Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I've already got:

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Korn - The Untouchables

It's hard to imagine that many mixes in history can touch 'The Untouchables', so I'm assuming it's his career topper at the moment?

I'd love to get more of his work all the same, just for a greater cross section of rock mixes with such a fluid, 'elastic', squishy low-end. I just love how OTB everything sounds. Kinda dulled and smooth - very vibey.

So what are your favourite AW mix jobs?

I like "grace" by Jeff Buckley, I don't think it's exactly what you're looking for, but it's definitely worth checking it out

Am I delusional or is the bass grit panned to the left during the heavy sections on this album?

yeah it definatly is.
listen to bulls on parade.
First two rage albums are definatly my fave wallace work, as well as Dashboard Confessional "dusk and summer"

Love how he just has one guitar per side. genius

Evil Empire is my favourite Rage album. The perfect meditation on the power of a simple, tight rhythm section.

Grace and Hybrid Theory are the only others I really know of as Andy Wallace mixes, and they are also 2 of the finest mixes I've ever heard. I'm sure there are many more tha I've heard, but they just haven't twigged as Andy Wallace mixes just yet.

this

and Ermz I realy dont like the Untouchables mix :/
Sounds like plastic.....

didnt wallace did alot of limp-bizkits stuff (tracked by terry date)
significant other and chocolate starfish sounding FANTASTIC and way superior to the untouchables album
Yeah he did Slipknot - IOWA aswell

I think the kick drums let down Hybrid Theory a bit (seems to rob the overall mix of breathing space in the mids due to it not being mid scooped enough), but goddamn that guitar and bass guitar and how seem so separated yet simultaneously glued together is just incredible.

The guitar sound in itself is just such a perfect example of the guitar tone techniques we discussed recently in the "Dull Guitars Rock" thread.
Not muffled sounding at all, yet smooth enough in the 4-7KHz to not sound harsh and sounds kinda like everything after that is kinda low passed.
Hearing Hybrid Theory definitely inspired me to low pass guitars at about 7-7.5KHz, because it was just so evident how much of the brightness of the guitars in Hybrid Theory seem to sit somewhere in the 4-6Khz range.
I know that Runaway and With You were played on the Ibanez RG7620 (7 string), so definitely proves basswood guitars can actually bring the goods provided the pickups in them are voiced to match the basswood itself.

Have to say, I prefer that guitar sound to one of your other big heavy rock references, "Follow You Home".
While (the songs) Follow You Home and Fight For All the Wrong Reasons are undeniably good mixes, to me the guitars are a bit too bright, whereas the brightness of the guitars in Hybrid Theory are to my ears, as close as it gets to perfect.

To me the first RATM is the most live / real sounding rock album EVER. It might not be the loudest or most polished mix on earth, but it's the perfect presentation of RATM to me.

Bobby

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll get onto some of these. Keen to revisit those old Sepultura and Soulfly records I haven't heard since my teens...

gabriel, not sure what you mean that 'Untouchables' sounds like 'plastic'. Strange to bring it up in reference to IOWA too - I always thought the snare on that one sounded like a shallow plastic tub.

@harry: That's all fair enough, but I find the guitars on 'Hybrid Theory' to be very flat and uninteresting. There are no balls behind them. The whole mix is a bit mid-centric and doesn't breathe enough for my liking. Not sure I would call the guitars on 'Follow You Home' bright at all. If anything I always thought the low-mids clouded them. 'Fight for All The Wrong Reasons' is definitely edgy though.