off topic that's on topic

timislegend

Jun 8, 2010
=\

it seems like every thread here has become people showing their mixes rather than giving legible mixing advice with detailed examples.

don't get me twisted, i like how everyone here is creative and ambitious. i like a lot of the mixed/arrangements (for the most part).

another thought is; i realize i am not moderating the forum and it's not my way or the highway but i can't understand most of these threads. :(

the mod is doing great keeping people in line and rearranging necessary questions and comments but it seems as though the "off topic" brand of this forum is more of a production topic (related) and the production topic is more of a faq consortium.

so... i have seen some recent threads talking about the same situation i am, right now.

i guess it seems a little disarray in here now. please tell me i'm crazy and i will shut-it. :)

I agree with you, joey specifically said he did not want a rate my mix section and yet somehow people have found a way to turn this sub-forum into just that. I understand posting once and awhile if your really having trouble or are really proud of a mix and you think people may benefit but its just really annoying to me and if everyone keeps doing it it's going to become another sneap rate my mix thread.......................

I think there should be someplace to post mixes because Sneap Forum...there are a lot of people who aren't very helpful and well..you know how they are. (no disprespect to anyone). So Sneap Forum's Mix section isn't all that great. However here, if someone were to say....put up a mix, I would think it would be appropriate to either use Joey's samples so that everyone can think "oh wow, he made it sound good here or there...." or if someone wants to post something up and teach people through a mix, that would be good too. However, I am new to the mixing world, and I actually have a song I JUST recorded today that I am proud of, and I think it is mixed very well, and I would like to hear what other people have to say that are also in the recording industry. However, I don't want to turn to Andy Sneap's forum to do so.

i think one of the reasons joey doesn't want a "rate my mix" thread is because he doesn't want this forum to be about blatantly copying him.

samples/effects and procedure is a whole other story.

it's a case of integrity... i like joey's mixes but i have not intention to move in the same direction as far as mixes go. and as hubris as the folks at sneap can be, they are mostly right about "bedroom warriors" trying as hard as they can to "sound like sturgis".

soooo... yeah, "rate my mix" would be pointless and out right disrespectful (to say the least). however a thread similar will be a lot better than the entire forum becoming saturated with mediocre/watered down copycat mixes, (let's just call it, what it is) when that is initially what joey is trying to avoid in the "rate my mix" thread.

there is no guessing about it.

but I don't really want a section where people just post random music that has nothing to do with me other than the fact that they're trying to sound like me or just like my stuff.

and if you ask me... that seems to be the most frequent thread on here (people trying to sound like sturgis).

the idea behind the mixing threads is to show off what creative things can be done with joey's products that he sells... to us. in an effort to be inspired and creative. which also forces us to grow into our own skin with our own style. not just blindly steal something that works specifically for him.

maybe i sound a bit "preachy" but it's pretty sick that some people won't grow unless they hear or see how joey is doing it first... then make minor changes around something so surgically developed (as joey's work is).

there is no guessing about it.

and if you ask me... that seems to be the most frequent thread on here (people trying to sound like sturgis).

the idea behind the mixing threads is to show off what creative things can be done with joey's products that he sells... to us. in an effort to be inspired and creative. which also forces us to grow into our own skin with our own style. not just blindly steal something that works specifically for him.

maybe i sound a bit "preachy" but it's pretty sick that some people won't grow unless they hear or see how joey is doing it first... then make minor changes around something so surgically developed (as joey's work is).

I honestly don't think it'll turn into a Joey-Clone section.
I mean really... are the people on this forum that simple-minded that they can't figure out what sounds good to them without doing exactly what Joey does?
if this is the case, joey would make a lot of money by developing plugs that replicate what he does.

lets not be silly.
we can definitely have a mix/audio section without the joey clones.
yes, there will be elements in mixes that are "sturgis-like". but why would we be posting on this forum if we didn't like Joey's style?

I mean really... are the people on this forum that simple-minded that they can't figure out what sounds good to them without doing exactly what Joey does?

yes, one of the reasons the sneapsters wanted a separate forum in the first place. but in doing so, it made an excellent opportunity for beginner engineers to not feel so "newbish".

joey would make a lot of money by developing plugs that replicate what he does.

yes, he would... and by now i'm certain that even he knows that.

we can definitely have a mix/audio section without the joey clones.

i never said we couldn't... i, myself work on music and productions that sound nothing like joey's but i guarantee the mix will consciously be compared to the predecessor's.

why would we be posting on this forum if we didn't like Joey's style?

liking someone's style and copying swing hand & hand. i will admit that i have used similar production styles to joey's on several occasions -per the request of the talent- but i have never posted it on the forum, as i feel it's disrespectful.

i'm really not telling everyone to think like me! ...i am positioning my thoughts on where this domain is going. and it certainly seems like it's a lot of mixes that sound like mediocre copycats.

i am also asserting that joey didn't want a "rate my mix" thread... an now the entire forum has turned to a "rate my mix" forum.

General conclusion:
Both things (rate my mix/no rate my mix sub forum) have their pro's and cons.
People don't like all threads to be Joey clones,
but it's obvious people will post here and not on Sneap forum because they use elements (samples f.e.) that Joey used/made.
But in the end it's up to Joey to do what HE wants on HIS forum :)

liking someone's style and copying swing hand & hand

This especially goes with guitarists. When they hear a guitarist who's style they like when they are young, they will try to copy their style almost entirely, which usually ends up as a clear influence later on. If you listen to Ola (c'mon, we all know who he is) and his playing style, you can clearly hear from his riffs and licks that he listened to Dime and Petrucci A LOT at some point eventho Feared doesn't sound like Pantera or Dream Theater.

Personally I started studio mixing in 2007 and I have now realized that I had/have two major influences on my mixing style. Hiili Hiilesmaa and Mikko Karmila. Made some small bands like Children of Bodom, HIM, Nightwish, Amorphis, Waltari and a lot of other Finnish bands you've never heard of. both of those guys trademark sound is that they have a huge low end on their mixes. I tried to replicate that a lot when I started out, ending with realization that my low end was constantly sounding like shit, because I didn't know how to control it properly. But in the past few years I've been slowly getting better at controlling the low end and getting "there".

Tim, you seem to think I was attacking you. I wasn't. I was merely stating how I expected people who come to this forum to conduct themselves.

I'm not saying that there won't be the potential abuse that could obviously turn up. I'm saying that when I hear mixes on the sneap forum, I always relate it to what I hear from Andy sneap and I try to give advice based more towards Andy's mix style based on my own tastes. After all, it's the Andy Sneap forum, not the CLA forum. No?
So if I hear a mix here, it would obviously make sense to relate it to Joey...
Is my logic flawed here?

Aparently we are all so uptight about Joey's work, that the idea of having a mix section brings bad vibes out of everyone.
So screw the whole idea if that's gonna be the energy that section will get.

Yeah there's like four threads about this lol
But it's popular sovereignty!! People are going to post mixes- fact
So give em a ghetto lil subforum to put em in :)