An off-topic appeal (and an on-topic postscript)

MikeyZ

Nothing but trouble.
Dec 26, 2015
Cypress, California
Maidens Fans and Friends,

This is a modest appeal to be sure and register to vote in the November 8th general election.

For most states, there's still time. In the TIMs stomping grounds of California, for example, you have until Monday, October 24th to register.

For those of you who haven't registered yet and are thinking of not doing so, or if you've registered and are thinking of not voting on the 8th, it may be that you are frustrated with the Presidential candidates who at once act like apex predators and bottom feeders. Maybe for that you want to skip your trip to the polls, perhaps borne of a sense of exasperated futility, or as a gesture of quiet protest.

I get your pain, I do.

But IMO, voting matters too much for us to ignore it or disregard it, however futile it may seem at the time. We are all card-carrying members of a constitutional republic. I'm of the camp that views that membership as a responsibility, not just a right, to be accountable to its processes. If we're not participating for the fate of the Presidency, then let's at least participate for that of the Senate and House (with their many seats up for grabs), the future tenor of the Supreme Court, and for all the ballot measures and countless municipal officials who depend on us to hold them accountable for their decisions that affect our lives and livelihoods on a regular basis.

Even if you can't bear to hold your nose and vote for the least-reprehensible major party Presidential candidate, see what a third-party candidate might have to offer. Or put in your own name. Or that of your band crush.

But it starts with registration. Don't wait. Do it today. Do it now. Most states have on-line registration. A brief Google search will settle the matter quickly.

Thank you for your time, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled on-topic discussion:

I'm lobbying with some prospective clients to meet me at my company's Colorado Springs office for a half-day meeting the morning of Friday October 28th. If I actually pull this off I'll push back my return flight a day to see y'all at the show, and I'll buy extra tickets just in case some of the attendees want to join in the fun. Because nothing says "hey, you guys are a lot cooler than we thought you were in the morning meeting" than tickets to a Maidens show!

Up the Irons
Mike