Anette

1) Anette had never toured beyond Sweden before joining Nightwish. Now she's on the road for 2 years, circling the globe multiple times. Let's see how any musician would hold up, especially an operatic style singer.

Absolutely, this is one of the differences of opinion between Nightwish and Tarja that was stated in the open letter; they wanted to do more shows, she didn't (because she probably couldn't).

2) Her meltdown in Brazil was rumored to be because she is getting a divorce and may lose custody of her kid because she's on the road so much.

Well, whatever the reasons are, it's like I said over at Nightwish forum, everyone has their breaking points, everyone has their moments where they can't take another moment of bullsh*t. Whatever it may have been, Anette obviously had a moment like that.

3) As C notes, DPP was written before she was hired. In fact, much of it was done before they hired her, which was a mistake because they didn't know the range of the new singer before composing the songs. She had to fit herself to the songs, instead of the other way around.

True, but I was reading an interview with Tuomas around the time Anette was announced, and he said that all along the other people who sent in demo tapes were "competing" against Anette, so I wonder if some of the songs written during that period did not have her in mind even a little bit, if this statement is true.

4) If anyone needs to get some shit out of their system it's Tuomas. Even Van Halen didn't put two fuck-you songs to an ex singer on subsequent albums after Roth and Hagar were fired. His letter to Tarja was full of regret, but 'Bye Bye Beautiful' and 'Master Passion Greed' were just plain obnoxious, especially for a guy who's so obsessed with childhood innocence. Maybe he needs another trip to Disneyland.

Well, one difference between Tuomas and, say, EVH as songwriters, is that Van Halen has never prided themselves on being a band who writes lyrics about deep emotions. :lol: Honestly, I think if EVH had written a song or two saying "f*ck you Sammy and Dave, you're jerks", he might be a lot better off than he is nowadays, which is erasing past members off of old album covers, calling one singer back after he tires of the other, etc.

Not that I'm trying to defend Tuomas by any means, since they are not my lyrics, but he has said many times that his lyrics are like "pages from his diary", so naturally he is going to be more vocal about his inner feelings in his lyrics than a songwriter who wants to focus more on writing songs about drinking and screwing chicks (not that Tuomas does not have lyrics that point at those subjects from time to time). Now, if the next album still had lyrics referring to Tarja and Marcelo or that incident, then I would really have to wonder what the hell was wrong with him. But seeing as how that incident was going on and was still fresh at the time he was writing it, it didn't surprise me that those kind of lyrics ended up being on the album.

A side note, this reminds me of the argument we had at the old OSA board back before Anette was even named as singer, all the people who swore up and down that Tuomas was so "above" writing about the split between Nightwish and Tarja...I sometimes wonder what those people especially thought of the lyrics of "Master Passion Greed" or "Bye Bye Beautiful".

A LOT is being asked of this woman, more than Tim Owens and Blayze Bailey had to put up with. Quite frankly I'm impressed she hasn't gone totally nuclear yet.

Oh yeah, in fact, I'm sure it's a lot of the same people who cried to give those guys a chance who are the hardest on Anette. But we all know that a lot of it has to do with the fact that she's a woman. Much as I hate to use the sexist card, it's a fact of life, there are still many sexist people in the world, even among those who are tolerant of a female voice in metal.

Absolutely, this is one of the differences of opinion between Nightwish and Tarja that was stated in the open letter; they wanted to do more shows, she didn't (because she probably couldn't).

And Tarja didn't help by literally sabotaging tours. I only flipped through 'Once Upon a Nightwish,' but it looks like they were all set up to do a US tour after the success of 'Once' and she and her husband scuttled it. That was the last straw.

True, but I was reading an interview with Tuomas around the time Anette was announced, and he said that all along the other people who sent in demo tapes were "competing" against Anette, so I wonder if some of the songs written during that period did not have her in mind even a little bit, if this statement is true.

I'd kill to know who the serious contenders were. The more I listen to Floor Jansen the more I wonder how she could handle NW songs. Tuomas will never say, so it more or less depends on the singer to come forward. I know the final decision came down to Anette or one other girl. I'd love to know who it was.

Now, if the next album still had lyrics referring to Tarja and Marcelo or that incident, then I would really have to wonder what the hell was wrong with him.

Agreed.

Oh yeah, in fact, I'm sure it's a lot of the same people who cried to give those guys a chance who are the hardest on Anette. But we all know that a lot of it has to do with the fact that she's a woman. Much as I hate to use the sexist card, it's a fact of life, there are still many sexist people in the world, even among those who are tolerant of a female voice in metal.

Ah come on, don't go playing the gender card.

And Tarja didn't help by literally sabotaging tours. I only flipped through 'Once Upon a Nightwish,' but it looks like they were all set up to do a US tour after the success of 'Once' and she and her husband scuttled it. That was the last straw.

Yeah, pretty much. And I think that's why a lot of fans have this sort of bitterness towards her, even now, because for all the kicking and screaming she did about not wanting to come to the U.S. because of the small venues, what is she doing now? Touring the U.S., at the very same venues she didn't want to deal with when she was in Nightwish. :rolleyes:

I just finished reading that book a couple weeks ago, and as far as Tarja snubbing her American audience goes, there was nothing in there that surprised me.

I'd kill to know who the serious contenders were. The more I listen to Floor Jansen the more I wonder how she could handle NW songs. Tuomas will never say, so it more or less depends on the singer to come forward. I know the final decision came down to Anette or one other girl. I'd love to know who it was.

Well, I doubt Tuomas would ever say simply out of respect to who he didn't pick. I mean, could you imagine the blow to that girl's ego? (Well, unless it was someone already well-known, like Floor or Vibeke or someone like that.)

