Lionheart; a sure thing for future setlists?

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site
What I find strange is that there are songs that are guaranteed to always be in the Saxon setlist. 'Wheels Of Steel', '747', 'And The Bands Played On', 'Strong Arm Of The Law', always make it. 'Denim & Leather', 'Dallas 1pm' usually are there too. What is the common link between all of those songs? They are all from 1982 and earlier! 'Dogs Of War' gets a regular run out (but not all the time), but even that song is ten years old!

But excuse me, Saxon have made loads of great songs that should be a 'sure thing' for a live gig. Especially from the last four albums. I am still trying to decide whether 'Lionheart' or 'Beyond The Grave' is my favourite track from the new album. But for me, 'Lionheart' (the track) is a bloody anthem! It is a great song heard at home on your hi-fi, but even better live. I mean, you try not raising your fist in the air during the 'Lionheart' chorus when your at a Saxon gig!

I reckon 'Lionheart' should be there along side '747', 'And The Bands Played On' etc in future setlists.

Lionheart the song is good but I'm not sure its quite good enough to be a regular fixture forever. I also find its vibe is quite similar to both Crusader and Conquistador both of which have been played often live.

I would have said Witchfinder General WAS that good though (one of my favourite Saxon songs EVER) but they already dropped it from the setlist at the Astoria so I reckon there's not much chance of that surviving forever!

But you're right, they should pick a few "evergreens" from the recent albums. Songs that are always played live can acheive a status thay never would if just heard on the album (all the young Iron Maiden fans I know love The Clansman, for example, even though most of them have never heard the studio original ... probably just as well actually!).

As for what, though, its pretty difficult. My vote at the moment would probably go for Metalhead.

I can see where you're coming from on this. For example would a Queen gig not play 'Bo Rhap'? Would Bowie not play 'Ziggy'? Metallica 'Sandman'? Priest 'Breakin' the Law'? Maiden '666'? Rush 'The Trees'? AC/DC 'Let There Be Rock'?
None of these songs are my faves by those bands but it reflects that these bands, like Saxon, have so many class songs that they are forced to miss out a favourite or two... or three... or four!
Paxoman - as for 'LionHeart' being a must for gigs, only time will tell. After all, was 'Crusader' considered a classic as soon as it was made? I doubt that it was. These things happen in there own time. Who knows, we may be thinking of 'Searching For Atlantis' as a classic in ten years time. It really is very hard to tell until you let things progress naturally.
I personally feel that the band's last few albums have shown them at their best again, but I don't perceive any of these songs to be a 'must' at gigs. I reckon time will tell us which of the songs are as the same class as 'Eagle', 'Crusader', 'D&L'.