ANATHEMA - A Fine Day To Exit Sample !

Originally posted by Wolff

Whatever you douchebag!

Dark music... phew... to teenagers like you.

I know I can never get through to someone with such high musical maturity as yourself, but I'm actually 23.

But that's OK, we'll agree to disagree. I love old Anathema as well, but new Anathema is incredible dark music. Ah well.

Wolff... would you consider to post what is it that you like in music ? Is it repetitive guitar riffing and growling vocals ? Lyrics with enough dark words in them ? What made you think that new Anathema is teenager music ? Because they have Radiohead influences, and Radiohead as a popular band are uncool and undark to listen to ? Do you listen to something other than metal ? This is not an attack, I'm just curious.

As for me, I believe the Darren White albums suffer greatly because of his vocal incompetence - the growlings are good, but his whine is irritating to me. Anathema from Silent Enigma onward is my favourite music, and I can point all their imperfections, but still - the music wins. Judgement is very special - the most special piece of music to me.

I can't wait to hear the new one - but I don't want any samples - I want to hear it as a whole.

D Mullholand, a dead composer
---------------------------------------
NP: Therion - Beyond Sanctorum

Originally posted by D Mullholand
Wolff... would you consider to post what is it that you like in music ?

Here's some of my fave music posted in another thread...

Anathema (upto and including Eternity)
Danzig (first 5)
Dark Tranquillity (upto Mind's I)
Edge of Sanity (Swano era)
Empyrium
In Flames
Iron Maiden (upto and including Fear of the Dark)
Joe Satriani (Time Machine eh?)
Katatonia (early stuff)
Led Zeppelin
Marty Friedman
Megadeth (upto and including Youthanasia)
Metallica (upto and including Load; Outlaw Torn is a great song)
My Dying Bride (upto and including Angel and the dark river)
Misfits (Danzig era)
Mithotyn
Moonspell (the first 2 albums are classics; the rest crap)
Nightwish (Angels fall first; Oceanborn)
OPETH (Morningrise, Orchid, MAYH, SL, BP in order of my liking)
Paganini (yes the violinist; Capricci)
Sentenced
Skid Row
System of a Down
The Blood Divine
The Sins of Thy Beloved
Theatre of Tragedy (see Moonspell)
Ulver
some Yngwie (Rising Force)

Then I love flamenco (it's the guitar goddamit) Paco de Lucia, Ottmar Liebert, Armik, Antonio Morena etc; Classical guitar (mahlon Lucas and the like). Some Jazz.

And I'm 24. Have a good day.

Originally posted by D Mullholand
Is it repetitive guitar riffing and growling vocals ? Lyrics with enough dark words in them ? What made you think that new Anathema is teenager music ? Because they have Radiohead influences, and Radiohead as a popular band are uncool and undark to listen to ? Do you listen to something other than metal ? This is not an attack, I'm just curious.

"Serenades" is like an ocean of sadness--not the petty wrist-slashing teenage angst of later Anathema. Rather, it is deep... very deep. The drums pound rather than beat, Darren's gut-wrenching growl gives voice to all sorrow, and the guitars intertwine and wind around each other to create an atmosphere of intense, surreal suffering. This album is very close to perfection. And, without a doubt, the crowning achievment is "Lovelorn Rhapsody". Possibly the saddest song (or, rather, poem) ever written.

Originally posted by forlorn soul

I know I can never get through to someone with such high musical maturity as yourself, but I'm actually 23.

But that's OK, we'll agree to disagree. I love old Anathema as well, but new Anathema is incredible dark music. Ah well.

HAHA, little self-righteous aren't you? It's okay "you'll be outnumbered by the bastards, until you die". And that means you.

On the other hand, for me Serenades is not like a sea of sadness, but more like a swamp of boredom. Oh well. Tastes are subjective, and I can accept that for some people Serenades can be a personal record, as long as they don't claim that other means of expression are objectively inferior.

D Mullholand, a dead composer
----------------------------------------
NP: Annihilator - Never, Neverland

Originally posted by Wolff

HAHA, little self-righteous aren't you? It's okay "you'll be outnumbered by the bastards, until you die". And that means you.

I'm whatever you think I am. It matters not to me. But it's hilarious that someone who enjoys Skidrow (and I don't mean anything negative towards them) thinks newer Anathema is 'teenage angst wrist slasher' music.

And I'll go ahead and be as self-righteous as you have been: "it's an insult to all hear-felt music".

Anyways, I'll let you have the last insult in this one, because, as I said earlier, I know I'll never get through to someone with your musical intelligence.

Have a nice day.