Ancient places and tales from your area...

I suppose my bed isn't more than just some matress on the floor :D

Anyway, going back to the topic of this ancient thread :p

Just thought I'd tell something about my new nick then, and it fits in this thread just as it would in the new nick thread.

Ziu(wari) was a god that was worshipped in the lands I live in ages ago, before the migration of nations, mostly by the Saxon people who called him Saxnot (Swordgod). Later, when the Celts melt together with them and eventually with the norse heathendom spreading into their lands, Ziu melted with the God called "Tyr", as he resembled him alot. :)

I've seen a map lately with old heathen places from my area... I'll see if I can scan it and post a link :) Just in case someone's interested in some tourist guide? ;)

New nick? does it mean you have been here before with another one?
Anyway, merry meet Ziuwarian, well I figure out you got something in common with Ansuz... thinking of Menhir... :D
Are you a member of the band, a friend of Ansuz or Ansuz himself?

Anyway, I would be grateful seeing the map. :)

I suppose I have something in common with him :lol: :lol: See Happy Birthday thread for revelations :p ;)

Anyway, good morning Morgana :)

Oh wait... good morning?? :eek: To work in an hour :cry:

Also I try to find links of the town Kassel were the Brothers Grimm lived and worked. They collected folk tales from around the area and used them as the basis for their famous tales. There is a small Grimm museum in Schloss Bellevue. The main point of interest however is the grandiose Wilhelmshohe castle park and its monuments, on a hill just west of the town. It is one of Europe’s greatest Romantic landscaped parks and slopes from wooded heights down to the city suburbs. At its upper end is a towering monument topped by a statue of Hercules. Below are waterfalls and fountains. Below the cascades are numerous follies, the best being the ruin of the medieval Lowenburg Castle.

Theres an castle quite near me that said to be haunted, the castle is called Torpa (which is impossible to translate..). The tale goes like this: In the middle ages the castle was owned by a man, his daughter had been to a trip in the more southern parts of europe. And when she returned home to her father, he had heard rumours of the plague haunting europe (at that time the plague had not reached the northern parts of europe), and thought that his daughter had been infected (which she hadn't). So in fear of death he forced his daugther in to room without windows and then raised a wall where the door used to be. So then his daughter starved to death, and now its said she haunts the castle at night...
Scary...

Originally posted by Zykloned
Theres an castle quite near me that said to be haunted, the castle is called Torpa (which is impossible to translate..). The tale goes like this: In the middle ages the castle was owned by a man, his daughter had been to a trip in the more southern parts of europe. And when she returned home to her father, he had heard rumours of the plague haunting europe (at that time the plague had not reached the northern parts of europe), and thought that his daughter had been infected (which she hadn't). So in fear of death he forced his daugther in to room without windows and then raised a wall where the door used to be. So then his daughter starved to death, and now its said she haunts the castle at night...
Scary...

Thats a interesting story... thought i've heard every swedish "ghoststory". Do you know where one could get more info about Torpa?

yes Cleveland has some ancient tales and are know for many things.

we are the HOME OF ROCK AND ROLL BABY! :rolleyes:

and, the FIRST TRAFFIC LIGHT was in cleveland, and the very first BAR CODE, was scanned in cleveland on a pack of gum. that makes me so proud to live here :D

Close to where I live the there are some bronze-age stone burial mounds, unfortunately plundered some hundreds of years ago... These were along the coastline when built but because of the land-heightening around here (if you know what I mean/what it is, the coastline rises about 1cm/year because the weight of the ice from the ice age weightened the land lown and it's still rising) they're some miles inland now. Also we have some 'hällristningar' (Stone carvings?) a bit further away, but since it's about 40km in a direction I never go I haven't been there. I will sometime though. Also, we have lots of caves which I fucking love, lidbergsgrottorna ant tjyv-antes grotta, the latter's named after a thief who lived there some 100-150 years ago and stole cattle and such from the local population. I also have to point out as many before me that this thread is fucking great.

Dont have the time today to develop my message, but i live near the Brittany, in France and it s a great land of legends and histories : many prehistorical things (the biggest stones alignement for example...), celtic traditions, mystic places (Broceliand forest - King Arthur & Merlin the Wizard...), andmany other things. I will post most informations and pictures in a next post...