Ah come on, don't go playing the gender card.

Oh no, I'm not a feminist by any means. :lol: And I certainly don't think it's the only reason that people are being unfair to Anette. I do think it's a reason for some folks, but not everyone. And certainly not a large percentage.

Hi there! New to this forum but not to the band. Is there any word on whether Anette will "be back" or not?

/SE

I didn't know she went anywhere. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't think Anette was ever fired or left the band. Those were just rumors going around. Funny, the gig in Brazil happened nearly 6 months ago and people are still circulating these rumors around. ;)

Check out our newly-launched website to read up on the current Nightwish news (link is the second banner in my sig). The only "news" in there that is not factual or confirmed by the band's official site is our little April Fool's joke from a few days ago. :)

And welcome to the board!
waveyfrood.gif

I don't think any other big metal singers applied or were a contender out of respect for Tarja (I can't help but feel it would be pretty embarrassing for her if their new singer was preferred by the majority).
At least that's how my naive everyone is bffs mentality works.

I realize I'm probably not adding anything new to this thread, however, Anette and Tarja are two different people with different vocal styles and, ultimately, they're both masters of their own craft; I think comparing one to the other is silly and, ultimately, leads to a lot of wasted energy that could be used towards other more useful (and better) things!

For me personally, I think Dark Passion Play is the best Nightwish record yet although, admittedly, that is more-so because of the compositions, melodies, instrumentation, lyrics, etc. - however! - Anette absolutely plays a large part in that likeness, too! :)

I'm not going to lie, I prefer Tarja, and I was very excited when I found out she's singing NW songs on her solo tour.
I like it when Anette sings some old NW songs, like Dark Chest of Wonders, but others I really wish she wouldn't do, like Ever Dream (although I know alot of people disagree with that...) and Nemo.

omg its absolute blasphemy when she sings old nightwish songs.

I think some people are being a bit unfair.

1) Anette had never toured beyond Sweden before joining Nightwish. Now she's on the road for 2 years, circling the globe multiple times. Let's see how any musician would hold up, especially an operatic style singer.

2) Her meltdown in Brazil was rumored to be because she is getting a divorce and may lose custody of her kid because she's on the road so much.

3) As C notes, DPP was written before she was hired. In fact, much of it was done before they hired her, which was a mistake because they didn't know the range of the new singer before composing the songs. She had to fit herself to the songs, instead of the other way around.

4) If anyone needs to get some shit out of their system it's Tuomas. Even Van Halen didn't put two fuck-you songs to an ex singer on subsequent albums after Roth and Hagar were fired. His letter to Tarja was full of regret, but 'Bye Bye Beautiful' and 'Master Passion Greed' were just plain obnoxious, especially for a guy who's so obsessed with childhood innocence. Maybe he needs another trip to Disneyland.

A LOT is being asked of this woman, more than Tim Owens and Blayze Bailey had to put up with. Quite frankly I'm impressed she hasn't gone totally nuclear yet.

She shouldnt be in the band then! Its obvious she cant handle it and its not like she is bringing anything to the band. Firing tarja was the worst thing nightwish ever did and its becoming more obvious every day that they made a mistake. I agree with you on your 4th point. Tuomas sounds like an absolute dick. I thought tarja's I Walk Alone was a good response to his obnoxious behaviour.

I regret wasting my money on Dark Passion Play but at least the special edition has an instrumental version of the cd where anette isnt singing. As you can probably tell i dislike anette with a fiery venemous raging passion.

I regret wasting my money on Dark Passion Play but at least the special edition has an instrumental version of the cd where anette isnt singing. As you can probably tell i dislike anette with a fiery venemous raging passion.

Well that's your mental illness if you're going to waste that much energy on a woman you've never met, doesn't know you and has never done anything to you.

She shouldnt be in the band then! Its obvious she cant handle it and its not like she is bringing anything to the band. Firing tarja was the worst thing nightwish ever did and its becoming more obvious every day that they made a mistake. I agree with you on your 4th point. Tuomas sounds like an absolute dick. I thought tarja's I Walk Alone was a good response to his obnoxious behaviour.

Tarja couldn't handle the NW tour schedule either.
Why do you dislike Anette so much?
I walk alone wasn't a bitchy song by any means, it was more about empowering herself than anything.
A shot at Nightwish is "enough".

I love Anette, I think that she fits Nightwish perfectly, I will even go as far as to say that I wouldn't be into the band if somebody else was singing.

She is a REAL person, with an AWESOME personality, and unfortunantly, she has a weak immune system. She admitted to having asthma on her blog, as well as indoor allergies. Being around chain-smokers can't help that much.

I prefer Tarja and I don't think that Anette fits Nightwish perfectly vocal-wise. Some of the old songs with her voice are a total disaster and even some of the new songs are not that perfect.
I think that without Tarja they lost some of their "magic", at least for me. Anette doesn't convey me the same feelings Tarja's vocals did. As much as I appreciate her as singer, Nightwish lost something.
I don't get all this "she's more down-to-earth" thing just because she talks more and hugs the guys on stage. It's a matter of different characters, Tarja was less extrovert and had a different stage presence.

Freelancer reporter Tiia Santavirta made this excellent inteview with Anette Olzon at Suomi Safari, the Finnish culture festival in Stockholm, Sweden on Aug 13. 2009. Anette also made a bit of history there by performing Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan first time ever (and in the original language Finnish!!!) and her performance of Meadows of Heaven with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra was also the first time the song has been performed live.

Last edited by a moderator: