Unlucky Lionheart!

SAXONIZED

Made In Yorkshire
Apr 8, 2005
As we await Saxon’s “The Eagle Has Landed III”, due for release this coming week, I wanted to acknowledge their last offering – Lionheart as a truly great album. In my opinion I would put this in my top three Saxon albums, but feel it was unlucky not to have been played live as much, due to unforeseen circumstances.

I bought this album as soon as released and thought instantly how powerful; energetic it was, due to great songs, Biff on top form, mean guitar work and great drumming. Jorg Michael is a shit hot drummer and I feel contributed highly on Lionheart.

Quotes from the metal press – 2004

“The biographical note says that the guys took a long time to write the material and rehearse before they went into the studio and that shows because LIONHEART is not anything they have put together on a lunch break. The album is very stable and the new drummer feels like the fuel injection the guys needed”

“There are quite a few tempo changes and Michael uses his double bass pedals heavily”

“Saxon has delivered an incredible album with LIONHEART and they show that they are still hungry and a force to reckon with. Michael seems to be the right man for the job and he sounds like he really enjoys being a part of this gang. The speed on the songs feels a bit faster than normal Saxon but that is just a positive thing, I have to say that I can’t find any negative about this album so I have to give it the highest rating”

I saw the band live at the Astoria, London and also at Wolverhampton two days later on the Lionheart tour. The tour was billed ‘Part One’ with further dates in March 05. But early 05 circumstances and timing were not on the bands side.

Official site – Feb 2005

SAXON have been forced to postpone their previously announced March European tour as a result of the band's front man Biff Byford suffering a major loss when his house in the Normandy area of France burned down. Fortunately, nobody was hurt. The European tour dates are expected to reschedule for later this year.

And two days later Jorg Michael announces he is leaving the band!!

We don’t get any news until Aug 05 and great news it is! Nigel Glocker is rejoining Saxon!!!

Nigel’s got his work cut out! Not much rehearsal time to refresh himself with the old songs let alone the Lion heart tracks, so the Lion heart Part two tour becomes ‘ A Night out with the boys ‘ tour with two Lion heart tracks included ( Witchfinder General, Lionheart I think are the two they played in Nottingham, Oct 05)

I’m not complaining and it’s not the bands fault, I just wanted more of the album live! At least the new live album and future release DVD will feature many Lionheart tracks.

So that’s it really! Nigel will want to be involved with the writing side of things on the next album and rightly so, I hope it is as good as Lionheart. Regarding future live shows we may get a couple from this great album.

My thoughts go out to the fans in particular our American friends, who are still waiting to see Saxon whatever songs they play, I’m sure they will get over soon.

LIONHEART ONE OF SAXON’S FINEST!!!………………..AND CERTAINLY LIVES UP TO IT’S NAME!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

As Priest and Maidens latest records (AOR and DOD)couldnt measure up to there classic back catalog Lionheart is the rare gem that stands up awesome next to personal favorites and classic saxon records like Power and the Glory and Strong Arm Of the law . Never underestimate the involvement of the producer involved. It would be a mistake to not continue right where lionheart left off , using the same production staff and studio to recreate another masterpiece like lionheart.

i agree fully with all the comments made ,i may add that the record label is now backing the band and many others in its stable with cds befitting the groups stature ( full liner notes ,bonus songs extra cds etc ) and i think that is a contributing factor to the bands resurgence ,also now saxon are headlining or been high on the bill at major rock festivals around europe ( except the uk.... and dont start me off on one with the charlatons at download ) and because of this are now playing to a larger and mixed audience which can only help...long may it last........ 3 weeks to graspop..... and counting

Hello my friends,

Well, I think Lionheart a good album but in my opinion is not better than Metalhead or Unleash the Beast. I´m very very happy because Nigel rejoin the band. I´m certain that the next will be a killer album.:headbang:

Talking about The Eagle Has Landed III ...I think the highlight is disc 1 with 25th Anniversary of NWOBHM tracks. Personally, I think Saxon always had been excellent drummers and Nigel is the classic!

The disc 2 is very good too. I´m very curious about the new dvd:loco:

Saxon rules!

Degas said:
Hello my friends,

Well, I think Lionheart a good album but in my opinion is not better than Metalhead or Unleash the Beast. I´m very very happy because Nigel rejoin the band. I´m certain that the next will be a killer album.:headbang:

Talking about The Eagle Has Landed III ...I think the highlight is disc 1 with 25th Anniversary of NWOBHM tracks. Personally, I think Saxon always had been excellent drummers and Nigel is the classic!

The disc 2 is very good too. I´m very curious about the new dvd:loco:

Saxon rules!

That drum stool is Nigel’s rightful place, and I’m really pleased he’s back. And yes since the release of Unleash the Beast Saxon are producing quality albums. I just hope they keep the momentum going, they are on a roll now, with a lot of younger fans taking interest. Lionheart, I think captures an energy that new blood in a band brings. We all know they can go out and play the classics and will always have that hardcore fan base, but when a fifteen year old, standing next to me at a gig, screaming his head off at Biff for “Man And Machine” it tells me this band can get back to the larger packed venues they deserve.

As for the new DVD Degas, I believe it’s a video diary of the Lionheart tour, with the London Astoria show also included, cant wait!!

Yup, Saxon have had killer albums since 'Unleash The Beast' right up until 'Lionheart'. All have been excellent. Also I do think the only bad album they had was 'Destiny' and even that has some good songs on it.

I do think 'Forever Free' is very under-rated - but we'll save that for another day.

I am also very glad that Nigel is back as he IS the drummer for Saxon and he is sure better then Jorg (imo).

The next album will kick even more ass I can feel it!!!

:headbang: