Anette's statement regarding BH show

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
As you are aware, Anette walked off the stage in Belo Horizonte, Brazil Monday night. This is her statement to Nighwish fans the world over. Courtesy of the Nightwish forum.

Since I joined NW, I was aware of the responsibility it meant, and the tough things I'd have to face. I always tried to do the very best I could to be up to the confidence put on me. Being a vocalist by itself is a tough job. Even more to be the NW vocalist, since it has a bigger complexity, given the high technical level of the band, also due to the band's history, so that when I came they were already on the best moment of their careers. In spite of this honor, when you enter a band the relationship with the audicence can be very difficult, since you feel that you don't want to disappoint anybody. Due to this, nothing I say now can express, my sorrow and frustration for not being able to finish the show in BH.

On stage, the excessive amount of smoke was irritating my vocal cords and when I felt my voice was beginning to go, I ended up in desperation and had to leave the stage. The band tried to gain time so I could recover but I had no way of coming back, since I was not able to sing. I myself could not understand why my voice had gone. I think I had too much of an emotional breakdown since I was concerned for not wanting to disappoint anybody at the moment,since we were all planing DPP as something amazing here in south america. I knew the band had always had a nice relationship with Brazil and they were always describing the brazilian audience as the most enthusiastic and receptive in the world.

I'd like to apologize, with all my heart, to all those who were at the BH show who, somehow, feel disappointed because of me, and for making people of brazil feel this way, when you've been so nice to the band. I hope you will give me another chance to finish here what this time I wasn't able to do this time the way that I always like to, which is the biggest thing in my life: to sing.

Anette Olzon

All is forgiven, and please forgive us for having any doubts. :)

God do I know how fickle an instrument the voice can be, even without a smoke machine in the mix. It's so easy, when you're giving it your all and are so emotionally invested in the moment, to break down when bad things happen like that. Even though she's a professional, she's under so much pressure and scrutiny still. And once you become upset/stressed out/frustrated, it can be next to impossible to get your voice back (spelled the end of my own little singing endeavor a couple years ago). I feel so much compassion for Annette with this, cuz I've gone through it too. Even when I saw her perform in Philly, at one point I saw on her face a "PHEW, I made it!" after a vocally demanding stretch in a song, and my heart went out to her as a fellow singer, cuz I knew *exactly* how she was feeling right then. Hearts and hugs and pats on the back, Annette. It's not an easy job but you give it your best and we love you for it :)

Here is a clip from last night's performance in Brasilia, Brazil. She sounds better.

And, here is Poet and the Pendulum from the same show:

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, I think once the band takes a break, maybe Anette should look into getting some kind of vocal coach to strengthen her vocal cords. I'm not saying this to be rude or condescending, but it appears that her vocal cords are quite sensitive and perhaps there is something she can do to help that. Granted, no one can survive smoke or illness 100%, but the grueling touring schedule that is Nightwish is not going to get easier, and we don't want to see any more cancelled shows than necessary, right?

No apologies needed, Anette. :D

Excess stage smoke as the excuse was first brought up by the Brazilian tour promoter Eric De Haas. Few minutes after the band had left the stage after playing two songs without Anette, he stepped up explaining the situation to the confused crowd. Next day (Nov 11.) his office released in Portuguese a letter of apology (translation above) which was formally signed by Anette Olzon and copies of it was sent to the local media in Belo Horizonte. The same night Nightwish played a full normal gig in Brazil (clips above) and continued the tour without further problems for six more gigs until the last one in Chile on Nov. 23.

Looks to me that whatever problem there was with Anette or her voice, it was only temporary, but serious enough to make her withdraw from the stage that night. The band are pros enough to know and evaluate wether they can proceed or not with suddenly arousing situations. The band made an apology to those concerned on stage already, palyed the songs they could without their vocalist. The crowd got more than an hour worth of live Nightwish + openers, so their loss was maybe three or four songs. It'll be up to the promoter how to handle the possible issues with the crowd if occur any.

I think this case is closed by now. The band are taking the deserved rest and will return in March 2009 touring Europe and in May touring the eastern states of USA to make up the shows on the area where they were forced to cancel shows this year. Of course playing at exactly same venues which were booked for the cancelled shows isn't possible, matching gigs within a two week mini-tour has severe logistical limits.