Andy: On reference CDs

cobrahead1030 said:
lamb of god- as the palaces burn (to remind me how sloppy of a player i am...and something about the production i really like)

Did you like the production on that album better then ashes......I know ashes is compressed to shit but I think it was done in a very good way.....that album is so damn clear from top to bottom.....and yes most of us are sloppy when compared to them....

Evergrey - Recreation Day.
Evergrey - Inner Circle (for drums mainly).
In Flames - Clayman.
Testament - The Gathering.
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour.
KSE - Alive or Just Breathing.
Dream Theater - Awake (amazing drums).

Mainly those. I go to lots of other stuff. Lots of non metal too to rest my mind a bit when I'm mixing.

chadsxe said:
Did you like the production on that album better then ashes......I know ashes is compressed to shit but I think it was done in a very good way.....that album is so damn clear from top to bottom.....and yes most of us are sloppy when compared to them....

Does anybody else hear artifacts and just downright distortion on "Ashes of the Wake" when listening with much volume at all? I notice alot of it on my monitors. I don't notice it in my car and only a little on my home stereo. Just curious, as so many people praise that production. I tend to think it is just "too much".

chadsxe said:

i like them both for different reasons

i like how palaces is a nonstop onslaught, there's no flash/flare in the production, it's just straight up raw brutality...the musicianship really makes the songs, and i don't think any other band could've made a killer album that sounded like that

ashes of the wake takes a very different approach...there's a lot of space in the mix, the clarity is untouched by anything else i've heard...there are parts when the sound is 'altered' a bit to fill itself in more, and it's very effective

the playing and performance is absolutely top notch on both albums...and altho i think i prefer the songs on palaces, there are some really great tunes to be found on both IMO...and i dig the fact that they both stray away from the sound a lot of bands are going for, to create something different; whether or not it works well is in the eye of the beholder

Here are some of my favorite reference cds:
Nevermore:Dhiadw
Testament:The gathering
Arch enemy:Anthems of rebellion
Machine head:Through the ashes of empires
Judas priest:painkiller
Invocator:Weave the apocalypse
Carcass:Heartwork
At the gates:Slaughter of the soul
White zombie:Astro creep 2000

But it really dsepend on what i´m trying to achive

Killswitch Engage - End Of Heartache/Alive or Just Breathing (No explanation necessary)
In Flames - Clayman (Biggest sounding metal record I've heard)
Avenged Sevenfold - Waking The Fallen (I like Mudrock's dry production here, works well on the vocals. The Bogner Uberschall sounds really good for this.)
Opeth - Ghost Reveries (The sound is so tight you'll be gasping for air...sorry, that was a horrible metaphor)

Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Tool - Lateralus
Deftones - White Pony
Metallica - Black Album
A7X - Waking the Fallen

Metalhead28 said:
Does anybody else hear artifacts and just downright distortion on "Ashes of the Wake" when listening with much volume at all? I notice alot of it on my monitors. I don't notice it in my car and only a little on my home stereo. Just curious, as so many people praise that production. I tend to think it is just "too much".

Thank you....I don't have a blown tweeter then....I heard them on my moniters and freaked out.....I do think that is shitty they let it pass but I still love the production the album....

cobrahead1030 said:
i like them both for different reasons

i like how palaces is a nonstop onslaught, there's no flash/flare in the production, it's just straight up raw brutality...the musicianship really makes the songs, and i don't think any other band could've made a killer album that sounded like that

ashes of the wake takes a very different approach...there's a lot of space in the mix, the clarity is untouched by anything else i've heard...there are parts when the sound is 'altered' a bit to fill itself in more, and it's very effective

the playing and performance is absolutely top notch on both albums...and altho i think i prefer the songs on palaces, there are some really great tunes to be found on both IMO...and i dig the fact that they both stray away from the sound a lot of bands are going for, to create something different; whether or not it works well is in the eye of the beholder

could not have said it better

James Murphy said:
the album was mixed by Colin Richardson... let's not forget that. ;)

Yeah. I haven't worked with Ben but a few of my friends have and they had nothing but great things to say about his approach to recording. He rarely turns folks away either. From what I hear he will find a way to work within your budget.

MKS said:
Yeah. I haven't worked with Ben but a few of my friends have and they had nothing but great things to say about his approach to recording. He rarely turns folks away either. From what I hear he will find a way to work within your budget.
iv'e met Ben and worked at Spider twice and Ben is indeed a very cool guy.

C.O.C - Blind
Judas Priest- British Steel
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Metallica - Black Album & Garage Inc.
In Flames - Clayman
Carcass - Heartwork
Iron Maiden - Powerslave & Piece of Mind
3 Inches of Blood - Advance & Vanquish ... a great sounding modern disc. (Go Canada!) Mixed by Mr. Richardson.

...Ok, so I'm old.

-0z-

James Murphy said:
the album was mixed by Colin Richardson... let's not forget that. ;)

I was scrolling down to make the same exact point when I saw this. So, ditto.