circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
And Utero Dominae – Bleeding Machines EP
Self-Released – 2006
By Jason Jordan

anduterodominae.jpg

Like anything I receive for review, I was hoping And Utero Dominae’s Bleeding Machines EP would be awesome, but it didn’t quite work out that way. Instead, this death-tinged industrial is mostly bland despite the obvious positive attributes – professional artwork, decent production, and guest vocals from Steve Austin (Today Is the Day).

While death metal and industrial certainly walk hand in hand on this release, it seems AUD lean more towards the latter than the former, citing the overall repetitive nature that is perhaps the inversion of, say, death-centered material by Red Harvest, Scorngrain, Thy Disease and many, many others. Rather than being obnoxious or atrocious, however, much of Bleeding Machines simply fails to engage the listener. It’s not all bad, though. The title track’s guitar riffs and drum rhythms from 2:05 and on are great, whereas the primary melody in ‘The Agony Disease’ from 2:20 to the song’s close is of equal quality.

Aside from Austin’s presence during the weak, forgettable ‘The Inverted,’ there’s nothing noteworthy about Bleeding Machines. Still, And Utero Dominae aren’t hopeless, because as I said earlier, the music isn’t terrible – it’s just boring. Perhaps the two-piece will be able to inject more entertaining elements into their next endeavor.

Official And Utero Dominae Website