Anette

I agree batera! I was just thinking about this today myself. For me there's that kind of difference between guitarist-songwriters and keyboardist-songwriters. Songs written by guitarists (like Mike Romeo of Symphony X or Timo Tolki of Stratovarius) may be sweeping and grand, and may be based on fantasy themes or epic stories, but they always *sound* like a guitarist wrote them, in that the story and melody play background (along with the bass, drums, keyboards, and vocals) to the guitar... everything is just there as a vehicle for the guitarist to play his technical guitar riffs. The writers may not intend this, but it's how it comes across, at least to me. (even before I know about a band, just hearing a song may make me think "sounds like the songwriter is the guitarist" and I'm usually right, hehe)... Whereas keyboardist-songwriters (a la Tuomas of NW or Toni Kakko of Sonata Arctica) appreciate the guitar, but blend it in evenly with the other instruments and vocals, and all these things work together to support the story of the song... they bring you into the beginning of the story, help you travel along with it to the end. The storytelling is paramount. This is what makes me love Nightwish so much I think. I love SymX and Strato and other "guitar-bands" too, but their songs leave me somewhat cold. I appreciate their style and proficiency, but they never make me "feel". It's a rare songwriter that has that gift. Annette definitely succeeds in helping tell Tuomas's stories when she sings, so even though she may not be a technical whiz singing-wise, she certainly does alright by me :) :)

I agree batera! I was just thinking about this today myself. For me there's that kind of difference between guitarist-songwriters and keyboardist-songwriters. Songs written by guitarists (like Mike Romeo of Symphony X or Timo Tolki of Stratovarius) may be sweeping and grand, and may be based on fantasy themes or epic stories, but they always *sound* like a guitarist wrote them, in that the story and melody play background (along with the bass, drums, keyboards, and vocals) to the guitar... everything is just there as a vehicle for the guitarist to play his technical guitar riffs. The writers may not intend this, but it's how it comes across, at least to me. (even before I know about a band, just hearing a song may make me think "sounds like the songwriter is the guitarist" and I'm usually right, hehe)... Whereas keyboardist-songwriters (a la Tuomas of NW or Toni Kakko of Sonata Arctica) appreciate the guitar, but blend it in evenly with the other instruments and vocals, and all these things work together to support the story of the song... they bring you into the beginning of the story, help you travel along with it to the end. The storytelling is paramount. This is what makes me love Nightwish so much I think. I love SymX and Strato and other "guitar-bands" too, but their songs leave me somewhat cold. I appreciate their style and proficiency, but they never make me "feel". It's a rare songwriter that has that gift. Annette definitely succeeds in helping tell Tuomas's stories when she sings, so even though she may not be a technical whiz singing-wise, she certainly does alright by me :) :)

One thing that is rare is when the keyboardist is the songwriter. All one has to do is listen to Emppu. The notes that he plays on guitar sounds like they were made for the keyboard. But, that is what makes the guitar play special. You find a different dimension that you thought could not be possible on the guitar.

You guys hear about Anette walking off stage crying on Monday night during Poet and Pendulem. Bad way to end off something great, but I'm really curious about whats going on with Anette. I hope shes doing alright you know.I'm new to the Nightwish forums by the way.

Saw this too.
I have heard "rumors" on what this was all about.
I certainly don't want to start anything on here, so I will keep it to myself unless I read some confirmation.

Sounds like she is going through some tough times.

Just heard about it today.

Jason, I've heard the rumors as well. If it is what I think it is, Nightwish will be looking for a new lead singer soon.

Rumours and speculations will spread, but until Anette decides to make her private things public, (don't think so...) those'll be all we ever hear and your guess is as good as mine or anyone else's.

about it:
"... our vocalist was not, really not to doing this kind of heavy s**t right now ... so I'm very sorry for that, and for you and for her ... because she's got some very intense trouble right now and we can't really help it... "

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree... No one knows 100%.
Based on rumors I heard, I don't think it means that she necessarily will be booted. I guess we probably all heard various things.....

Can anyone make out what the crowd is chanting after she leaves?
I like them both.
I'm not going to lie, I prefer Tarja, and I was very excited when I found out she's singing NW songs on her solo tour.
But to be honest, I view old and new Nightwish as different bands, both of which I would consider my favourite.
I think that moving onto Anette's vocal style was the wisest thing to do, I think I would've really disliked a new singer with the same style as Tarja purely out of principal.
I like it when Anette sings some old NW songs, like Dark Chest of Wonders, but others I really wish she wouldn't do, like Ever Dream (although I know alot of people disagree with that...) and Nemo.

I've seen several clips about her leaving the stage on Youtube and other websites. The fans start chanting A-net-te, A-net-te, A-net-te...

Also, there definitely can be seen huge cloud of chemical smoke (CO2 smoke is cold, it floats on the floor) blown to the stage behind and above her from right side of the view just when she starts singing the last verses, but it's just maybe the last straw to the burden, whatever it was. Since then she has performed two shows without any visible problems any more. Must have been a bad day witha combination of issues, it happens.

OFF

I didn't find any topic to introduce myself, so here it is.

Hi, this is my first post here. I used to visit the very old OSA and sometimes post there (I even used to chat a lot with a member on msn about different NW-related conspirational theories :D), but that has been for quite some years now. Luckily I've rediscovered this board again. I'll start off with some ranting. :D

ON

NIGHTWISH Singer ANETTE OLZON Explains Decision To Hire Personal Manager

Ech. People are so ignorant in the comments.

"There is also the fact that King Foo has worked with the NIGHTWISH guys for ten years and is therefore more at their service."

The history repeats itself part is not interesting because Anette does hire a manager, but because of the fact that she needs one, otherwise King Foo doesn't care. What's this differerncing inside the band, that just sounds ridiculous. Seems that Ewo and the guys still haven't learned that unless they're gonna go "only Marco" they will need to give their singer proper food, sleep, etc, unless she'll go mute and/or perform badly. Anette's constant breakdowns and sicknesses are proving me that Tarja's requests were really not because of being a diva, but because she knows herself and how singing works.

I see this whole clothing thing as a cover story for many other fights. Clothes can't be this big issue, and Anette has stated earlier that even quitting was an option for her. No singer can be on the road with 4 drunken Finns who party all night AND able to sing the next day. However metal and cool it is, it's impossible! How on Earth did they think that Miss No Eperience can beat off a pro classical singer when it comes to saving your voice on tour? I feel that the only thing they wanted is a whatever medicore beginner with a nice personality who will sign whatever contracts they want, do as much concerts they want, no matter if that means losing performance quality.

I feel sorry for Anette and kinda hate King Foo now. And if I would be her, I'd hit a vocal coach to get some extra support fo these big tours. She obviously doesn't have such a strong voice.

I'd totally agree with the vocal coach idea.

And about Anette... her voice isn't unique at all, it sounds like lots of other singers. But it *is* a very sweet, calming voice, and it's growing on me. I doubt any problems will make her quit Nightwish, and from what I see the rest of the tour is good to go.

I hope with their next album they will do a couple soft songs where she can just sing softly and sweetly; I enjoy her when she goes louder and pushes a bit, but I LOVE her soft sweet sound that we got to hear in "The Heart I Once Had". That is her greatest strength, I believe. A sweet, innocent, lovely voice in those softer parts!

Absolutely; that was the one thing I missed on DPP, were the lack of "classic" Nightwish ballads. Yeah, "Eva" and "Meadows" were/are great songs, but it's apparent that because the songs were written before a singer was chosen, that Tuomas appeared to keep it heavy (because no matter what kind of voice she might have had, songs like "7 Days" or "Bye Bye Beautiful" could be pulled off by nearly anyone). So now that he knows Anette's voice and her range, I hope that we will hear more ballads featuring the more emotional side of her voice.

I think THIOH perhaps gives the best show of what Annette can muster. Oddly my favorite song on the CD for her voice and have not seen any indication it was performed on tour.

Jim

I think some people are being a bit unfair.

1) Anette had never toured beyond Sweden before joining Nightwish. Now she's on the road for 2 years, circling the globe multiple times. Let's see how any musician would hold up, especially an operatic style singer.

2) Her meltdown in Brazil was rumored to be because she is getting a divorce and may lose custody of her kid because she's on the road so much.

3) As C notes, DPP was written before she was hired. In fact, much of it was done before they hired her, which was a mistake because they didn't know the range of the new singer before composing the songs. She had to fit herself to the songs, instead of the other way around.

4) If anyone needs to get some shit out of their system it's Tuomas. Even Van Halen didn't put two fuck-you songs to an ex singer on subsequent albums after Roth and Hagar were fired. His letter to Tarja was full of regret, but 'Bye Bye Beautiful' and 'Master Passion Greed' were just plain obnoxious, especially for a guy who's so obsessed with childhood innocence. Maybe he needs another trip to Disneyland.

A LOT is being asked of this woman, more than Tim Owens and Blayze Bailey had to put up with. Quite frankly I'm impressed she hasn't gone totally nuclear yet.