"Off-Topic" forum rant

Thursday night turned out decent overall. Needless to say the turnout wasn't the greatest due to it being a Thursday and going up against the Opeth show. But the crowd that was there were great, and they were really receptive for all the bands. Beyong the Embrace were really good despite being short one guitarist, and we enjoyed watching them and talking with them. Hopefully we'll do some more gigging with them in the future....

Green Carnation were absolutely amazing. People really need to go see them if they're coming to a venue near you. I thought they were even better than they were at the Equinox fest in Toronto. We really enjoyed hanging with them and watching them play as well. With any luck we'll definitely be playing with them again down the line, perhaps on tour together. Maybe even overseas, if we're lucky...

The club was really cool as well, called Vnuks. It's literally like a ten minute drive from downtown Milwaukee, and the area was fairly decent. Really cool staff and owners, we'll most likely be going back to play there again at some point. It can hold at least 300 people I'd say, the room sounded really good, so if you see a band is coming through there you're interested in seeing and you live in the general area, check it out.

For those of you who didn't come see us, FUCK YOU! No no, just kidding. We'll be playing March 14th at The Note in Chicago, with Debris Inc., and there's possibly some more regional gigs coming up in the near future that I'm working on now. So you fuckers better start showing up if we are playing near you.

glad everything went ok! we have played with beyond the embrace several times now, good guys!
i honestly haven't heard their last few releases, but if they come out this way i will indeed go check em out! and you guys!!!! when you going to be back out this way? ever want anything out here, let me know and i will set it up!

\m/

Dead_Lioness said:
For what its worth.......... I don't post here, but I do lurk,
and this is the no.1 place I go to read updates or see where you guys are touring, or just to read official announcements here and there..
sorry you feel this way Paul .....

Same here. I do not post often but I do lurk all the time and read the stuff you post.

In fact, I don't think you should get angry when people derail threads because many the people who come here to read your announcements don't post very often. The people who actually post are just a small percentage of those who look at your announcements, and probably a much smaller percentage derails threads. I don't read the thread conversations usually. I just look at your announcements.

I just wanted to make sure you knew that many people browse the UM forums in general, but I'm sure that most don't actually post in more than one place. I visit many forums, but the only forum I really post on is the Dan Swano forum.

I hope you don't stop announcing things here, because many of us come often, yet comment rarely. And I'm sure there's a lot of people who just look. And those people (including myself) generally gloss over whatever is being said in a thread and just look at what ND band members post. I care enough about getting ND news from here to jump out of the shadows to tell you this.

Anyway, cheers. :)

As you can see we still do post news and stuff here. All we ask is if people have stuff to say, particularly if it's really off-topic from the band and the news at hand, just post it in a different thread. It's not that much to ask. And we don't expect everyone who comes here to read the news and stuff to have to post either, if you're a regular visitor who rarely posts comments, that's perfectly fine.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
As you can see we still do post news and stuff here. All we ask is if people have stuff to say, particularly if it's really off-topic from the band and the news at hand, just post it in a different thread. It's not that much to ask. And we don't expect everyone who comes here to read the news and stuff to have to post either, if you're a regular visitor who rarely posts comments, that's perfectly fine.

Right, I didn't mean don't get pissed at people for being off-topic, I meant that, existentially, you shouldn't worry about it too much. Things getting off topic doesn't stop people like me from appreciating the fact that you guys come here often, announce things, and talk to fans.

It's completely reasonable to want to clamp down on it, I'm just saying that trolling is a normal phenomenon in all forums across the internet, and the easiest, surest way to get rid of trolls is to not feed them by ignoring off-topic posts altogether.

I meant my post as encouragement, since I don't get the sense that derailing threads is that big of a problem, since most us of probably only read what band members post. I don't care about the conversation between a couple of guys and gals who happen to visit your forum, unless it's a particularly interesting conversation.

I guess that's me saying that the threads that get "derailed" don't really get derailed, since most people probably don't care about the threads themselves, just what you guys as a band post / comment on.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:

bonjour Larry :wave:

I know its fine ;) , I still like this place, and I still check it out to
read updates on your rehearsals and upcoming tours and what not.
I'm a member in many forums, and I know "off topic" can be an issue...
I think off topic helps to build a community on a board,
but I certainly understand the fraustration when every single
band related thread turns into an off topic...
I will keep my lurking then, I do like it here... *touches the walls and checks the firmness of cushions*

Or you guys could at least make a stickied thread titled something like "ND Community Discussion". No need for a subforum:)

A lot of people made a lot of sense here. I too read threads on other bands forums, and I only read the post from the band member himself, and don't bother with the countless replies going off topic. Where as my opinion hasn't changed about the lack of respect to derail an official announcement post, I will lighten up here a bit.

Dan made a good point too, where I'm starting to feel an outside moderator is a good idea, in many situations. Maybe we'll consider that.

Maybe you should stop worrying about your official forum and start writing better music? There's always room for improvement.

Misseriah said:
Maybe you should stop worrying about your official forum and start writing better music? There's always room for improvement.

Jeez man...:erk:

Misseriah said:

Coming from someone whose taste in music allows them to say things on the Opeth forum like "Edge of Sanity is generic, cliche oldschool death." Your opinion here means less then gum on the bottom of my shoe, so maybe you need to go back to fanboy central where you'll be more comfortable. Oh wait, I have a better idea...

Maybe you should blow me?

Well he's never posted here before, he comes in and inevitably posts a comment on a thread like this one....I think he was bored and looking to spew some venom.
Not to mention, why would or should we stop worrying about our official forum? The fact that we visit here almost daily and answer questions directly and such, shows that we care not just about the forum itself but our fans and friends who post here. And I have no trouble making the time to be doing this as well as working on new music too. We're always looking to improve ourselves musically, I think we've done quite well so far in fact ;)

People ought to be asking themselves why it is that they have the time and desire to post disparaging remarks on band's forums that they obviously don't respect or care much for. That time could be spent working on honing their own skills, I would think. Then perhaps you could make your point by showing us up with your own musical abilites, not just belittling words.

Misseriah said:

may b u shud get tha hampsterz out of ur butt it soundz liek their geting hungry and bitey LOL