An Interesting Concert...................

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
.......but musically uninspiring.

Tree
Ill Nino
Mushroomhead
Coal Chamber
Drowning Pool

Rarely did I hear a decent guitar solo, and Drowning Pool had the best ones (if that tells you anything).

Mushroomhead was all done up in balck (including faces) - not bad, but very simple, and Slipknot-like.

Coal Chamber was the best of the five bands, IMO - I knew many of their songs, and the lead singer had his energy level way up, which made it fun to watch.

Crowd watching was the best - many, many girls flashing boobs - my son just laughed. They had a hot-body contest on stage - the winner was tall, blonde, built - and of course, took it all off to get the biggest cheer from the crowd. They even had a hot-slob contest, where all these fat guys flaunted it on stage to win auto race tickets.
pukeface.gif
And - lesbianism/exhibitionism abound - saw more girl-on-girl fondling and making out at a concert then I had ever seen. And in some cases - the boyfriends (I assume not husbands) were letting their girls have each other while they watched. Those were the moments I forgot I was at a concert. :D

As "fun" as the entire show was - it really showed me how musically lacking so many acts are today. It REALLY makes me appreciate bands like Opeth

Sounds like you had a good time, and that's all that matters. I bet it's fun taking your son to concerts and sharing that experience. I wish my dad would show some interest in my music, but it would not be the same going to a concert with him. He did buy me some Tool concerts on eBay. Anyway, it's really hard not comparing other bands to Opeth when I see them live(and on cd). I try not to compare people to Opeth because I will never really be satisfied with what I am hearing.

I have decided to not even go to Ozzfest this year as I have gone the past two years. It has gotten worse every year and become very lame and full of nu-metal artists that I don't like(Linkin Park, Crazy Town, etc.) This year I heard that Chris Cornell and Rage Against the Machine were going to be there. That would be interesting. Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society(who I missed last year) will be there. System of a Down is also playing. I enjoyed their first album and haven't really listened to their latest album. That would be interesting to see them. I just would rather put the $100 or so(and another $100 for my brother) towards going to PP and hotel expenses + buying cds there.

How was Tree? I checked them out a while back online. Their older albums, which are all out of print, were available on their site for download. They souned okay, but I wish they had more depth lyrically instead of singing about the environment and well..trees. :p

Yeah, I like Coal Chamber alot. Awesome nu-metalish riffs, and the singer has great stage presence. I hope they go on Ozzfest this year. The lineup thusfar includes

Ozzy
System of a Down
Rage Against the Machine - with Cornell
POD
Drowning Pool
Black Label Society
Rob Zombie
Meshuggah:eek:
Apex Theory
Lost Prophets
Pulse Ultra
Neurotica
Glassjaw
Flaw
Mushroomhead
Ill Nino
Otep

:headbang:

They aren't any good...and have a female lead singer. Their site is www.otepsaves.com if you are interested. I hope people don't mistake them for Opeth.

That's pretty cool that Meshuggah is playing Ozzfest this year. They are gonna blow every other band away. I remember last year as I was leaving some idiot was blasting Fear Factory and thought it was the heaviest thing ever. I hope he goes this year. :p

Originally posted by metalmancpa
And - lesbianism/exhibitionism abound - saw more girl-on-girl fondling and making out at a concert then I had ever seen. And in some cases - the boyfriends (I assume not husbands) were letting their girls have each other while they watched. Those were the moments I forgot I was at a concert. :D

Exhibitionism seems to be the only benefit of these concerts. I go to see Opeth not one boob. I take my brother to see Korn, boobs everywhere.

heh i have had people mistake opeth otep. I was at electronics boutique and i had my still life shirt on and the guywas like hey man i saw those guys at ozzfest, they were pretty good. I said are you sure it was them? and hes like yeah dude. I just laughed stupid guy.

Meshuggah is getting more and more popular. I'm not sure if you guys knew this, but they toured with Tool in September and October last year. It's becoming more and more of a household name among nu-metalers. Whether it's a good thing or not is debatable.

I remember that they opened for Tool and was upset I didn't get to see them open for Tool. I figured they would get pretty popular, but I wouldn't have predicted them to be playing Ozzfest. That's...well, I don't know. :rolleyes:

Mushroomhead was all done up in balck (including faces) - not bad, but very simple, and Slipknot-like.

grrrrr :cry:

If anything, it's Slipknot who are like Mushroomhead. Mushroomhead's been around at least five years longer than Slipknot. And they sound NOTHING alike. And it's supposed to be about the music, right? Not the masks........

Sorry, this is one of my little pet peeves.

Originally posted by Jayde

grrrrr :cry:

If anything, it's Slipknot who are like Mushroomhead. Mushroomhead's been around at least five years longer than Slipknot. And they sound NOTHING alike. And it's supposed to be about the music, right? Not the masks........

Sorry, this is one of my little pet peeves.

I apologize - you are correct. They've been around for 10+ years, and sold over 100,000 albums independently. And they did come before Slipknot. And they are much better then Slipknot.

As usual, with concerts, their sound mix was not that great. It was too muffled - a complaint I always have at concerts. Sound mixers at concerts concentrate on too much volume and bass, assuming we don't actually want to hear the music.

So don't cry - I made that Slipknot connection without really thinking, so it is me who hangs his head in shame. :s

Originally posted by Austin7
Meshuggah is getting more and more popular. I'm not sure if you guys knew this, but they toured with Tool in September and October last year. It's becoming more and more of a household name among nu-metalers. Whether it's a good thing or not is debatable.

As long as their style isn't compromized by their popularity, it's all good.

I just watched The Osbournes on MTV, and Ozzy's son was blasting Meshuggah at the neighbors. He described them as "death metal from Norway". Dumbass.

He wears Tool shirts on the show a lot so I assume he found out about Meshuggah via Tool. I agree with transfixed that if their style isn't comprimised then it's all good.