Anaal Nathrakh new material

sikth

...discombobulated
Mar 18, 2004
London, UK
Anaal Nathrakhs new album "Donime non es dignus" has been leaked!

I listened to it on the way to work this morning, first impressions are that its really good. Doesn't seem quite as harsh/extreme as The codex necro, but the songs seems more structured and varied. Anaal are still crazy fast and heavy, but somehow they seem to have made it sound more accessible this time round, it sounds like they've toned the industrial/electronic effects they used previously to give the music a harsher edge. The vocals are much more varied as well, with some sweet black metal clean vocals in the later tracks.

Anybody else get a hold of it yet? Your thoughts?

It's incredible. The clean vocals are very well-placed in the songs and detract nothing from the hateful raw armageddon of the band's previous efforts (which are all represented here nicely, with less focus on noise and dissonance and more on audibility). Speaking in comparative terms, it is their most mature album to date.

Yes, I love it so far.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
It's incredible. The clean vocals are very well-placed in the songs and detract nothing from the hateful raw armageddon of the band's previous efforts (which are all represented here nicely, with less focus on noise and dissonance and more on audibility). Speaking in comparative terms, it is their most mature album to date.

Yes, I love it so far.

Thats the word i was looking for, mature. Its definately not a bad thing, there were certain points on there previous efforts where it sounded like unlistenable noise, but there are no moments like this on the new one. All the songs are well written and structured, its a much more listenable experience overall, yet they've retained the harshness. I can tell this ones gonna be on continous play for a while!

I personally loved the noise approach of their older stuff, as well, but this is just as good, if not better overall.

sikth said:
Anaal Nathrakhs new album "Donime non es dignus" has been leaked!

I listened to it on the way to work this morning, first impressions are that its really good. Doesn't seem quite as harsh/extreme as The codex necro, but the songs seems more structured and varied. Anaal are still crazy fast and heavy, but somehow they seem to have made it sound more accessible this time round, it sounds like they've toned the industrial/electronic effects they used previously to give the music a harsher edge. The vocals are much more varied as well, with some sweet black metal clean vocals in the later tracks.

Anybody else get a hold of it yet? Your thoughts?

I gotta say, based on your description, it sounds like it blows hard.

Accessibility is the kiss of death, in my humble opinion.

Actually, I just read the post more closely, and I must ask, how can the album not "seem quite as harsh/extreme", but then tone something to "give the music a harsher edge"?

Black Metal clean vocals, by the way, is an oxymoron.

Mike.

when is it supposed to come out? i'm on dial-up so i don't even bother downloading anything anymore.

i've got The Codex Necro and WFRDFTMWRAIHS (that's a long one) and love them both.

Gory Elephant said:
I gotta say, based on your description, it sounds like it blows hard.

Accessibility is the kiss of death, in my humble opinion.

Actually, I just read the post more closely, and I must ask, how can the album not "seem quite as harsh/extreme", but then tone something to "give the music a harsher edge"?

Black Metal clean vocals, by the way, is an oxymoron.

Mike.

Accessibility is generally a word of doom within metal, but when there previous work was "very" close to being nothing but white noise, I think its a plus in this situation.

The middle bit of your post has confused me! Did you read mine carefully? I said that it doesn't seem as extreme/harsh, that doesn't mean that it isn't extreme/harsh (cause it certainly is!) and then I stated that they've toned down the harsh industrial elements, which kinda goes hand in hand with the first statement.

Anyways, don't form your opinions based on mine, go check it out yourself. I will say however that if your a fan of Anaal then you'll most probably dig this release.

E6V6I6L said:
when is it supposed to come out? i'm on dial-up so i don't even bother downloading anything anymore.

i've got The Codex Necro and WFRDFTMWRAIHS (that's a long one) and love them both.

Its out "officially" on the 2nd of November.

I started listening to it and had to stop the album midway through the third track. It's really, really boring. The production is utterly lifeless, the vocals are toned-down, the song structures are less chaotic, and the riffs, well, the riffs just aren't any good either.

Eugh. It's going to take me some courage to listen to it again. Give me The Codex Necro any day.

The death vocals they added are extremely sick. The production is far more involved than in any of their other albums, although more clean, it still holds a great amount of distortion. The riffs are excellent and don't sound out of place at all. It's my theory that this is the album where they break out of the "we sound like DMDS-era Mayhem with more distortion, for the most part" mold, which is spectacular.

The Codex Necro was great. I'll add their new album to my to buy list....along with the like 1000 other albums there...

dill_the_devil said:
I'm a massive Anaal Nathrakh fan - got The Codex Necro, When Fire Rains Down... and the Total Fucking Necro disc with their first two demos on it. Really, really looking forward to hearing this one.

Put simply, if you like everything they've released so far and aren't some tr00 maniac who thinks that they should have stayed exactly how they presented themselves on When Fire Rains Down From The Sky, Mankind Will Reap As It Has Sown (i.e. not evolved/changed/gotten better), you will not be disappointed by this release.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Put simply, if you like everything they've released so far and aren't some tr00 maniac who thinks that they should have stayed exactly how they presented themselves on When Fire Rains Down From The Sky, Mankind Will Reap As It Has Sown (i.e. not evolved/changed/gotten better), you will not be disappointed by this release.
A statement (unfortunately) disproven by yours truly. :erk:

SculptedCold said:
I started listening to it and had to stop the album midway through the third track. It's really, really boring. The production is utterly lifeless, the vocals are toned-down, the song structures are less chaotic, and the riffs, well, the riffs just aren't any good either.

Eugh. It's going to take me some courage to listen to it again. Give me The Codex Necro any day.

I totally disagree. There's nothing lacking in the production (remember you're listening to a compressed audio file, as opposed to the actual sound as it was intended. There's so much stuff going on you can't appreciate it on mp3s). The vocals are fucking extreme, and really varied. They're not toned down or held back at all. Some of the song structures are still chaotic, and there's some totally kickass riffs.

random_phil said:
I totally disagree. There's nothing lacking in the production (remember you're listening to a compressed audio file, as opposed to the actual sound as it was intended. There's so much stuff going on you can't appreciate it on mp3s). The vocals are fucking extreme, and really varied. They're not toned down or held back at all. Some of the song structures are still chaotic, and there's some totally kickass riffs.

Agreed, personnally I think the production is spot on, especially if you compare it to the last half of The codex necro. Both the vocals and riffs are an improvement over there previous efforts, there much more prominent and varied as opposed to just going for it hammer and tongs or being lost underneath the drum machine.

Each to his own though I guess :)