Lionheart discussion thread

Crusader

Metal addict
Sep 13, 2002
Hi! Post everything that has to do with Lionheart here! Reviews, links, everything etc so we don't fill the entire forum with it in separate

Ok, so I got the album today (the digipack), and it's great. It's much more fresh and powerful than I ever could have imagined. And Saxon keeps on with the heavy riffs! Tracks as Lionheart and Beyond the Grave are my current favourites. I would say this album is less heavier than Metalhead, or maybe just less raw, but Lionheart is more dreary, and has this mellow -but still heavy- parts in it which isn't really a Saxon "thing".
And the songs have a better quality than in KG, though it's somewhat in KG's style. Anyway, listen to the album and you'll get it, because I can't really explain it yet!

Witchfinder general = Good up tempo song to start the album of with, saxon deciding on this occasion not to start the album of with the title track, which is different and it works give this track 9 and a half out of ten.

Man and machine = again good up tempo track, good chorus 10/10.

The return = intro track leading into lionheart sort of atmospheric sounding nice intro 10/10

Lionheart = for me this is prob joint fav song of the album along with juctice, great lyrics like the guitar behind the chorus, + like the slow down section before the guitar solo great song 10/10.

Beyond the grave = I heard this might be saxon first single of the album good song but if i had the choice id pick either lionheart or juctice as the first single 9/10.

juctice = again great up tempo song love this track along with lionheart 10/10.

To live by the sword = another good track great drumming on here along with the rest of the album 9/10.

Jack tars = 9/10

English man o war = Im going to give this track 10/10 same score as lionheart and juctice but comes a close second behind them great track

Searching for atlantis = nice mid tempo sort of song tuck me a few listens to get into this track but its ok prob my second least fav track of the album

Flying on the edge = My least fav track of the album, It dosent seem to fit with the rest of the album, as in the lyrics the guitars and drums on here are good but the lyrics and the way the song has been put together dosent work for me this song might have worked better maybe on the dogs of war album but hopefully this song will grow on me but i dont think it will 5 or 6/ 10.

Overall i think this is saxon best album to date it beats wheels of steel album and for me unleash the beast as well, saxon have put a lot more up tempo songs on this album which ive been waiting for saxon to do for ages rather then just say 2 up tempo tracks onto 1 album but also keeping the guitars nice and heavy at the same time.

and biffs vocals sound amazing on this album the best ive ever heard him, the drumming is top draw giving saxon just that bit extra,nibbs bass also spot on again, cant fault the production on the album charlie giving saxon that bit more raw edge in the studio without going over the top with it,

This is an album almost full of great metal tracks, when you buy an album these days you might get 2 or 3 great tracks on it with saxon s lionheart album for me there all great tracks apart from 1 which is excellant.

I think a lot of thought has gone into this album and you can tell this aint no rush job, As the songs overall have been put together really well and one thing that stands out a lot on a lot of the songs of the album are the tempo changes within a lot of the songs of the album which is different and good.

10/10 for the whole of the album and well worth waiting for,

Thanks for a great album saxon, see you in london oct 2nd Hope to hear plenty of the lionheart album. ROCK ON :Spin:

I think it's safe to say that the opening song on the up and coming tour will be Lionheart! Lights go down, fans start chanting 'Saxon' 'Saxon' 'Saxon', the intro starts playing, Saxon blast into Lionheart, everyone starts jumping, SORTED! Roll on 2nd October!

They already opened on the Metalhead tour 1999/2000 and on the KG tour 2001/2002 with the title track in the same way (lights go out, the intro starts, Fritz, Nibbs, Doug and Paul walk on stage in the dark and Biff comes up for last with a long black coat on starting off into the title track of the latest release..)...it most definitely will be the same this year I think...

Just some three days 'til Filderstadt...

As I allready mentioned in another thread I think this is a real strong album. There was no point of irritation when listening to it for the first timezz. Yesterday though I skipped a track for the first time. It was searching for atlantis, so I'll guess this is my less favourite song.

Well after listening to the album a good few times I can say that I seriously love it.
I find this album more complete than Killing Ground, but not quiet as good as say Unleash the Beast.
Fav track on the album at the moment has to be Beyond the Grave, which is a superb number. Will be really looking forward to seeing what tracks from the album they play live.
Could Jack Tar be played and feature the return of Biff with an acoustic guitar?!

Not really much more I can add except to say the new album is an absolute stormer. Easily their best since 'Unleash The Beast' (possibly better?).

Like a fine wine Saxon seem to get better with age. 'Lionheart' and 'English Man 'o' War' are absolute classics.

Album of the year?

Finally got my hands on it (Digipack with patch) and after several loud listens can confirm that Witchfinder General is the best track in my opinion, it rocks hard! but then again the whole lot are great tunes, although Jack Tars was a bit of a surprise, reminiscent of Absent Friends I thought and I agree with a previous post, this should be played live, just so we can see Biff playing that guitar again (but lets hope someone doesnt wheel out a stool for him to sit on though!)

Crusader said:
There aren't any lyric credits in the case! Anyone know who wrote each song?
undefined
I love Saxon! This would be my face if they quit :OMG: lol

Crusader -

I think the band has decided that all tracks will just be credited to 'Saxon'. So it is hard to say who wrote what - everyone had a part, but I'm sure Biff is the lyric writer. The process just knocks a lot of legal complications of the head, you know?

It seems that an awful lot of bands take this route of sharing the credits once they've been together for awhile. They've grown up and the egos have gone, so thet just think 'Sod it, we all wrote it!'.
When I played in a band (oh, so many years ago!), I was the main songwriter, but when the other guys got hold of the songs they were so much changed and converted to what I had initially planned (usually for the better, I might add!)
It does make it more interesting when you see who wrote what, though. Remember 'Solid Ball'? Nibbs wrote most of that baby!

Switchnow said:
i'm just waiting for lionheart in the USA
Me too!
Per Amazon, the release date is Tuesday 9/28.

I HOPE the record is easy to find. There's a Virgin Megastore around the corner from my work, so I'll swing by at lunchtime.
However, I'm not holding my breath. The ONLY Saxon CDs they had in stock last week was: "Heavy Metal Thunder".....and nothing else. :(

We've the same problem in the UK - all the shops sell are compilations! they seem to forget that Saxon made a huge impression on the music scene in their own country!
That was why I made my pre-order with Play.Com as soon as I knew the album was going to be released. It was delivered on the 21st and was a bargain at £10.99.
If I do see the album in a shop here in the UK, I'm sure the price will be around £15!

Anyhoo - good luck with the 'LionHeart' hunt - you will not be disappointed! I promise!

This album is superb!! It's not my favourite ( Metalhead ) but it's up there with the best like Unleash the Beast!

Firstly, a great combination of heavyness and melody! I thought Killing Ground was a bit too mellow and could have had a few more songs like the title track. Lionheart puts this right with many headbanging belters that are well written.
Secondly, the production is fantastic; clear and powerful but also keeping a raw element to it. I could write more but I have not had the album long, so am still soaking it up. Can't wait to see Saxon on tour!! I'll be in London and Wolverhampton!!!