And we got it : Mel Gibson viking movie!

Celtik Militia

Dumb French Bastard
Aug 12, 2004
Paris
Mel Gibson is set to direct a period drama about Vikings, starring Di Caprio (weird choice of actor for a Viking but I think he could turn out ok).
Here's where I got the info:
http://worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=16114&count=0

The fact that Di Caprio is in it might mean that this won't be in old norse (they probably would have cast icelandic actors or something if it were the case...), too bad. But maybe we should wait for more info.

I searched the forum to check if a thread had already been created about the subject, and I found this one where many here were hoping for a Mel Gibson viking movie :D What are the odds? ^^
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/amon-amarth/271018-vikings-more-vikings.html

wow, surprised they got such big names for this film, hopefully it doesn't suck!

One thing that bothers me in the 13th warrior, Kulich has said in an interview about his character being one of the first to convert, why does he shout out to Odin to guide him ashore?

Mel Gibson and the crew are going to make an astounding period drama. I am so relieved, to be honest. Often movies and games with Nordic themes really fall short of anything more than entertaining. Often, in my opinion, they are bad and almost misrepresentative of the rich 'Viking' culture.

Overall, fuck yes, I am going to worship this movie!

Maybe non-vikings will take us a little more seriously and begin to withdraw from retarded stereotypes.

I'm looking forward to this, as finally it looks like a major production dedicated to a viking story. Regardless of the historical accuracy, I still think this will be a lot of fun. As for di Caprio as a viking, I'm sure he's not going to look like Arnie Grape. He'll buff up, they'll through some furs over him and he'll be fine. Bring it on I say. Great news.

Some years ago rumours were floating about the internet and, one way or another, DiCaprio's name came to be attached to a film portrayal of the Battle of Clontarf, in which Norsemen played an integral part. If this is the film coming to realisation, then it's more likely that DiCaprio will be filling the role of the Ard Ri, Brian Boru, than any Viking.

Seems like poor casting to me (I'd prefer to see someone like Brendan Gleeson -- a real Irishman and not some scrawny runt like DiCaprio), but we'll see what happens.

Well apparently DiCaprio has always been a huge fan of Vikings. Knowing this I'd expect that he has the role of a viking in this upcoming movie.
I'm sure he'd do ok. He can look tough. We always have the image of him in Titanic, but in more recent movies like Gangs of New York, Blood Diamond and The Departed I thought he was pretty cool and fit the role of the tortured tough boy pretty well. The only thing is that I really hope this movie will be in old norse (like what Mel Gibson did with Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto), I'm not sure if DiCaprio can really pull that off.

Honestly, if Gibson thinks DiCaprio has what it takes to pull off the "viking" look, I trust him. I doubted him before Apocalypto, and ate my words by the shovelful. I'll at least wait to see a preview before I open my mouth to criticize him.

@Cobracommander: Vikings are too epic to be compared like that, so that's just not fair to Mel.