Andy, need help with mixing the snare drum!

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hello andy...

I got the "drumkit from hell" samples CD (which if you don't know it already is meshuggah's drummer sampled kit). I started to program some patterns with it and it sounded great. That was until i attempted to test how it sounds in a mix and then the problems begun.
The basic problem i had was the snare...as soon as i had guitars and bass in the mix the snare would sound awful. So i looked inside the CD and there were some settings they used for their demos. Basically it was waves renaissance compressor on the close miked sample and a c1 compressor on the room ambience sample. After i apllied both those settings the improvement was great, the snare had the hard sharp attack that made it sound great in the mix. Again , though, my joy didn't last long, as soon as i applied a compressor/limiter in the whole mix the snare would lose all these qualities and got lost in the mix and i couldn't make out the snare rolls and fills.
I've heard a lot of meshuggah's CDs and i know that the snare sample i use should be able to sound much better(since is supposedly the same snare). I'll use as an example so you understand what i mean nevermore's "dead heart..." where even though there is a lot going on in the mix and a lot of compression you can still make out the snare with hard attack. The same goes for most of meshuggah recordings which i'm sure you've heard.
I would really apreciate it if you could help me with this please!.... i'm sure you'll have a usefull advice.