fraîche and 4 teaspoons of parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, stirred for ten seconds and served on top of the pasta.