Andy: V12 vs V30 thoughts?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Or any one else with experience with both...

I know your Krank cabinet has V12's, or did, and I was wondering how you like them compared to the V30's? I have V12's in my current 2x12 right now, and am trying to decide on the speakers for my next cabinet. I really like the V12's, but I know they're a V30 clone. Do the V30's end up sounding better, in that case?

Thanks!

Andy Sneap said:
I'm swapping mine out for celestions, they seem to sound good in the room but not when mic'd.
So maybe they sound good with a ribbon mic... ? Nevermind, just a thought...:loco:
I have eminence but not v12, it's an older model that was supposed to be v30 copy. They sound different but good to my crappy ears... Always smooth and balanced. I also tried the governor red coat series... They are cheap and sound... cheap.

Ribbon mics dont work for metal. I had a pair of royers for awhile at the studio, and they're great mics, but really only sound good with rock type tone.. and not even great at that (in my opinion). Every time a 57 was the obvious winner..

I think it depends on the speaker. For example, v30+57=great, v30+md421=not that great. G12t+57=crap, G12t+md421=ok. Of course that's very subjective
Ribbon mics are known to be fair (royer especially) while sm57 add his own caracter. That's why I suggested it for this speaker model regarding Andy's comment.
But it's just a guess.

I feel like royers really muffle the attack of the pick and makes the guitar sound a little veiled and not upfront.

They would be awesome for alternative rock for that wall of sound guitar tone, but for anything with definition, forget about it.

Love them on drum rooms however.. you can get a lot of meat out of the drums and dont get hissy spitty cymbals..

Red Planet said:
I feel like royers really muffle the attack of the pick and makes the guitar sound a little veiled and not upfront.

They would be awesome for alternative rock for that wall of sound guitar tone, but for anything with definition, forget about it.

I've gotten great, aggressive, metal tones with my R-122. The pre-amp makes a huge difference. Goign through a Neve 1272, the ribbon sounds like muffled ass. Going through the Avalon 2022 it sounds huge. I think because the Avalon has such a fast rise time that it compensates for the ribbon's "rounding" of the transients.

They also sound great on snare drum - but I've only used them to make samples, the figure 8 pickup would not be so great on a full kit. For outside kick drum it works really well too. I added it about 18" off the front head, with a D-112 in the drum pointed at the beater, and got great results.