Andy and James... question about reverb and FX routing/sends/levels

acorredor

Still Learning
Sep 26, 2003
Bogota, Colombia
www.audiotaller.com
Hello everyone...
Hopefully this hasen't been asked previously... i would like to ask, how do you approach reverb and FX in your mixes... like most of us here, i record heavy music, using many techniques learned here (thanx a lot), but this i haven't really figured it out yet... i record drums micing everything very close, even the cymbals, and edit every kick, snare and tom hit, leaving the drums sounding very dry... when i record music that isn't very fast, or intense, y would capture more of a stereo imege with higher placed overheads, getting a nice natural ambience for the kit, instead of using reverb. So, my question is, do you apply reverb to all parts of the set? do you apply reverb to hi-hats and cymbals...or the kick? or just snare and toms? how do you configure your sends? do you send the same ammount of reverb to every part? different ammounts? do you set up a drum bus and put the verb there? do you change the level of the verb from part to part on the same song? Have you worked on something that was worth recording the drums in a more traditional matter, using the natural verb of your drum room? in this case, where triggerds aren't used, how do you approach the edit process? do you still edit every tom hit? do you leave a longer tale on them? Any answer is highly appreciated.

hey dude,

i use one send reverb on all the of the kit (and a BIT on guitars sometimes..) realy... useally a plate of some sort..
the waves Rverb and the spinaudio roomverb m2m are nice and if you watch out that the reverb trail/decay ain't to high it should put your drums in one nice perceptual space (something you wont get as much when using different reverbs.)

and if your OH's pick SOME of the snare then you'll useally just find yourself only putting verb on the OH's and maybe toms.. because the oh's allready make for some verb for the snare because of the snarebleed it has.

and maybe automate the mix/wet on the verb send on the hard/soft parts of the music, should give some cool results:headbang:

i'm just getting into using them myself and i'm not andy or james but i hope this helps...:loco:

jb.