Andy Winter Gear Talk?

Jerich

Progressive doom
Jan 10, 2005
Phila Pa Suburbs
www.seasonofmourning
Hey Andy can we get a rundown on your equipment for recording the winds Cd's and maybe the "age of Silence" stuff too? you get some smoothe layered tones...is it hard to make sure all the string arrangements stay in tune with guitars/and Keys? i found it always to be a problem... :yell:

Jerich said:
Hey Andy can we get a rundown on your equipment for recording the winds Cd's and maybe the "age of Silence" stuff too? you get some smoothe layered tones...is it hard to make sure all the string arrangements stay in tune with guitars/and Keys? i found it always to be a problem... :yell:

Hi Jerich,

For Winds I usually don't use anything except for a piano. There are no synthesizers or keyboards at all on the last record, so it's completely organic.

On the recordings I have used two different kinds of pianos, a Yamaha C7 Grand and a Bosendorfer Model 290 Concert Grand. I usually prefer the Bosendorfer even though I don't mind playing the Yamaha either. I may use some organs on the next record but piano is still my main instrument in Winds.

In Age of Silence it's a completely different matter. That's sort of my electronic musical playground so I have used almost anything in the field of analogue and digital synthesizers (too many to mention), radio wave synthesizers, organs, moogs, mellotrone, you name it. I have used a lot of effects as well, both stand alone units and software VST effects, Pro Tools effects and things of that nature. I also have a range of software synths of surprisingly good quality that I like to use for certain effects.

As for keeping the string instruments in tune, that can often be a known challenge when recording, especially since the string players tend to like to tune their instrument to their own ear rather than the music they are playing to. It also comes down to how experienced the players are, and how well the arrangements have been written by the band ahead of time. Because string instruments do not have frets, the string players have to know exactly where to place their fingers to hit the right notes and to keep the notes in tune.

We use professional players from the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, so they do not usually have this problem, but they are also very expensive. (In the ballpark of $400-500 per hour for a quartet). I have heard some nice recordings where amateurs have been used too, in fact most metal bands that I know of with a few exceptions use people from the music conservatory or similar, as they cannot afford to hire professionals. But this can be risky depending on the experience of these musicians, and the saying "you get what you pay for" usually applies. At least this is my experience although I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule.

But if the guitars and the piano are in tune to begin with, which hopefully they are, then if the string players tune their instruments accordingly it should not be a problem as long as they do not play out of tune. When recording I would recommend tuning all guitars after each take until it stops changing pitch, and then between each 2-3 takes and so on. New strings before recording is a must, and I would recommend throwing them out after a week of non-use if it's for a recording. Some people think this is excessive but most engineers I talk to say the same thing. Another thing to keep in mind which we experienced when recording the strings in the winter time, was the change in pitch on the instruments due to temperature variations. When coming out from the cold and into the studio it took about a half an hour before their instruments started sounding like they should. In fact it was not pleasant listening at all up until the point where they had tuned their instruments properly. So paying close attention to tuning is a necessity to achieve a good result.

Regards,
Andy Winter

simply put this is one of the best Responses i have ever gotten...

I record alot of bands and have Vioiln/viola/cello/piano stringed instruments in my own band and I find at times it is really hard to keep everything in true tune...at times even knowning a note is in tune to the ear it sounds out...hearing deception..I have thrown out quit a few good ideas just because of my damn ears heheh!!!! i like rent musicians from the local Philaharmonic too..and yes thery are 80 hr or so each an hour but they will not freelance they want everything staffed out and time signitured..thats a hassel..in my band we have players who play said instruments so it makes for a better time when doing them...this was a great thread...this is a problem not many are aware of when mixing real stringed instruments..plus the band tunes a full step down to (D)=major and that also adds trouble to instruments that are used to tuning standard E=440.

I have been using a Korg trinty 88, and a roland xp-90 with added mother boards. :worship: with Presonus eureka pres/daking pres...I have never used the computers ampfarm or oberhiem software before it is killer to see you use those...what is your one peice of gear you could not live with out...? :D

I'm glad you found what I had to say useful. When reading your reply, another thing that comes to mind is to have the guitars set up properly according to what kind of tuning you will be playing in. Many people are under the misconceived impression that if you want to detune all the strings on your guitar one diatone, that all you have to do is to tune the E string to a D and follow in the same manner with the rest of the strings.

This is not so. Detuning the guitar from a typical E to a D tuning (in other words EADGBE to DGCFAD) changes the pitch relation between the different notes higher up on the fretboard. This is the case for any kind of tuning changes, but obviously the greater the detuning the greater the problem. Most guitars will come set up from the factory with the standard E tuning, and while these changes in the intonation may not be as noticable with purely guitar oriented music, it will definitely cause a problem in a mix with other instruments like synths or keyboards, which are mathematically tuned to be in absolute pitch. As a result the guitars will sound out of tune.

The solution: Take the guitar into the nearest music store and ask them to set up the guitar according to your preferred tuning. This is a much neglected area even among professional musicians.

Regards,
Andy

yes you are correct andy!! i went through the hassel a few years ago of learning the exzact size gauge strings to use for each of my seven strings to keep the Low (A*D*G*C*F*A*D) High tuning in perfect intonation with the guitar..(AND IT MUST ME A NECK THRU INSTRUMENT) bolt ons have uneven temperment.Even knowing some of the gauges of the strings are uneven to the touch in a small amount of time they feel confortable...I am endorsed by a string company so I get my strings cheaper (but not for free) and am very happy.

He Who Dwellest the night! (killer name by the way!) I play in a few bands

www.seasonofmourning.com
www.polterchrist.net
Fleshnotes-jazz trio
Hellmouth _PA techno (ala Limbonic art-ish)
Jerich-solo shred Guitar artist