Andy Wallace's best mixes?

After listening to a couple of songs of the albums you recommended I definitely hear hes "style". I think the first RATM sounds really awesome . Evil empire has such much lowmids on the kick which is a little bit annoying, only listening through headphones though. But what a groovy album!!!

And that Korn album really sounded awesome :) Great producer for sure!!!

Toxicity sounds good, so does Artist in the Ambulance. What I like about Andy's mix is that he uses fat kicks, not mid scooped clicky ones.

Personally I just love the way he has a lot of diversity in his mixing, plus the way he finds the right sound for each band. I think these days a lot of albums sound similar production wise.

Been checking out some of these mixes.

The 'Perfect Circle' record isn't one I can really gel with musically, so the production doesn't translate as all too great for me either. Just not really feeling anything exemplary.

I regret throwing away 'Significant Other' back in high school. Chocolate Starfish seems to have some brutal moments though, like Rollin'. Not sure if its as massive as 'Untouchables'.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Will keep checking out more... RATM is next on the list.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfD_My96lTo&feature=related[/ame]

Anyone who isn't knocked back a few inches physically by the breakdown at 2:48 is not human. Fucking epic.

Been checking out some of these mixes.

The 'Perfect Circle' record isn't one I can really gel with musically, so the production doesn't translate as all too great for me either. Just not really feeling anything exemplary.

I regret throwing away 'Significant Other' back in high school. Chocolate Starfish seems to have some brutal moments though, like Rollin'. Not sure if its as massive as 'Untouchables'.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Will keep checking out more... RATM is next on the list.

The first RATM record might be a little too early 90s (well duh, it was released in 1992) for the kind of production references you're looking for.
Undeniably an amazing mix for it's time and there's not a mix I can think of from that period that's better, so I suppose if a band comes in and says "We want a mix similar to RATM's debut album" you can't go wrong.

All the drop D songs were tracked with a drop D Telecaster (Tom Morello has had a tendency to track songs with guitars he likes to use live as well) with single coils too, so quite a contrast to the thicker humbucker Drop D sound we tend to hear.

Marshall JCM2205 (so a fairly open sound that isn't super saturated and gainy like Nevermore or KSE or a bazillion other modern metal bands, and the single coils of the Telecaster would be fairly low output pickups and a lot more reliance on power amp distortion I would imagine compared to say, a 5150 or Recto), a relatively and Peavey 4x12 (both of which, IIRC, Tom Morello has owned since the 80s) as well which is certainly not a common combination to use in the studio, which is be info that may or may not interest you.

Yes, I agree, his versatility is great. The drawback is that not all the records come out phenomenal, but at the very least they tend to vibe the right way for the band in question. As far as the average listener is concerned as long as it sounds 'right', it doesn't have to sound stellar, or perfectly mixed either. When it comes to an issue of that vs stamping the same production on every band, I'll take the AW approach any day.

Indeed, dude!!
Giving a band it's own sound as a producer is way harder and requires way more talent!

On topic, Chaos AD is one of my favorites. I don't really remember if the mix is that great nowadays, but back then it was really superior to what I was used to listen!

Not sure how many of you young guys were alive when Chaos AD came out, but it was like nothing you'd ever heard before. There's no comparison these days. A lot of guys (including me) hated that cd because it sounded so different. But then it grew on me and it's one of my favorite all-time records.

FWIW I've heard he does mixes in no more than 3 hours per song - does a LOT of fader riding, gets through them quick, and then has the band suggest changes. There was a guy on here who used to post more (totally blanking on his screen name, but it's Nick Ledesma) who got to do a Skype-style interview with him as part of an AE class he was taking a few months back. I'll see if I can't get him on here to share what he knows.

andy wallace mixed choc starfish

i think it was brendan o brien who did sig other. not sure which i prefer mix wise, but both are awesome in their own way. listen to boiler, what a tune and everything sounds incredible. iowa is an awesome sounding album in its unique way - for me this is exactly the right sound for the band/album.

surprised by the lack of mentions nevermind by nirvana, very obvious choice. also the songs he mixed for foo fighters are very good (learn to fly, aurora, live-in skin).

I'm totally impressed with the variety of bands he has worked with, fucking awesome.