And The Bands Played On?

Lord Hypnos

New Metal Member
Mar 31, 2004
How come this song is not played live anymore? It's among the first tracks on the best of, and I think it's without a doubt one of Saxon's best songs ever! Why exclude it from the setlist!

Looking forward to see Saxon in Wacken!

well...looks like I've just had some bad luck :)

I really hope they play it at the anniversary show in Wacken!

I think there are always old classics that will get dropped. Even with a 2hr+ set only a finite number of songs can be played.

Now, I don't want to see Saxon turn into a pure nostalgia act who pretty much only play old songs cos I really like the new ones, so it stands to reason that only so much old stuff can get played. Choosing which OTHER old song would get dropped to let ATBPO in -- such as Wheels of Steel, 747, Princess, Crusader, Motorcycle Man., etc -- would not be an easy or rewarding task methinks.

Besides, if you just want to hear a nostalgia band play the old songs with very little new material aired then O/D are providing a service in this area ;)

I know what your talking about mate in the early 80's every time I saw them they did'ny play Denim And Leather.Then on the Dynesty(?) tour they played it while I was spewing in the corridor needless to say I ran down to the front while the sick ran down me jacket.Rock N Roll or what?:ill:

I like the new stuff too and I sure want them to play newer stuff also but they really cannot leave the stage without playing Crusader, Wheels, 747, Denim, Motorcycle and Princess. Nobody would go home without these classics.
With all the excellent newer stuff they just need to extend the shows, about 4hrs should do it...;-)

Yeah you could never get rid of any of those. I am wondering though what current songs will get dropped from the setlist, because I imagine that by the time the Astoria gig is on the new album will be out and they will be wanting to play new songs from that.

I hope Dogs of War, Metalhead and Crimson King survive to the new set, I love all of those live (although I'm aware that CK is not universally popular?).

Nope...seen some 10-12 shows on the past 3 tours and every single night they did CK...it could need a rest, the longer the better imho..

Well, can only second that...they got enough killer songs of their own, why play an average cover over and over again...Take CK off the setlist!

Can't say I'm much of a fan of 'Set me free' either to be honest. I seem to remember Black Lagoon saying that he has seen Saxon doing a cover of 'Whole lotta Rosie', and 'Spirit of Radio' in a sound check. Now to see Saxon doing either of those two songs would be great!

Well, they did "You got another thing comin'" last year in Duesseldorf together with Doro...I could easily live with this one in the set instead of CK...

Karsten

I think opinions on this may vary just depending upon when you got into Saxon. Killing Ground was one of the first albums I heard, its the album that really got me 'into' Saxon and then I went back and bought the entire rest of the back catalogue.

For me, if I had to choose one song to get rid of in the setlist it would probably be The Eagle Has Landed. I don't mind the song but its long and slow and to hear it every night I've seen Saxon is a bit monotonous -- however, I'm sure this song holds good memories for all the more veteran Saxon fans so the band will probably want to keep it.

I'd also like to see them get rid of the drum solo, although its quite an impressive performance as drum solos go I got the impression, ESPECIALLY at Bloodstock, that a lot of people were getting seriously bored during that even though personally I don't mind it.

Also, to be honest, I think when the band gets rid of songs from the setlist this year then they should be replaced with songs from the new album rather than ANY covers they might have played in the past. Obviously I haven't heard it yet, but I simply KNOW its going to be fookin brilliant!

Well, I agree as to the drum solo...not because it's a bad drum solo , actually it's one of the very few drum solos I ever enjoyed in concert but because I've seen it on the past few tours just too often now and it didn't change a thing over the years (still the very same beats, same acrobatic action by Fritz)...but I think they will keep it in the set because it gives the boys a few minutes of rest, have a drink and change shirts...keep in mind, Biff is 53 years old and probably needs the small break within his 2 1/2 hour set.

The Eagle has landed never bored me although I heard it probably a thousand times..it'S one of the finest songs they have.

I personally could easily live without Crusader ...:)

Well, Crusader is maybe like the one and only song they really never can omit. That's really one hell of a song. I can never get tired of that one. It's so good that I'm trying to learn it myself though I'm not much of a guitarist (even though I've played for years, I just don't have the talent), but the intro is nice to pick.

But like I said earlier 747, Wheels, Denim, Motorcycle and Princess are a must too.

Crimson King I really can do without though.

Karsten said:
Well, they did last year in Duesseldorf together with Doro...I could easily live with this one in the set instead of CK...

Karsten

funny thing about that was Biff was looking down the whole time trying to read the lyrics for "You got another thing comin'",but it sounded great.

The drum solo was always an integral part in the show...listened to some scottish shows from 1990 and 1991 (Glasgow April 7th 1990 and Motherwell July 10th 1991) which also included the solo drum part..looks like we have to finally cope with it..:)

Karsten said:
I personally could easily live without Crusader ...:)
I could live without Crusader on this message board too! Oh, you were talking about the song, sorry! Only joking Crusader! :lol:

I used to find 'The eagle has landed' a bit boring, but now I love it. Especially as now it is when the eagle in unveiled. Besides, it is always a good opportunity to have a Pat Cash when the song starts! :lol: