ANDY SNEAPS JOB ON MIXING DELIVERANCE

Rocky Raccoon

I am the Walrus
Feb 24, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
What did you guys think of it?
personally I thought it was too clinical for Opeth, it took alot of the atmosphere away that other Opeth albums have. I like Andy Sneap but I think he is better suited to mixing stuff like Arch Enemy where they need that sort of well-oiled metal machine sound.

Im listening to Deliverance right now, so I can comment on this. Although the quality is very good, I just dont think the magic of his production works for Opeth. A band like Nevermore, it just makes it amazing, but it doesnt work for these guys.

I still have to say it sounds really good. But it takes away from the Opeth atmosphere. Other than that, it is a good production job, everything is mixed in really well, and the sound is very crisp and clean.

blimey - Care to elaborate, or are you just going to come across as a pretentious asshole?

EternalMetal said:
Im listening to Deliverance right now, so I can comment on this. Although the quality is very good, I just dont think the magic of his production works for Opeth. A band like Nevermore, it just makes it amazing, but it doesnt work for these guys.

I still have to say it sounds really good. But it takes away from the Opeth atmosphere. Other than that, it is a good production job, everything is mixed in really well, and the sound is very crisp and clean.

blimey - Care to elaborate, or are you just going to come across as a pretentious asshole?

Yea exactly, its a good mix, just not one that should be used on an Opeth album. more suited to Nevermore/Arch Enemy etc

EternalMetal said:

Pretentious asshole or opinionated?
Care to elaborate on that, cunt?

I think its horrible because it sounds too synthetic.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Considering Deliverance is my favorite Opeth album, I would have to say Andy Sneap's job on mixing it was really good.

And Blimey, stop being silly.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFB

,,l,,

blimey said:
Pretentious asshole or opinionated?
Care to elaborate on that, cunt?

I think its horrible because it sounds too synthetic.

Pretentious because it is trendy to bash stuff like this. Especially Deliverance, considered one of their worst albums by many fans. Most totally blame the production, and that is also something that is popular.

I am opinionated on a lot of things. But I actually present my side of the story instead of saying "its sucks."

EternalMetal said:
Pretentious because it is trendy to bash stuff like this. Especially Deliverance, considered one of their worst albums by many fans. Most totally blame the production, and that is also something that is popular.

I am opinionated on a lot of things. But I actually present my side of the story instead of saying "its sucks."

I for one don't give a shit what most fans think is worst. Deliverance is my second favorite album, to Blackwater Park. So obviously that is not the issue. Forum trends? You ARE shitting me, right?

Now that you mention it I guess analyzing it over and over again would reveal some questionable stuff, however I have never noticed anything on Deliverance that seemed unfitting to their sound, in fact I think it sounds good. I think it is a good comment though and I'm just curious as to what elements of the album you guys feel are shortchanged compared to that of other productions. Any feedback?

There's something lacking in the atmosphere, but the production values themselves are great.

And chill out, blimey. It's the fucking internet - it's not like someone insulted your mom.

Personally i really like the production of Deliverence. Everything is incredibily clear and crisp sounding and it's nice to hear how Opeth sound with this kind of a mix. The song Deliverence in my opinion sounds better than any other Opeth song when cranked fully up on an excellent pair of speakers.

Mumblefood said:
Man, i'm retarded. I thought it was Steve wilson who mixed that album... oops...

anyway, i don't like how that album sounds. Too dry for an Opeth album, needs to be more "full" sounding an lush.
PRODUCED. Remember that. Write it down. Stamp it on your head. Burn it in your forearm. PRO-DUCED.

- the TMSFGJAEUPGWMSFFWELCFB