"Off-Topic" forum rant

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
As some of you have read, this comes from the announcment thread of our merchandise deal (which I have now heavily moderated.) The thread derailed quickly, and this announcement went off-topic in 3 posts, showing once again, this forum fails.

This is an ongoing conversation/issue between Larry and I for a very LONG time now, and this deals with most of the threads here.

We've kept this forum very loose. We never moderate, we hardly ever edit of delete any threads. We allow our friends in other bands to post info about their upcoming shows, or CD releases because we're FRIENDS with them, and they are good people. We're very laid back, and easy going most of the time.

I understand, this forum and many others, threads go off topic all the time. Most of them are general conversation threads, and it's fine. It's what people do, and we're guilty of the same thing from time to time. We've never said people couldn't post off-topic threads here, but the constant bullshit being posted in threads we consider an "official announcement," and something that is important to the band, gets derailed, or pissed all over with more bullshit. I usually announce things here on the forum before I even post them on the website, giving the fans here the first glimpse of the news, because we converse with you guys on a daily basis.

You know what... No more. I'm done. My participation here will be minimal at best. If people are so uninterested in the official announcements on the forum, to derail them in 3 posts, then Fuck it.

It's far from one person to blame. We blame ourselves for not controlling the situation better. People no longer seem to care about actual news, and would rather use all the threads as an attempt to be funny. I have better things to do, then to fuel that. Like I said, I'm done.

If you want to know what's happening with us, check www.novembersdoom.com and feel free to start your own thread to discuss it.

I want to add my two cents here to try and help explain the situation.

We love that you guys come here and post regularly. We've always been cool about the fact that people post alot of off-topic stuff on this forum, as we ourselves sometimes enjoy talking about OT things too, of course. But ultimately we are paying for this forum to exist because we want it to be a place where friends and fans of Novembers Doom can come to talk about the band, ask questions for the band, get news firsthand about the band, etc. More and more it seems like this forum gets used not for these purposes but just as a place to be social and goofy and talk off-topic with one another. Some of you guys have been very vocal and supportive of us on here and that's awesome. Other people on here have been less so, oh well. Like Paul said, when it's threads that are general conversation threads about something then it's cool but it just comes off a bit disrespectful when our official announcement threads or threads specifically about ND news tend to go off topic so quickly. It definitely comes off as though people just don't give a fuck really. Maybe that's not how it is intended or whatever, but that's how it comes across, and it's pretty disheartening at times.

So anyhow, I just ask that from now on, please be respectful of our official threads and stuff, and leave the other silly stuff for other threads. We're not asking people to be boring or not to have fun, but just use some thought before posting at times.

I totally see where you guys are coming from. When I thought about your level of commitment and interaction, I opted to go against my established online persona and just kinda respectfully not post all that much. That said... you're not going to start deleting threads about Monkey Island, right?

Tom... I think this is the point where we
a) start a new thread
or
b) go to PM

It's unfortunate that it's come to be that bad of a problem. I understand that yes, this forum is meant to be a direct interaction with the band, but I thought it a novel and cool idea to be a place to interact with the band in a laid back manner, joking and enjoying stories and what not, to have fans and musicians know one another as regular people. To have an official thread used for goofy OT stuff...well, I guess it's best said to just abide by a common sense rule for things like that.

I understand where you guys are coming from, and I hope I didn't overstep my bounds by mentioning our tour. I was more so trying to set up a party with the N.D. guys and possible N.D. peeps. After all it's our first time in your neck of the woods. And we have never played the venue before.

I do understand about the news and "serious" threads being derailed in 1 post. It's real bad at our forum as well. It's very hard to draw the line with fellow bands/band members and fans. But at the same time I often welcome these things. We have several regulars that post random dumb shit that makes me laugh for hours. Again, sorry guys if I have offended people of the band by putting the sob tour crap up there.
Feel free to delete the post if it bothers you guys, I will not be offended at all, and will understand that it was a buisness decision.

dan of bereavement said:
I understand where you guys are coming from, and I hope I didn't overstep my bounds by mentioning our tour. I was more so trying to set up a party with the N.D. guys and possible N.D. peeps. After all it's our first time in your neck of the woods. And we have never played the venue before.

I do understand about the news and "serious" threads being derailed in 1 post. It's real bad at our forum as well. It's very hard to draw the line with fellow bands/band members and fans. But at the same time I often welcome these things. We have several regulars that post random dumb shit that makes me laugh for hours. Again, sorry guys if I have offended people of the band by putting the sob tour crap up there.
Feel free to delete the post if it bothers you guys, I will not be offended at all, and will understand that it was a buisness decision.

Dan, Our friends are always welcome to promote their bands here. That's never been an issue. The issue was with people derailing announcement threads showing little to no respect for the news posted. That's it. Feel free to stop in and plug the band anytime. I certainly want to come see you when you're in town as well!

For what its worth.......... I don't post here, but I do lurk,
and this is the no.1 place I go to read updates or see where you guys are touring, or just to read official announcements here and there..
sorry you feel this way Paul .....

I'm in a band with Dan but am not your friend. Can i promote my shows here?

Novembers Paul said:
Dan, Our friends are always welcome to promote their bands here. That's never been an issue. The issue was with people derailing announcement threads showing little to no respect for the news posted. That's it. Feel free to stop in and plug the band anytime. I certainly want to come see you when you're in town as well!

hey man, thanks! i appreciate it! so are you guys going to party with us?
show us a good time in the west? woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: