Andy Wallace's best mixes?

Cheers for that, Egan - I didn't realize he mixed Coheed & Cambria's IV album. Definitely check that one out, Ermz - if you can find a way to get into the vocals (and eventually appreciate them for being as awesome as they are unique), that's a stellar album, musically and mix wise.

Wow I had no idea Andy Wallace did The Artist in The Ambulance! No wonder that album sounds so damn good!

Me neither! Now that I look at that list, a lot of my favorite CD's spanning through out my life have been done by Andy Wallace, System Of A Down, Linkin Park, Sum 41, Rancid, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, Slayer, simply awesome. Probably my favorite mixer.

i'm surprised no one mentioned nevermind!!!! that's a real classic all the way around and really got him on the map as far as "big time" recognition because he had has name on the biggest album of that era and one of the biggest of all time. i read in an interview with butch vig that they were going through the list of mixers to choose and thehy had all these fancy bigshot guys at the time like bob clearmountain and stuff with ritzy credits and then kurt cobain saw "andy wallace - slayer" and he was like "i want that guy!!!!" it was very funny to read lol...

i really like anything that guy does and he's my fav mixer but i'd say what really sticks out to me is the linkin park stuff (i prefer meteora it's just simply massive and is so much more solid and low endy than hybrid theory IMO but both are great), system of a down toxicity and hypnotize/mesmerize (which have awesome low gain but still heavy guitars) and what i think is truly a gem in audio engineering and production and a showcase of the gods is APC - 13th step. it's so intricate and the depth and 3D and really puts you in a space. to me it's the "sistine chapel" of AW discogrpahy and probably one of the best mixes ever. if you listen to that thing on headphones all the way through and pay attention its amazing how its really "mixed"

to me he's amazing because he has the unique ability to have such depth and perspective in his mixes and sheer dynamics but still have slammmmmmmed compression and in your face everything. and it's also impressive having a client list as broad as kelly clarkson, paul mccartney, dashboard confessional and then run-dmc, afrikan bambaataa, sepultura, atreyu, korn, brekaing benjamin etc. etc.

between him and chris lord-alge they pretty much cover like 85% of every mainstream pop-rock, rock, hard rock, and mainstream metal album in the last 20 years.

on edit: my official AW personal top 10 in no order

APC - 13th step
LP - meteora
nirvana - nevermind
SOAD - hypnotize/mesmerize (how can such low gain guitars so goddamn heavy????? how can such stripped production sound so full and powerful????)
SOAD - toxicity
RATM - RATM
Foo Fighters - There Is Nothing Left To Lose
velvet revolver - contraband
sepultura - roots
chevelle - this type of thinking

great post (i also mentioned nevermind).

although he only mixed 3 songs off there is nothing left to lose (the 3 tracks sound incredible).

really? didn't know that, haven't physically looked at my cd in like 10 years just have some songs in the ipod and the whole thing in itunes. as long as he mixed "learn to fly" lol

for some stupid reason just the reverb on the tambourine in that song during the verse is enough for me lol :loco:

That interview was a good one. It confirmed I was using the GSSL almost exactly as he was using his bus comp. Always thought I was retarded for not running at 100ms release, because it pumped too much, but turns out AW does auto-release too.

Sevendust's Home. The drum production is pretty raw, but the album stills sounds fucking HUGE. I really dig the way the guitars and bass are separated throughout the album, especially in "Crumbled". Sometimes, it can be cool NOT to have them gel. "Denial" is another highlight. :headbang:

He has some interesting techniques indeed!
Yesterday I ran into these while reading a post on another forum (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...andy-wallaces-huge-but-tight-bass-mixing.html)

He used little to no outboard gear.

Monitors at whisper like volumes.

Used ambient samples of the kick and snare to achieve size and stabilty from the drums. No reverb on the real kick and snare, but plenty of tiled room and large chamber on the samples.

But as stated above, he would automate every fader. If the cymbals were not being played, they were turned down a little. When hit, he would ride them up. He was conducting the mix, bringing out every last drop of anything to make the songs come alive! The chorus would get a master fader ride to give it more impact. Everything was always heard, and that is not the easiest thing to do. Much attention to detail to make sure if something cool was happening it was heard.

Bear in mind when they say 'he used little to no outboard gear', they actually mean that he mixes most of it with the EQs and comps on a REAL SSL DESK. So he isn't doing it ITB, but he's also not bussing out to outboard compressors, EQs etc. all that often.

What I love about these rock uber-mixers is how much they ride everything. Half the mix is created by them conducting it on the spot.

yeah a ME i was talking to during an attended session had some unmastered AW mixes and they rocked!!

he also told me through knowing him and conversations he basically uses nothing other than fine tuning stuff and effects as far as outboard gear and he uses mostly la610 on vocals and relies on ssl desk compression and eq for everything else. those ssl strip compressors do sound bangin on drums and such!!! you always hear the same compressor on kick and snare on all his mixes it has this signature "snap" and "slap" to it very crispy but warm.

Love the drum and bass sounds on Rollins Band- The End of Silence. The bass tone is just gnarly. One of my favorite albums ever.

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step

Totally agree on all points on this so far. I really think it has a lot to do with Maynards vision aswell as Andy's. I think the combination of the 2 just made this album sound amazing. Its edgy, in your face, tight, and the low end it just ridiculously tight on it.

Love the entire album and how seamless it all works together.