An early Christmas present: my new record player

Edward Yawn

New Metal Member
Sep 14, 2005
Under your bed
I got an early Christmas present a few days ago. It is a Pro-Ject RPM4 turntable installed with a Pro-Ject K6 phono cartridge. Finally I can listen to my Anthrax records.

My one-minute review:

Anthrax: Live - The Island Years (Audiophile Limited Vinyl Edition)
~The sound is a disaster. The mastering engineer squeezed 30 minutes of music on each side and the volume has suffered considerably. First a small note: if you put more than 20 minutes of music on an LP side, the volume level will have to be reduced. The opposite holds true as well. The louder the mastering engineer cuts the LP the less music will fit on the disc. At 30 minutes per album side, the vinyl edition of this live album by Anthrax has a shockingly low volume level. Even at the 2'o'clock position on the volume control of my amplifier, the sound was still not loud enough. The album should have been spread across two LPs. Other than the extremely low volume level there is nothing wrong with the LP itself. However the mix is terrible and muddy which can be heard even on the CD release.

Anthrax: The Greater of Two Evils (Double LP vinyl edition)
~The sound quality of this double LP is very good. The volume level is good, the bass is solid without being muddy, the sound is not as compressed as on the CD and the vinyl helps to lend the sound an analog feel despite the digital recording and mixing. There is a lack of seperation between the instruments but that is the fault of the mix and not the LP. Even after being recorded digitally this album could have benefitted from being mixed on analog tape.

Some pictures of my new record player:

iyzm7r.jpg

iyzmae.jpg

iyzmg0.jpg

iyzmlj.jpg

iyzmut.jpg

Looks nice!
There's a new Recordplayer with USB! I'l buy it next year so all my Records go mp3! :headbang:
Till then my Technics SL-QL15 is enough. It works like a cd-player:
I can program it, it repeats records and i can choose each song by button ("play number 2, 4 and 6).

karrokid said:
sweet turntable , is it speed adjustable ?

Yes it is. But at the moment only manually. I have to take off the platter and then fit the drive belt around the other motor pulley. It is abit unpractical, but I ordered something called the "Pro-Ject Speed Box" which connects in between the turntable and the power supply and that allows for electronic speed change at the push of a button. The Speed Box should arrive within the next few days. I am not too bothered because right now I only have two 45 rpm LPs.