2 andy.

Of course it isn't true that just slapping a preset on a track would automagically make it sound sweet as hell, but I must say that Andy's C4 preset has _almost_ always worked for me with very little tweaking. Naturally it doesn't fit in every kind of hi-gain guitar tone, but for me I have usually tweaked the settings until I finally end up with something very similiar to the preset. Don't know why, I'm just an amateur, but that's what I've noticed :)

Of course it isn't true that just slapping a preset on a track would automagically make it sound sweet as hell, but I must say that Andy's C4 preset has _almost_ always worked for me with very little tweaking. Naturally it doesn't fit in every kind of hi-gain guitar tone, but for me I have usually tweaked the settings until I finally end up with something very similiar to the preset. Don't know why, I'm just an amateur, but that's what I've noticed :)

I would say that this is because for the most part, guitar tracks are pretty controlled (frequency wise) except for the low mids on those lower chugging parts, and Andy's preset will always be at least pretty close to what you need to control those low mids, when the low mids actually need controlling.

I've never been a fan of presets. Using your ears is more fun.

WOW, you got really good ears.
or maybe he just realizes that to get good one must practice properly because while cheating from crib notes may sometimes lead to a passing grade in exams it will never lead to becoming an accomplished, reknowned professional.

or maybe he just realizes that to get good one must practice properly because while cheating from crib notes may sometimes lead to a passing grade in exams it will never lead to becoming an accomplished, reknowned professional.

Also means you'll never actually develop your own technique... which makes you a behringer 5150... instead of a peavey.

It's obvious that those plugin presets are useless and is better to know how to operate the knobs, but I was talking about "Andy's preset", fuckers hahah :~

James Murphy: You have walked a long road, but in my case I'm nothing, and I use to learn with good examples.

About recording with the SM58, I saw something http://noise101.wikidot.com/pro-tips written here and I thought that was from Andy. Sorry.

James Murphy: You have walked a long road, but in my case I'm nothing, and I use to learn with good examples.
the point is that most all eq examples will be nearly useless unless you have the exact same recording to work with as the person who made the mix you are trying to mimic... your best bet is to start from scratch and make what you have sound like the finished sounds you admire by actually using the EQ's controls.... you'll learn that way. and further to the point, there is no "Andy's preset"... same as any other mixer in the world he eq's based on what's recorded. you are totally missing the point.... sorry.

as far as very general starting points... those, i'm sure, have all been covered in these pages many times over. Search Function.

the point is that most all eq examples will be nearly useless unless you have the exact same recording to work with as the person who made the mix you are trying to mimic... your best bet is to start from scratch and make what you have sound like the finished sounds you admire by actually using the EQ's controls.... you'll learn that way. and further to the point, there is no "Andy's preset"... same as any other mixer in the world he eq's based on what's recorded. you are totally missing the point.... sorry.

as far as very general starting points... those, i'm sure, have all been covered in these pages many times over. Search Function.

+1 And some recordings Andy makes will be with different drumkits, etc. So even he won't use presets I imagine.