Andy why Impact?

fistula

Producer/Mixing Engineer
Jul 18, 2006
hi Andy - i know that you use in your master chain Impact.
I think you use it coz of SSL sound.
is there any alternative to Impact in native format that you like?

and yeah - also in your master chain is Cranesong Phoenix - its a bundle of plugs.. which one you use - and what do you think - is el fatso - as good as Phoenix?

thanks for answer man) i also love waves SSL)

never used Phoenix - so really dont know what it does - and what this means "warms")) heh

I actually use the waves ssl most times now, but impact is ok.

I love cranesong phoenix tho, definitely warms it up just nicely.

I've heard nothing but praise when it comes to the phoenix, i just wish they would make a PC compatible version of it.

Not Andy, but I just started using Impact on my Master Bus and I get a little extra punch that reacts differently than other compressors. I can feel it working instead of just hearing it if that makes any sense. I haven't used SSL gear so I can't compare the sound.

The Phoenix seems to have different colors to it and the output control adds a certain brightness or warmth of sort. The only other tape emulation I have tried is Massey Tape and it seems Overdrive more than I would like it to.

Charles Dye also uses Impact in his Master chain on the Mix it Like a Record DVD as well as DUY Tape in place of Phoenix.

I have been using MCDSP AC1 and just added Impact, and Cranesong Phoenix in my Master Bus and am digging it.

I got tired of seeing all these cool plug-ins and processing that I couldnt use so I sold my Nuendo Setup for the HD.

Even LE gives you a chance at some Native stuff but its still lacking for some cool plugs.

If all of your software is legal, (Nuendo 3 and Waves Mercury) you could have bought Pro Tools HD instead and been able to use the Impact and Phoenix plugin.
:p

I've heard nothing but praise when it comes to the phoenix, i just wish they would make a PC compatible version of it.

as i know thre's a PC version - but the plug is TDM only - thats the main problem - i cant even demo it...

If all of your software is legal, (Nuendo 3 and Waves Mercury) you could have bought Pro Tools HD instead and been able to use the Impact and Phoenix plugin.
for me its more comfortable to work in nuendo... i own a PT M-powered... but use it really rare...

and if you're here andy - one more question:
i know you use Metric Halo Channel Strip on all of your drums - any substitute for this?

I actually use the waves ssl most times now, but impact is ok.

I love cranesong phoenix tho, definitely warms it up just nicely.

I've recently just got into the Cranesong Phoenix plug-ins too...awesome stuff.

Have you ever tried them on individual tracks? I've had some cool results w/ the Dark Essence on Drum Busses or anything to add a little bit of Warmth and Punch. The Raident and Luster ones are pretty cool also.